ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Be Careful of the Hype

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-10, 05:22 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Be Careful of the Hype

I cautioned earlier about all of the hype and sensational news that Toyota was getting and how we needed to be careful as to not be a conduit for just more negative news...well it turns out that the so-called 'runaway' Toyota Prius in CA we've been hearing so much about may indeed be a hoax because federal safety investigators could not replicate the fault, find article here:

http://detnews.com/article/20100314/...-Prius-account

Keep in mind that this article was ran by the Detroit News, yeah where the Big Three has it's headquarters. I think we just need to be careful and don't allow ourselves to get caught up in all the drama, sure we have our issues here with Lexus, but the ES IMO is still a great car, that I will surely buy again and indeed Toyota will be making even better cars in the future....
Old 03-15-10, 05:51 AM
TalkLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LexPaul
...Keep in mind that this article was ran by the Detroit News, yeah where the Big Three has it's headquarters. I think we just need to be careful and don't allow ourselves to get caught up in all the drama, sure we have our issues here with Lexus, but the ES IMO is still a great car, that I will surely buy again and indeed Toyota will be making even better cars in the future....
Thank you.
Old 03-15-10, 07:11 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TalkLexus
Thank you.
You're welcome TalkLexus, now it looks like the can of worms have been opened on Chrysler and Ford, see link below, they have their own acceleration woes...Oh My!!....

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-s...=hp:mainpromo1
Old 03-16-10, 10:09 AM
gary1944
Driver School Candidate

Default Hype

Couldn't agree more. I currently have a HS250H and my wife drives an 08 ES350. These are both great cars and are our 4th and 5th Lexus' respectively.

Over the years I have probably owned 50 cars....about half were Amercian brand and the other half either German or Japanese.

I have probably bought my last American car..... nobody is more patriotic than I am ( Vietnam war vet, USAF, etc.) but I have to say that a lot of the American stuff on the market is less than even good quality.

As an example, in 2005 my wife wanted to go back to American made. So we bought a $45,000 Cadillac. It was a good car , never had any issues but it was easily apparent that the quality of materials used was not at Lexus standards but none the less we liked the car. So after 3 years we decided to get her back into a Lexus and we bought a new 2008 ES350 which she currently owns and is close to a perfect car. But where I am going is the trade in value: We receivd $11,000 trade in for the Cadillac ( KBB sez this was reasonable) ..which means the depreciation was over $11,000 PER YEAR.
Important to undestand that her Cad only had 25K miles and was in perfect condition. Even had new tires.

Bottom line is that the market knows value......and American cars values drop faster than a rock.
Old 03-16-10, 10:49 AM
TalkLexus
Driver School Candidate

Smile Let’s Not ‘Rush to Judgment’ – Give Toyota ‘the Benefit of the Benefit of the Doubt’

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA), a leader of one of the Congressional committees that has been investigating Toyota’s recalls, appeared on NBC’s Today Show on Monday to discuss both Toyota’s and NHTSA’s investigations into the alleged “runaway” Prius incident in California. “Let’s also not rush to judgment,” Issa told the interviewer. “This is not an example that would likely be credible in finding a new flaw in the Toyota system.”

He further stressed, “Toyota has the finest engineers probably in the world…Give them the benefit of the doubt.”

link: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...70227#35870254
Old 03-18-10, 06:28 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gary1944
Couldn't agree more. I currently have a HS250H and my wife drives an 08 ES350. These are both great cars and are our 4th and 5th Lexus' respectively.

Over the years I have probably owned 50 cars....about half were Amercian brand and the other half either German or Japanese.

I have probably bought my last American car..... nobody is more patriotic than I am ( Vietnam war vet, USAF, etc.) but I have to say that a lot of the American stuff on the market is less than even good quality.

As an example, in 2005 my wife wanted to go back to American made. So we bought a $45,000 Cadillac. It was a good car , never had any issues but it was easily apparent that the quality of materials used was not at Lexus standards but none the less we liked the car. So after 3 years we decided to get her back into a Lexus and we bought a new 2008 ES350 which she currently owns and is close to a perfect car. But where I am going is the trade in value: We receivd $11,000 trade in for the Cadillac ( KBB sez this was reasonable) ..which means the depreciation was over $11,000 PER YEAR.
Important to undestand that her Cad only had 25K miles and was in perfect condition. Even had new tires.

Bottom line is that the market knows value......and American cars values drop faster than a rock.
Well said. There are many new domestic cars that I like and could see myself owning, but, resale value is one of the most critical factors for me in a new car purchase. Because of that, and that alone, I would not buy domestic.
Old 03-19-10, 03:44 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah! I bought a new 2001 Corvette. Like 10,000 other 2001 Vette owners they had to pull the engine and put in new rings when only 1 year old! I bought a mint 2000 Ford F-150 XLT lease trade in. It developed rust on the underside, oil leak from the engine, power mirrors quit working, recalled for suddenly catching fire, etc. Then tried a new $30,000 Honda, It had lots of road noise and rattles. Lexus is nice.
Old 04-02-10, 09:26 AM
rikkus256
Rookie

I can't agree with you more. I have great confidence with Toyota/Lexus.