ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil Change DIY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-10, 04:40 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a question, what is a fumoto valve? Does anyone have a picture of the creature?
If not, where can I find one? Who sells them? Sound like the thing to have when changing your own oil.
I have metal store ramps, and I think the last time I tried to use them on the 07 I had to put boards down first to get the car up before going on the ramps. The last couple of changes were either done at the dealers (cause it was the 30,000 mile one) or I wasn't home so had someone else do it.
Old 04-23-10, 07:27 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

^^^^Google is a wonderful thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Qwik-Valve-Fum.../dp/B000W9QCS8

Lou
Old 04-23-10, 09:42 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks lowrideraz, I never gave it a thought to look it up. Just what was I thinkin'. Might invest in a couple of those.
Old 05-13-10, 01:38 PM
jon1964
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkutti2000
the Original poster mentions" making wooden ramps yourself. "
.what is the wood suddenly gives away. you never know. wood is wood.. if there are imperfections and some pressure causes it to give away suddenly. I wont use a DIY on that. I will buy factory manufactured metal ramps which are tested to take the necessary front car Wt.
I found wood ramps will slide when you first try to drive up onto them. Especially with my my Corvette. I found Race Ramps were made to grip the ground. Plus they are solid (but very lightweight) so they won't collapse like I've heard Rhino Ramps can. I have had a pair for the last year and half, and they have been great.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Change DIY!-corvette-on-ramps.jpg  
Old 10-17-10, 02:59 PM
jk08
Driver School Candidate

hi guys, I have a question. I try to change the oil but after I insert the plastic hose adapter the oil only came out maybe half a cup. I believe the adapter was insert correctly. Why there are no oil come out. I check the dip stick, the oil still inside the engine. I also unscrew the cap on top of the engine too. thanks.
Old 10-17-10, 07:04 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That step only drains part of the oil canister. A much cleaner process than a spin on filter that leaks oil like crazy when you start to unspin the thing. You still need to drain the oil by pulling the plug or flicking the valve on your fumoto.

I've changed my oil once after installing the fumoto valve and loved it. So much cleaner. I got the one with the nipple. I just attached the hose to the fumoto and put the other end in the oil pan and drain away.
Old 10-17-10, 10:39 PM
jk08
Driver School Candidate

thanks, but I am not quiet understand. I have a o8 es350. If I read you correctly. Once I unscrew the oil filter drain plug, It only means I drain the oil inside the oil filter??? So I have to oil filter cap to drain all the engine oil? Because the oil filter cap is 64mm 14 flute cap and that will be a mess when I unscrew the cap.
I research the fumoto valve. It seems won't work on es350. because when you unscrew the oil filter drain plug there is a spring loaded ball valve to stop the oil coming out, that is why you need to insert a pipe adapter to push in the ball valve to allow the oil to drain out.
Old 10-18-10, 05:23 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jk08
thanks, but I am not quiet understand. I have a o8 es350. If I read you correctly. Once I unscrew the oil filter drain plug, It only means I drain the oil inside the oil filter??? So I have to oil filter cap to drain all the engine oil? Because the oil filter cap is 64mm 14 flute cap and that will be a mess when I unscrew the cap.
I research the fumoto valve. It seems won't work on es350. because when you unscrew the oil filter drain plug there is a spring loaded ball valve to stop the oil coming out, that is why you need to insert a pipe adapter to push in the ball valve to allow the oil to drain out.
It appears that you are not yet qualified to do an oil change. I would suggest you go to either a dealer or an independent shop and ask them to let you watch when they change the oil. This would be a good training aid and will let you do the job in the future. Seeing is better then having it explained on this form.
Old 10-18-10, 06:21 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Just wanted to add that in my youth I had a friendly garage to do my oil changes and as I got older I got the set up below . Being retired means there is no rush in doing oil changes so it's just part of my fun work. I never liked ramps but they do come in handy once in a while.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Change DIY!-oil-change-lift.jpg  
Old 10-18-10, 06:28 AM
hngo01
Driver School Candidate

Default Help oil change for ES 350

All,
When I open the Drain Filter Cap, then filter housing also come out together.
Now how do i remove the drain filter cap? I need help. Thanks
Old 10-18-10, 07:01 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Just pull the plastic drain attachment out of the filter housing.Also replace the O ring and make sure that the drain is closed.
Old 10-18-10, 08:19 AM
hngo01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just pull the plastic drain attachment out of the filter housing.Also replace the O ring and make sure that the drain is closed.
well, i need to change the small O ring though.
Old 10-18-10, 07:10 PM
jk08
Driver School Candidate

It appears that you are not yet qualified to do an oil change. I would suggest you go to either a dealer or an independent shop and ask them to let you watch when they change the oil. This would be a good training aid and will let you do the job in the future. Seeing is better then having it explained on this form.
I am really sorry for my ignorance.
I thought the thread is very friendly and helpful to the visitors.
I've been doing oil change with my other cars all the time.
This is the first time I am trying to do the es350.
The question is still the same.
remove the drain plug and plug a pipe with hose in suppose to drain the engine oil.
for my other cars once the drain plug is removed the oil starts to come out like open a faucet.
But for es350 it is not, maybe because the filter design is not the same as other cars. It is designed together with the drain plug together.
Do I really have to unscrew the filter cap to drain the oil.
thanks again and hope other people can help me on this.
Old 10-19-10, 07:41 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by jk08
I am really sorry for my ignorance.
I thought the thread is very friendly and helpful to the visitors.
I've been doing oil change with my other cars all the time.
This is the first time I am trying to do the es350.
The question is still the same.
remove the drain plug and plug a pipe with hose in suppose to drain the engine oil.
for my other cars once the drain plug is removed the oil starts to come out like open a faucet.
But for es350 it is not, maybe because the filter design is not the same as other cars. It is designed together with the drain plug together.
Do I really have to unscrew the filter cap to drain the oil.
thanks again and hope other people can help me on this.
When you did an oil change on your other cars did you remove the drain plug from the oil pan? This has nothing to do with the filter. You still need to remove the drain plug in the oil pan to drain the oil. The attachment in the end of the oil filter is to drain the oil from the oil filter ONLY. They did this because you need to remove the oil filter canister to remove the filter insert and replace it. Sorry to insult you but this is straight forward stuff. The oil change in an ES350 is no difference then the oil change in other cars. This should have been obvious to you when you looked under the car.
Old 10-19-10, 04:18 PM
jk08
Driver School Candidate

When you did an oil change on your other cars did you remove the drain plug from the oil pan? This has nothing to do with the filter. You still need to remove the drain plug in the oil pan to drain the oil. The attachment in the end of the oil filter is to drain the oil from the oil filter ONLY. They did this because you need to remove the oil filter canister to remove the filter insert and replace it. Sorry to insult you but this is straight forward stuff. The oil change in an ES350 is no difference then the oil change in other cars. This should have been obvious to you when you looked under the car.

thanks a lot.
I know where I got confused.
I mistaken the filter drain plug will also drain the engine oil. Because it is underneath the engine. Actually there is another drain plug on the side.
for my other cars, the filter are canister type and they all access from the top of the engine, the es350 is a filter type and access from the bottom.
what a great forum I am in.
thanks again.

Quick Reply: Oil Change DIY!