ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Unsafe vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 07:12 AM
NeverAgain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Unsafe vehicle?

Have owned (leased) ES350 for 2 months. Very disappointed about safety concerns with SUA, since the ONLY consideration when looking for a new vehicle is safety.

Contacted Lexus Eastern Area office, (having gone through dealer, cs, etc. proper channels), wrote a thoughtful letter about concerns. Their response? An insulting form letter about the floor mats and how the recall has fixed everything.

I'm stuck now with a car that I don't want to drive because it's a roll of the dice every time I get behind the wheel.

(by the way, this vehicle is terrible in snow. slips around on the tiniest gradient if there's any snow).

Can't wait now for people to ask me how I like my car. Lexus' non-response is going to end up costing them. *rant finished*
Old 03-10-10, 07:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverAgain
Have owned (leased) ES350 for 2 months. Very disappointed about safety concerns with SUA, since the ONLY consideration when looking for a new vehicle is safety.

Contacted Lexus Eastern Area office, (having gone through dealer, cs, etc. proper channels), wrote a thoughtful letter about concerns. Their response? An insulting form letter about the floor mats and how the recall has fixed everything.

I'm stuck now with a car that I don't want to drive because it's a roll of the dice every time I get behind the wheel.

(by the way, this vehicle is terrible in snow. slips around on the tiniest gradient if there's any snow).

Can't wait now for people to ask me how I like my car. Lexus' non-response is going to end up costing them. *rant finished*

Look at the positive side...you only have 34 lease payment months to go!

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-10-10 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-10-10, 07:29 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you had any issues with your car? If you haven't, enjoy it.

I don't worry about being mugged or shot or raped when I leave the house, even though it's a possibility. I don't worry about being struck by lightning or mauled by a dog or being bitten by a black widow, even thought it's a possibility. I don't worry about having a heart attack or stroke or choking on a peanut, even thought it's a possibility.

I perform my everyday functions not worrying about the possibility of endangerment. However, I am cautious of the fact that I need to minimize the risk.

Lexus' addressing of the recalls minimizes the risk. That's the best we can do, not only with driving any car, but with every function we do everyday.
Old 03-10-10, 07:32 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got some great new for you! There's nothing wrong with your car.
Old 03-10-10, 07:35 AM
LexFather

Trade in the car, move on.

I know we live in an era where people are scared of everything. Bugs, animals, people, terrorists, cars, balloons, whip cream so either people have to live in a cave or use some common sense.

Also you might need snow tires.

If safety is the first priority maybe check out a Volvo.

The media is sensationalizing stories and confusing the public.
Old 03-10-10, 07:36 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Has your car suddenly accelerated or are you just b*tching?
Old 03-10-10, 07:47 AM
outbid81
Driver School Candidate

Buyers remorse is hardly the manufacturer's fault. You bought the car for a reason. Don't let the friggin media sensationalize some crap that has yet to be proven and sway your vote. STAND YOUR GROUND! Put all the info in front of you and ask yourself "Does this really make sense?".
Old 03-10-10, 07:49 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

NEWSFLASH NEWSFLASH NEWSFLASH ******

There is no such thing as the perfect car. They all have problems .....
EXAMPLE: Think the new AUDI Q5 is a nice car?
ANSWER: Go read on their forums about the transmission shifting problems which they cannot seem to fix.

The ES350 is a nice car and I've had my issues too...Trans crapped out at 19k miles, brakes didn't last that long, oil hose recall, etc etc . TOYOTA/LEXUS is getting bashed at every turn lately in the media...however, in my mind it does not mean their car totally stinks.
In regards to the "sudden acceleration" media storm lately, out of all the millions of cars they have made, how many actually have done this? In this day and age, I wouldn't be surprised if people are trying to make some money off Toyota/Lexus by taking advantage of the hysteria.
Bottom line...even if the car were to suddenly accelerate, put it in neutral !

PS - I don't work for Toyota/LEXUS

Ultimately, everyone has to do what makes them happy. If it means dumping the car and taking a financial hit, go for it.
Old 03-10-10, 07:54 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Priuses seem to suddenly accelerate every day now if you read Autoblog but the drivers are just scammers
Old 03-10-10, 08:22 AM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Officer: Is there a reason for your speeding?

Me: MY ACCELERATOR WAS STUCK! I ALMOST DIED! GOOD THING YOU CAME ALONG TO GET MY CAR TO STOP!
Old 03-10-10, 08:54 AM
rhudson2
Driver School Candidate

If you let yourself believe everything you hear you are in deep doo doo my friend. Cars do not crash themselves any more than planes crash themselves. Most of the time it is driver/pilot error. I agree with the previous post that you bought the car for a reason. Enjoy it or get rid of it. It is your option but to come on a foruma dn whine about your decision is not at all productive. Go and trade for a GM (government motors) vehichle. Apparently if you believe everything you hear and read about them they are perfect. IMHO.
Old 03-10-10, 09:11 AM
NeverAgain
Driver School Candidate

I cannot get out of the lease. Believe me, I would love nothing more than to drop the car off to Lexus and never look back. I've only had the car 2 months -- it would be to their benefit to just invalidate the lease. I'd be happy to eat the thousands I put down, plus what I have to spend to get a different car. But Lexus won't do it.

That's what I mean when I say "stuck."

And, by the way....yes, everything is a risk. But I don't pay hundreds of dollars a month for the privledge of walking down a dark alley, or through a thunderstorm, or to cross a busy highway. THAT is the point: I am paying for this risk. I'm certain that the electronic throttle controls will eventually be proven the culprit; in the mean time, I'm forced to play pretend with Lexus that the floor mats were a problem.

I have given Lexus the opportunity to take the car back, but I guess they prefer to have a customer who loathes their product. Every time I see that sleek black shark sitting outside, I think of how much I hate the company. Yeah, good move, Lexus.

I tried to play nice with the company, but they won't budge. (and by the way, again: the salesperson should have been obligated to mention these safety concerns before I signed the lease)....so forgive me for trying to spill some frustration with a rant.
Old 03-10-10, 09:26 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

....so forgive me for trying to spill some frustration with a rant.
It's o.k. to release some frustration.

You are on the same boat as hundreds and thousands of people in the community.

But you must think of the rarity of the situation. Over 6+million cars, and 2000 complaints. The probability is that your car is fine. And if you do experience sudden acceleration, then you deal with it appropriately.

My brother has an '07 ES350 just like yours. He's never experienced any sudden acceleration after 60k miles, and he's not panicking at the fact that his car is affected by the floor mat recall. My dad also has an '08 Avalon which has the floor mat AND brake pedal recall. No problems after 25k miles. I have an '10 Rav4, with floor mat AND brake pedal recall. No problems here. And all of us continue to drive our cars everyday.
Old 03-10-10, 09:38 AM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you're stuck and don't want to drive it can I have it? You keep paying the lease and I'll put my life at risk for you. I don't drive many miles to work so I'll be way below the mileage limit at turn in.

I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm in a cranky mood due to a letter I'm having to write for work.

There have been three complaints made to the NHTSA on the 2010 ES 350.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complai...intVersion=YES

Here are the complaints for the 2007, which I own.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complai...intVersion=YES

184 complaints out of 121577 made is .15% complaint rate.

To do a search on another car go here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm

Since you're "stuck" with your car just enjoy it. Have a plan if you ever experience SUA. Put the car in N, hold down the start button for 3 seconds, etc.
Old 03-10-10, 09:40 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

You should be happy you have such a great car. There is nothing wrong with your car, it's all just in your head and that's it. Maybe Lexus will take your car back if you crash it? Think about it

Quick Reply: Unsafe vehicle?