ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil Change DIY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-10, 07:11 AM
cl206
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Change DIY!

Hi everyone, forums are great and I wanted to contribute anyway I can. I just did my own oil change on my 2007 lexus es350 and it is remarkably easy. Everything is just like the avalon link here:
http://members.***.net/n0v8or/avalon_oil_change.pdf
{BIG THANKS to whomever had a part in creating that PDF**

I have jack stands but I actually jacked up my car and placed them on the wooden ramps I had made several years ago. I also have 2 floor jacks that I used as added protection. Anyways I used the toyota oil wrench (64mm) filter I bought at the dealership. It was 22 bucks but well worth it because trust me, with the right/good tools, jobs get done. I also used the 18in great neck breaker bar from Autozone (was like 12 bucks i think) and I gotta tell you everything came out with ease.

Hopefully this can help someone.
PS: filter element is part # 04152-YZZA1 {It is toyota brand but that is what they use in lexuses**
and the washer/gasket for the drain bolt is 90430-12031

-cl206

Last edited by cl206; 04-02-10 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-02-10, 09:46 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man.. this is good.. but some years back , I decided against OIL changes. too messy. no matter how careful you are.
not to hijack the thread but changing CABIN AIR and ENGINE AIR FILTER are the quickest bang for your buck DIYs.

any one want to add to quickest BANG FOR buck DIYS.

the oil change is interesting because u will do it with the most care. and let it drain out the most amount of oil, and add the best synthetic oil, whereas who knows what the darn dealers do!.

ALWAYS, when the car is returned from the dealership, drive home and check the hood for any open /missing caps, or tools stuck. he he.. u never know when the occasional faux pax occurs.!
Old 04-02-10, 01:25 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Compared to my Jag this is a simple oil change. I will do the 1st change at 3000 with my 2010 and have the dealer do the 10000 change at 8000. After that I will change at every 5000 miles. I takes me 15 minutes (green to green) to do this. Is easy if you have a lift.
Old 04-02-10, 04:28 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Yup I completely agree that the air filter and especially the cabin air is a real money saver DIYs because they are easy. In hondas, the cabin air is a beach to change but still worth it. In case anyone is wondering, the owners manual tells you how to change the cabin air in the es350.

Yes changing the oil can be messy but honestly I am so sick of leaving my car at the shop and coming back hours later. I do use a lot of paper towels and latex gloves so as not to dirty the beautiful car hehe. BTW why the heck does the es350 take 6.4 (although I only need to put in 6 quarts). This is like the 10 hotdog and 8 buns package dilemma
Old 04-03-10, 05:21 AM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a fumoto valve ready to go. I'm barely at 3,000 on my CPO 2007 ES 350 and the dealership gives me a free oil change at 5,000. I'm thinking about asking the dealership if they will put on the fumoto valve.
Old 04-03-10, 05:42 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by overclock
I have a fumoto valve ready to go. I'm barely at 3,000 on my CPO 2007 ES 350 and the dealership gives me a free oil change at 5,000. I'm thinking about asking the dealership if they will put on the fumoto valve.
That would save a little time and I hope you bought the one with the hose nipple on it. The only thing I did not like is cars going back to filter elements instead of spin on filters. I have been looking but have yet not found a spin on filter adapter for the Lex/Toyo engine. If anyone has heard of one please let us know who makes it.
Old 04-03-10, 06:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
That would save a little time and I hope you bought the one with the hose nipple on it. The only thing I did not like is cars going back to filter elements instead of spin on filters. I have been looking but have yet not found a spin on filter adapter for the Lex/Toyo engine. If anyone has heard of one please let us know who makes it.
I hate the cannister too.
Here's the part I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-AS...6&sr=8-1-spell
Old 04-03-10, 06:37 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I hate the cannister too.
Here's the part I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-AS...6&sr=8-1-spell

Sorry Joe but I have the filter adapter. What I am talking about is a kit that converts the existing cannister type filter to a spin on 1 piece filter. Spin off the old and spin on the new filter. No taking out the filter element and cleaning the housing and inserting a new filter.
Old 04-03-10, 06:55 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Sorry Joe but I have the filter adapter. What I am talking about is a kit that converts the existing cannister type filter to a spin on 1 piece filter. Spin off the old and spin on the new filter. No taking out the filter element and cleaning the housing and inserting a new filter.
I'd love that conversion kit for both my ES and RX.
Never heard of one,though.
Old 04-11-10, 05:37 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Original poster mentions" making wooden ramps yourself. "
.what is the wood suddenly gives away. you never know. wood is wood.. if there are imperfections and some pressure causes it to give away suddenly. I wont use a DIY on that. I will buy factory manufactured metal ramps which are tested to take the necessary front car Wt.
Old 04-11-10, 11:00 AM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somebody over on the oddysey minivan forums made wooden ramps as well. But these aren't in the same fashion as regular ramps.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...ight=wood+ramp
See the picture in the first post.

Those wood ramps won't give away.
Old 04-11-10, 02:00 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I've used Blitz Rhino Ramp 12000 Extreme's for years.
Old 04-11-10, 03:36 PM
jagtoes
Racer

I use an Eagle 4 post lift. It's much easier.
Old 04-13-10, 06:56 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jkutti2000
the Original poster mentions" making wooden ramps yourself. "
.what is the wood suddenly gives away. you never know. wood is wood.. if there are imperfections and some pressure causes it to give away suddenly. I wont use a DIY on that. I will buy factory manufactured metal ramps which are tested to take the necessary front car Wt.
I got the idea from
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/...amps/index.htm

I actually do not drive onto them but I used my floor jack to lift the front of the car and then lower the front wheels onto any height I need. I used to drive onto them but one time the wood actually slipped because I was doing it in my garage. Im sure it won't slip if you're doing it on rough but level concrete.

I actually dislike the store metal ramps or even the rhino ramps. I had the metal ramps before but if you don't drive really carefully bad things can happen.

When I settle my car onto the wooden ramps (4 different levels), I still use the floor jack and position some jack stands for extra safety. For those wondering why I don't just rest the front on jack stands only, I personally find the car appears to be safer this way because more surface area between the tires and ramps and floor versus between the side jacking points and the jackstands.
The avalon clip also uses similar ramps. Of course you need to do what makes you feel safe and safety is #1.

As with any DIY on the web, it is always do at your own risk. I assume no responsibility if anything bad should happen. (Hope not of course )

Last edited by cl206; 04-13-10 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 07:15 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by overclock
I have the fumoto valve on my 2008 ES,(the one without the nipple) and love it. It makes changing the oil so much easier. Because of it there is really no need to raise the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Oil Change DIY!