ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Have the ECU flash completed or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 05:05 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have the ECU flash completed or wait?

I have an appointment for next week, but with the recent news I feel like I want to wait. Some customers are saying the fix is not working.

Also, for almost 4 years and 57K miles, I have never had an issue. My mats are nailed down. You know the saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I am thinking about postponing the appointment. For those of you who have had it completed, is it working properly? Does the car behave any different since the computer has been updated?

Lastly, thinking about taking advantage of the 0% and 2 years free maint. from Toyota and getting another Highlander. Does anyone know if Lexus is doing the same special?
Old 03-06-10, 06:29 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Mine seems to have returned to normal. First week was interesting watching rpms flare and gas mileage drop. This week things have settled out and gas mileage has actually gone up a bit. Still have half a tank from the dealer so jury is still out on the gpm.

I have not tried the gas peddle and brake at the same time though. Don't feel the need to. I know how easy it is to throw it into neutral if the need arises. And the parking brake is still mechanical.

And that is my pessimistic view given all the negative press.
Old 03-06-10, 06:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MD350
Also, for almost 4 years and 57K miles, I have never had an issue. My mats are nailed down. You know the saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I am thinking about postponing the appointment. For those of you who have had it completed, is it working properly? Does the car behave any different since the computer has been updated?
All the extra measures are to ensure that for whatever reason, say a mat comes loose or somehow the pedal gets stuck, there is an extra layer of security. The brake override guarantees that if for whatever reason the car is at WOT, stepping on the brakes will cut engine power and stop the vehicle. Many makes have implemented this, including European brands after early teething troubles with e-throttles, and it has lowered their sudden acceleration complaints dramatically.

Yes, there are some complaints that the fixes 'did not work' which have been hyped by the media. Right now, you can guarantee that there are going to be complaints coming out of the woodwork, legitimate or not. Anyone can file a complaint: http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...225_403524.htm

However, if you have confidence that no floor mat problem can occur, and don't want the ugly cut pedal, then you might consider putting it off--a new finished pedal will be available later this year. However I would prefer to get the brake override although I'm not sure if it would affect the throttle/brake response in other, convenience/feel-oriented ways.

Originally Posted by Macklin
I have not tried the gas peddle and brake at the same time though. Don't feel the need to. I know how easy it is to throw it into neutral if the need arises. And the parking brake is still mechanical.
Neutral is indeed your best bet--exactly the solution that anyone can use in any car with an unintended acceleration situation. If everyone knew that, the recall measures would not be so urgent.

However, the parking brake will only be effective at low speeds; at WOT the parking brake is not very effective; rather switch to neutral and use both feet to press down hard on the brakes.
Old 03-07-10, 05:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I didn't have the throttle overide done on my '07, just the pedal/floor reconfiguration and floor mat swap. I don't think they were doing the ECU update yet when I took the car in mid-January. At least it didn't get done then.

My 2010 came with the ECU update already done and I haven't noticed any difference in throttle response, rpm's etc. It seems seamless to me. I tested it once on an empty stretch of road and the overide seemed to work as advertised.

MD350, I haven't seen any Lexus advertising for the 0% financing and free maintenance. It would be nice if they offered it too.

Last edited by LexBob2; 03-07-10 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-07-10, 08:03 AM
racingt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had it done, it works great! Added measure of security in case anything happens - peace of mind for all who ask.
Old 03-07-10, 03:38 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I didn't have the throttle overide done on my '07, just the pedal/floor reconfiguration and floor mat swap. I don't think they were doing the ECU update yet when I took the car in mid-January. At least it didn't get done then.

My 2010 came with the ECU update already done and I haven't noticed any difference in throttle response, rpm's etc. It seems seamless to me. I tested it once on an empty stretch of road and the overide seemed to work as advertised.

MD350, I haven't seen any Lexus advertising for the 0% financing and free maintenance. It would be nice if they offered it too.
LexBob, called the dealer today. Lexus is offering a $500 loyalty rebate plus the 2.9% for 60.
Old 03-08-10, 06:42 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Bit the bullet. Dropped the car off tonight to have the work done. Cut the pedal, fix the carpet, ECU, the whole 9 yards. Just pulled the mats, I want to keep my original all weather mats.

Thanks you all for your input.
Old 03-08-10, 07:29 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

LexBob, called the dealer today. Lexus is offering a $500 loyalty rebate plus the 2.9% for 60.
md...I will be purchasing 2010 ES on 3/15 with 2.9% @ 36 mos..this has been agreed since Feb...can you tell any info on the 500.00 loyalty offer.
Old 03-08-10, 08:49 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

I just got my recall notice in the mail last week. I agree "if it ain't broke why fix it???". I think I will go ahead with the software fix, but skip the mat 'realignment and pedal shave...
Old 03-09-10, 04:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lex330/04
md...I will be purchasing 2010 ES on 3/15 with 2.9% @ 36 mos..this has been agreed since Feb...can you tell any info on the 500.00 loyalty offer.
You haven't taken delivery of the ES,so you should get the $500.
Old 03-09-10, 07:06 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Correct, the dealer told me that since I am a Lexus owner, I qualify for the $500. Isn't as great as 0% for 60 months and 2 years free maint. like Toyota.
Old 03-09-10, 08:07 AM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

sorry for the repetitiveness but is this( 500.00 ) for maint wk later additional disc on purch or how is it used. I sold my es330--04 yr lexus about 2 weeks ago just trying to clarify...since my deal is 100 % set but if this is available want to ask. thks
Old 03-09-10, 11:53 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I just spoke to the dealer again. Seems this is a regional program, and each dealer only gets a certain number of certificates (like around 10). This is not being advertised. It is treated as cash down.
Old 03-09-10, 04:25 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Got the car back. Full tank, nice job on the pedal, ECU done (but have not tested yet), replaced the oil hose again, car washed, and I still have my original all weather mats. I am happy.
Old 03-09-10, 06:07 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Got the car back. Full tank, nice job on the pedal, ECU done (but have not tested yet), replaced the oil hose again, car washed, and I still have my original all weather mats. I am happy.
Sounds good, but did they tie your mats to the seat rail? and if so what do you think? Thanks

Quick Reply: Have the ECU flash completed or wait?