ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

how far on Empty can you go

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-10 | 04:07 PM
lomarica
Driver School Candidate

Default how far on Empty can you go

My low fuel light came on and I was wondering how far you can go when the fuel gage is on Empty. The fuel gage got right to E and then I decided that was enough.

My question is how far below E can you go. Most cars the gage will go well below E ie you usually still have at least a couple gallons left on E

thanks
Old 04-02-10 | 04:11 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Fuel Light...what fuel light??? We have a 2007 ES350. What year is yours? Our Aurora had one but our Lexus doesn't and we miss it dearly.
Old 04-02-10 | 04:39 PM
cl206
Pit Crew

UHHH I think the 2007 ES350 does have a low fuel light reminder. I think when it first comes on u still have like 2 gallons of gas left so assuming 26 mpg that is like another 52 miles but YMMV haha, get it

and i just realized i didn't answer the OP's question so maybe someone can chime in.
Old 04-02-10 | 06:09 PM
lomarica
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jerfitz
Fuel Light...what fuel light??? We have a 2007 ES350. What year is yours? Our Aurora had one but our Lexus doesn't and we miss it dearly.
a bright orange light comes on on the dash next to the speedometer it should be pretty obvious, wait until you get to about 1/8 of a tank of gas, if it doesn't come on go to the dealer because it is a good feature
Old 04-02-10 | 07:36 PM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by lomarica
My low fuel light came on and I was wondering how far you can go when the fuel gage is on Empty. The fuel gage got right to E and then I decided that was enough.

My question is how far below E can you go. Most cars the gage will go well below E ie you usually still have at least a couple gallons left on E

thanks
Do a Kramer (Seinfeld). See how far you can make it till it dies.
Old 04-02-10 | 08:34 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

I've never tried it on this car, nor have I seen it done on the ES, but generally (in most modern cars) you can go somewhere between 30-50 miles after you hit empty or what should be 0% fuel remaining. Most gauges are set up so they overstate how much fuel is actually remaining to help avoid people running out of fuel and sucking sludge into their fuel filter.
Old 04-02-10 | 09:02 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I always thought the Es350 had a few gallons in a small reserve tank, maybe that was the SC....?
Old 04-03-10 | 04:53 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by miniz
I've never tried it on this car, nor have I seen it done on the ES, but generally (in most modern cars) you can go somewhere between 30-50 miles after you hit empty or what should be 0% fuel remaining. Most gauges are set up so they overstate how much fuel is actually remaining to help avoid people running out of fuel and sucking sludge into their fuel filter.
I have done it...once. And you are spot on. There is two gallons in the tank when it hits E. The low fuel light comes on when there is four gallons in the tank. And this is from 4 years of experience with this awesome car.

Got 26 mpg on my last fill up...computer showed 27. I guess the gas peddle reflash has taken.

Last edited by Macklin; 04-03-10 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-05-10 | 10:24 AM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Actual amount left in tank when the warning light comes up may differ from car to car - that gauge is quite approximate.
In my experience: I once pulled into the gas station immediately after the light came on and filled up to the neck - clicked and clicked the gas hose trigger until it would take no more. It was about 16.5 gallons at this point. The manual says that the tank capacity is 18.5 gal, therefore simple math gives about 2 gallons left at the warning light.
If you check the approximate range display at the warning light, it probably would read between 15 and 20 miles. You really can run it down to zero, and then go another ten miles or so, but anything more than that would be risky.
Old 04-05-10 | 05:22 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zhivuyatut
I once pulled into the gas station immediately after the light came on and filled up to the neck - clicked and clicked the gas hose trigger until it would take no more.
That is a great way to ruin your carbon filter and cause problems with your fuel system. It says do not top off in the manual and on the fuel door for a reason.
Old 04-06-10 | 11:02 AM
zhivuyatut
Driver

That is a great way to ruin your carbon filter and cause problems with your fuel system. It says do not top off in the manual and on the fuel door for a reason.
The best reason for not topping off is to help environment by avoiding gasoline spills and not letting vapors escape unnecessarily.
The gas tank on ES350 has notoriously odd design, leaving you about two gallons short of full, unless you top it off. There are people on this forum who choose to top off or not.
The manual says the tank capacity is 18.5 gallons, usually you get the warning light at 2-2.5 gallons. And then it would click off after taking only about 14 gallons or so. Do the math.
BTW, could you enlighten us please - what is the carbon filter and what trouble lies ahead of the "toppers"?
Old 04-06-10 | 12:51 PM
jcg
Rookie

The carbon filter takes care of the fumes from the gas tank. I have a '99 corolla and I always topped of the tank. About 2 years ago the engine check light came on. The fix was to replace the filter. At $625.00. I was told that it's caused from topping off the tank.

Needless to say that I no longer do that.
Old 04-06-10 | 02:35 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcg
The carbon filter takes care of the fumes from the gas tank. I have a '99 corolla and I always topped of the tank. About 2 years ago the engine check light came on. The fix was to replace the filter. At $625.00. I was told that it's caused from topping off the tank.

Bingo. And on the Lexus, guess what? It's closer to $1000. Do not top off is only written the manual about 15 times.
Old 04-07-10 | 09:00 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jcg

Ah..................No. No damage will result from topping. I see it all the time. Yes, it can throw a CEL that can easily be reset by the dealer. I top my tank off all the time and I've had 2 CEL's because of it. No damage ever occurred to the charcoal canister. I sincerely hope your dealer didn't just feed you a line.
Old 04-07-10 | 09:03 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Bingo. And on the Lexus, guess what? It's closer to $1000. Do not top off is only written the manual about 15 times.
The warning in the manual is for environmental purposes. Kind of like "don't operate your vehicle in a closed garage" It won't hurt the car, it'll hurt *you*.

Quick Reply: how far on Empty can you go