ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Insurance Claim or Out of Pocket

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10 | 10:02 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Default Insurance Claim or Out of Pocket

Hello Everyone,

I need some feedback on how the value of my Lexus (2009) would be impacted if I had my insurance pay for a small dent that I got when a car on the opposite side of the road kicked a rock near my fender. I got a few estimates and I can get it repaired for around $350.00, my insurance deductible is $100.00, should be simple, BUT if I go through my insurance it could be reported to CarFax or AutoCheck as an accident, decreasing my resale value. If, I paid for it myself, then I wouldn't have to worry about it. Has anyone ever been in this situation. I have attached a few pics of the damage, the paint came off and touched it up some. Thanks for the feedback!!...
Attached Thumbnails Insurance Claim or Out of Pocket-good.jpg   Insurance Claim or Out of Pocket-best.jpg  
Old 04-09-10 | 10:09 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

it's so small and negligible that you should just pay it up...no need to involve insurance in here.
Old 04-09-10 | 10:28 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

I think I would do two things - pay for this repair out of pocket and raise my deductible to $500 or $1,000 to not have to deal with this in the future. $100deductible has to be pretty expensive anyway and some but not all insurance companies count anything they pay out against you while others have a mimimum amount before even considering it a claim.

This being a flying rock you might be able to file a comprehensive claim depending on both your state and your insurance company. I had a rock hit an expensive fog light on a 4Runner and because it involved glass it was covered by the comprehensive/glass breakage with no deductible.

Another issue I had on a prior car that got a similar amount of paint damage to a door and the dealer body shop gave me a real high estimate - $1,200 or something - to paint and blend the whole side of the car. When I went to trade in the car the CarFax came back with an "unrepaired damage" report. What made them assume I did not simply have it repaired at a more reasonable shop?. I just pointed out the "unrepaired damage" to the salesman who hadn't even noticed it at that point and we moved on with the deal.

Dave Mac
Old 04-10-10 | 12:17 PM
MedRxMan
Driver School Candidate

Pay out of pocket as mentioned.

I also increased my deductible from $100 to $ 1000 and my premium dropped considerably. Dropped enough that after 2 years I am ahead of the game.

If you make an ins. claim and unfortunately have another ins. claim within 2 years you premiums will increase.

Good luck
Old 04-10-10 | 07:04 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Why do you have a $100 deductible???? That is crazy. You are overpaying for insurance big time. Raise to $1000 today!! Then go pay cash for this job and get the job done. You may want to get the car detailed because I can see the micro scratches in the picture.
Old 04-11-10 | 12:07 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

I have always kept a low deductible because it just works for me, I don't want to pay a grand for a cracked windshield....but it's not the deductible that concerns me here, but rather how the resale value of the car would be impacted if I went through my insurance, Would it show up on a CarFax?, from the reply above it appears that it would, so I'm leaning toward paying out of pocket....my rates would not increase if I reported it because it's under comprehensive and I have no priors....Thanks
Old 04-11-10 | 08:06 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

LexPaul - I know what you mean about paying out $1,000 for a windshield but what I have is $1,000 deductible on my collision and comprehensive with full coverage on glass breakage. I go through too many windshields to not have it that way.

The CarFax thing is a concern though and there is a similar system for homeowner's coverage- the name of which I can remember at the moment - which is why I raised both of my deductibles, auto and home, and no longer deal with small claims. I think you are right that most insurance companies only use collision claims to raise your insurance premiums. And it is not the first claim that causes the real increase it is the second unknown claim that really cost you.

Dave
Old 04-11-10 | 08:49 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Thanks Dave, I'm just going to go ahead this week and pay for it myself..I think what I'm trying to save going thru my insurance is not worth the risk.....