Frustrating Lexus Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-10, 12:07 PM
Fontaine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrating Lexus Dealer

I have had several issues with this dealer:

1. Price. Asked for dealer's best price on a single payment lease - which turned out to be $3,000 more than a neighboring Lexus dealer. Original dealer quickly matched the price.

2. "Toyota Issues". Emailed dealer with some questions concerning the acceleration issues. He did not reply to my questions. Visited salesroom and learned that the issues are now being factory fixed. A return email would have saved me the trip.

3. Delivery. I was promised delivery last Saturday, and every day since then. No communication from dealer - I would either email or call every day around 4 to ask if my car was there and was told 'probably tomorrow' each time. Finally was told that the 'port agent' confirmed that the car would be delivered yesterday for pickup by me today. Yesterday I emailed and called 3 times until I got my dealer on the phone at 4:30 who said: one more truck is coming in today, hopefully my car will be on that. Ten minutes later I got an email that said: delivery on Monday.

I now have a car with an expired inspection, the lease on my current car is on a short extension and I have a certified check for $17,000 in my purse.

I emailed the sales manager to ask if this was 'platinum service' and what can they do to show me that my business is important to them. He responded that this was not the level of service that they aspire to. No further offers.

I have located my exact car 30 miles away, but because the old promotions ended on March 31 it is $700 more.

I am frustrated and annoyed. I know my dealer sells 200 cars a month and I guess one less means nothing to them. It has crossed my mind, although I can't confirm this, that my shabby treatment is in part because I am a woman. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 04-02-10, 01:15 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

No reason for this treatment. I would arrange to meet with the Lexus dealers site manager and request that the Lexus territory manager be present. Discuss your dissatification and that you expect you will be cancelling your order with them unless they agree to some additional options. I would also contact the dealer 30 miles away and tell them you are ready to deal with them provided they honor the lower price. Tell them you will sign if they agree. If they take it then call the other dealer and cancel the 1st order.
Old 04-02-10, 03:56 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto jagtoes. Go to the other dealer, ask him to match the price, tell him you've got the check / cash to deal today and today only. Otherwise, you will look at a different manufacturer like Acura, Mercedes etc. I dislike our Lexus salesman too but about a month ago or so, he was at the local bank counter and I asked him how business was. Quoting, he said "it sucks". I smiled and laughed a little. So smug and uppity back in 8/07.
Old 04-02-10, 04:50 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow I can't believe with all the negative press toyota is getting from the recalls that the dealership can treat someone like that. I don't think it is because you are a woman; my honest opinion is that maybe they met their quota for the current cycle so maybe they are not as motivated for the time being? I dunno but timing can be important. But you can always call around other dealers and I'm sure there are others who will want your business and it is possible to buy a car in a day or two. After phone negotiations, my wife and I went to close a deal on a Friday evening and we drive out with the new car the very next day. This was like late 2006.

Last edited by cl206; 04-02-10 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 05:00 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd tell that dealer to stick the car up their.....
Old 04-02-10, 07:00 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry about your experience. Speaking of arrogance they have it all. I think that I would visit them and ask to review the contract for the vehicle. Then when I had it in my hand I would tear it up and trash can it with a smile. I would then advise that there were Lexus Dealers that appreciate business. I wouldn't buy their car under no circumstances. I's rather pay an additional $700 for the one I really wanted. Good luck. Hope you a lot of happiness and enjoyment with your new vehicle. We love ours!!
Old 04-02-10, 07:28 PM
pestleman0
Driver

Ditto Jagtoes. This sounds like my experience with dealers. Get prepared. It is now standard. Lexus is not what it used to be.
Old 04-02-10, 07:30 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go buy from another dealer. There is no reason to put up with this. They clearly don't want your business. Get the other dealer down to the same price. Just because a promo ended, doesn't mean anything. You sound like someone who pays MSRP or the first lease price you see and you don't negotiate anything. Did they suck you into buying a $900 paint sealant package or $200 VIN etching also?
Old 04-02-10, 07:53 PM
Fontaine
Driver School Candidate

On my 2007 ES 350 the leasing guy suckered me in to adding a "guard rail" type thing to prevent damage from doors banging into the car. I am returning the current car with 11,000 miles on it.

Not to turn this into a sob story - but I commenced the search for a new car in late January. I went to this dealer and looked at a cross-over, thinking that my dad would have an easier time getting in and out of it. A few weeks later my dad (the most wonderful father) passed away unexpectedly. I happened to mention this to the dealer when I went back a couple of weeks later to ask about the acceleration issues and let him know I was going with the 350. Some kindness now would have been appreciated; instead I am being jerked around (and wondering if I was expecting too much). This should have been a bright spot during my difficult time.

Many warm thanks for your replies. I will let you know how this ends.

Last edited by Fontaine; 04-02-10 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 08:23 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am so sorry for your loss. If you have the time, do some research on your own and check out www.edmunds.com. They have great information and also have a forum dealing with any lease questions you might have. It is at
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir...model=ES%20350
You can get a very good idea of what is a fair price should you continue to lease or maybe change your mind to purchase. Also keep in mind that pricing varies by region too, so if someone got a great deal in CA, that doesn't necessarily mean you can get the same deal in NYC.

Of course, don't abandon this forum hehe
Old 04-03-10, 04:19 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW. Coldness added in too. I am sorry about your dad too. Lost mine in 2003 and it now gets just a little easier. I also bought the extra care package for the doors and wheels. Had used the door ding service once and with the wheels, the fine print said that the curb hash marks were not covered even though the "salesman" said to say that it happened in a pothole. Yeah right - service manager disputed it. Save the money next time / no additional services.
Old 04-03-10, 04:50 AM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pestleman0
Ditto Jagtoes. This sounds like my experience with dealers. Get prepared. It is now standard. Lexus is not what it used to be.
I'm inclined to agree. I haven't had many issues but it always seems to be an ordeal to get them to react to a warranty issue. Regardless if it was a shift flare or warped rotors. They denied problems until I took them out in the car and proved it. My first and last Lexus.

Last edited by BillP; 04-03-10 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-05-10, 12:55 PM
Fontaine
Driver School Candidate

You can't make this stuff up.

No call over the weekend or today about the delivery of the car that was promised again for tomorrow. I emailed and called and got no reply. So I emailed the GM of the dealership with the string of emails; the GM had another sales manager (promptly) return my call. He told me the good news: my car was delivered somewhere and will be ready for me to pick up tomorrow. The bad news is that they couldn't do anything on the price and he offered me my 10,000 maintenance for free. I told him what was in the string of emails, that I am returning a car with 11,000 miles on it. He said he didn't read the emails - which would have taken about five minutes. How can you help me if you don't know what happened? He did assure me that this never happens.

I told the GM that I would like to meet with him and his territory manager. The GM refused to give me the contact - saying that I now have the attention of the top guy, and that he is very busy and never gets involved with customer issues. I repeated what I just heard - this this NEVER happens - but somehow I should be grateful that he has taken time out of his busy schedule to have a short phone conversation with me.

A few hundred dollars won't make a difference to me - from them or any other dealer. They've worn me out. I am not looking for sympathy or anything here, just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks.

Last edited by Fontaine; 04-05-10 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-05-10, 02:00 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My God,how can you possibly give this dealer the sale?
Old 04-05-10, 05:20 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand why are you fighting with them? WALK away and go lease somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Frustrating Lexus Dealer