ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Any 2010 without HID?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 12:52 PM
c6vert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 2010 without HID?

We are looking for a Red ES 350 with Nav, Wood trim, Park Assist, Sunshade and heated seats. Our big problem is that everything we have found so far has the HID option and the Accessory Pkg. I don't need HID and wouldn't order them if I could order the car. As for the accessory pkg., I have owned two cars with wheel locks and had bad experiences both times (broken keys). I swore then I would never put them on another car I owned.
These two options are over $1,000 list and I really don't want them.
Are there any cars out there without the HIDs and with the equipment I want?
Old 04-27-10, 02:11 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

You need to visit your friendly Lexus dealer - they will search the inventory nationwide and find one for you optioned exactly as you want (if there is one manufactured that way). You always have an option of ordering one from factory too.
Old 04-27-10, 02:15 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by c6vert
We are looking for a Red ES 350 with Nav, Wood trim, Park Assist, Sunshade and heated seats
You're looking for a luxury vehicle with navigation, plus other extra options but don't want the HID's? Strange, I have never heard of that before. But good luck in your search.
Old 04-27-10, 02:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Other than a special order, that will probably be tough. In my area you can order Package A that doesn't include HID's, but it doesn't have any of the other items that you want. Package B includes everything on your list, but has HID's.

Other areas may offer different packages but I think it would be nearly impossible to find a car with NAV, etc. and no HID.
Old 04-27-10, 04:24 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

In Arizona and I believe California and the entire western area you can't even get HID headlights with the options you want other than thru a special order and a long wait. I have everything you want and no HID's which was good with me but I did want a black interior which also was not available in this region with the satin cashmere exterior. For less than a thousand dollars you could probably fly to a western state and get the car you want. They tell me the lack of HID's has something to do with the California dealers asking for the cars that way so they can be more competitive.

The wheel locks I did have to take as always and I don't like them either. Sometimes I can get the sales person to take them off, other times I just transfer the wheel nuts from my old car. A new set is about $20.

Dave Mac
Old 04-27-10, 06:02 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why exactly would you want the car without HID's? Old-skool halogen's have no business in a upscale luxury sedan. This isn't 1990 anymore. Nobody stocks halogen optioned cars because nobody wants to buy them. That is a big clue to how hard a car will be to get rid of when you go to sell it later on.
Old 04-28-10, 03:02 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

In a hilly area the HID's are useless. The cut off is so sharp and they are factory aimed so that in at the bottom of the hill they only light up the road as little as 20 or 30 feet in front of you, the road ahead is pitch black. Very poor design on an otherwise terrific car.
Old 04-28-10, 07:56 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJS57
In a hilly area the HID's are useless. The cut off is so sharp and they are factory aimed so that in at the bottom of the hill they only light up the road as little as 20 or 30 feet in front of you, the road ahead is pitch black. Very poor design on an otherwise terrific car.
They are easily adjustable upward to cure this problem. I agree that the factory setting it too low, but the adjusted setting can be made just right. They will beat 1910's headlight technology anytime.
Old 04-28-10, 11:41 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO I think HID is a great option, but I have never seen them excluded with the option package you want, since you basically want all of the bells and whistles, why would Lexus leave off the HID??. It doesn't make sense for them to do so. I don't think you could even special order it that way, but check with your dealer. Good Luck
Old 04-29-10, 03:55 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe someone without HID will trade you their lights for yours. May be a bit complicated but I think it can be done.
Old 04-29-10, 08:28 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
In Arizona and I believe California and the entire western area you can't even get HID headlights with the options you want other than thru a special order and a long wait. I have everything you want and no HID's which was good with me but I did want a black interior which also was not available in this region with the satin cashmere exterior. For less than a thousand dollars you could probably fly to a western state and get the car you want. They tell me the lack of HID's has something to do with the California dealers asking for the cars that way so they can be more competitive.

The wheel locks I did have to take as always and I don't like them either. Sometimes I can get the sales person to take them off, other times I just transfer the wheel nuts from my old car. A new set is about $20.

Dave Mac
I didn't know Lexus even offered this option package w/o HID. I guess I should have read your post first. Is there a CA or AZ law that discourages HID? Just curious. I don't see how that would make the dealers more competitive. I know in the Southeast region it's impossible to get those particular options w/o HID....
Old 04-30-10, 06:50 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

No, I'm not aware of any local laws in AZ of CA discouraging HID lights, in fact many cars only come that way just not the ES350's. It gives the dealers about a $900 advantage when competing against who I don't know. I was confused by this for a while when my brother-in-law in Omaha talked about having HID's in his 2007 when I did not but when I inquired that is when I got the line about California dealers wanting there cars without HID's an whatever they get everyone in the region gets.

Dave Mac
Old 04-30-10, 07:57 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
No, I'm not aware of any local laws in AZ of CA discouraging HID lights, in fact many cars only come that way just not the ES350's. It gives the dealers about a $900 advantage when competing against who I don't know. I was confused by this for a while when my brother-in-law in Omaha talked about having HID's in his 2007 when I did not but when I inquired that is when I got the line about California dealers wanting there cars without HID's an whatever they get everyone in the region gets.

Dave Mac
Okay, Thanks!!
Old 05-03-10, 07:48 AM
Yiujai86
Rookie

I tried the get the very base model of the ES but came to realize it is rare unless you special order. The most base model dealers have will come with the accessories package which includes the full size spare, wheels locks so i doubt you will find the navigation ES without the 2 options you listed.
Old 05-06-10, 07:39 PM
frankbcnt
Driver

well i can see what you are talking about on hills. however the brights are halogen still. Also were I just bought mine they have a LOT of red cars might wanna call them. JM Lexus in coral springs FL.

Quick Reply: Any 2010 without HID?