ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Unsafe vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10 | 03:43 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Simply put, there are no stuck or sticking throttle issues with Lexus or Toyota vehicles. There have been widely publicized, yet rare, floor mat issues, that's all. Just make sure your floor mats are properly installed. I've said this before and I'll say it again. "I would be more than happy to take ANY Lexus or Toyota vehicle that's had a "run-a-way" claim against it and happily drive it DOWN Pikes Peak with my entire family on board without a single worry in the world". That's how confident I am that these claims of faulty electronics are false. I know this because:

1. As a percentage of market share, Toyota's SUA claims are virtually identical to GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, etc. This fact alone, tells me it's driver error.

2. It's been proven again and again that that a Lexus ES350 or V6 Camry can be brought safely to a complete stop rather quickly, even while the vehicle maintains full throttle.

3. To this day, there still has NEVER been found a sticking or stuck gas pedal in ANY Lexus or Toyota vehicle. Toyota's fix of installing a shim in the pedal assembly is because it was found that over time, the pedal could possibly be slow to return due to friction. They've never actually found this to occur, however, it was only a possibility.

4. Rhonda Smith's 2007 ES350 was traded with less than 3,000 miles on the odometer. The new owner has logged 27,000 trouble free miles. The car currently belongs to the NHTSA.

5. The Saylor crash involving a CHP officer in San Diefo was the result of an improper and improperly installed all weather floor mat. Toyota has already been cleared. It was not a fault of the car.

These are the facts. Anyone with an understanding of how ECTS (Electronically Controlled Throttle System) works would know these claims of faulty electronics are false. I implore anyone with any concerns about the safety of their Toyota to head on over to Toyota's web site. They have some outstanding videos laid out in layman's terms for concerned owners.

The only mechanical issue Toyota has had is a drivers right foot.
These facts substantiate that the car was built safe and the concerns raised in the media are bogus.

If these facts don't convince you, then you are suffering from an irrational fear induced by people with an agenda. It's a bit like the irrational fear of WMD many Americans had not that many years ago which was also based on lack of facts.
Old 03-13-10 | 04:07 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

For those of you who worry about losing control of the car, here is a good instructional video. I found this quite illuminating myself.

http://www.youtube.com/v/lZ4PtafRB9c&hl=en_US&fs=1&
Old 03-13-10 | 05:06 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NeverAgain
Have owned (leased) ES350 for 2 months. Very disappointed about safety concerns with SUA, since the ONLY consideration when looking for a new vehicle is safety.

Contacted Lexus Eastern Area office, (having gone through dealer, cs, etc. proper channels), wrote a thoughtful letter about concerns. Their response? An insulting form letter about the floor mats and how the recall has fixed everything.

I'm stuck now with a car that I don't want to drive because it's a roll of the dice every time I get behind the wheel.

(by the way, this vehicle is terrible in snow. slips around on the tiniest gradient if there's any snow).

Can't wait now for people to ask me how I like my car. Lexus' non-response is going to end up costing them. *rant finished*
So you are stuck with driving a death machine for a lease vehicle. The truth will come out eventually and your position will be vindicated. (or not, doesn't matter because the customer is always right anyway)

Practically everything these days has a throttle by wire though and I suspect therein is where the problem ultimately lies.
Old 03-13-10 | 07:40 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Where is Never Again anyway? Never again??