ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Low mileage ES non-CPO or higher mileage with CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-10, 07:34 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low mileage ES non-CPO or higher mileage with CPO?

Looking at a couple of 2007 ES350s. Both are optioned the same - Nav, park assist, rear sunshade (no ML or UL).

One has 34k miles and isn't a Lexus CPO vehicle - but it's the color combo I really like (Dark blue w/ Ash interior). I should note is has chromed wheels (OEM design) but that doesn't matter to me. This one isn't local to me - I found it on eBay but has LOTS of photos and looks very clean. It's from a reputable auto seller who has over 4000 feedback that is 100% positive.

The other has 58k miles but is a Lexus CPO vehicle. This one is black with ash interior. This one is local to me (Lexus of Orland, IL) but about an hour away.

Since both are from dealers I'd pay the same tax, but the further away one would require travel and time ($$) to get it home (about 1200 miles).

Prices of both are about the same - local one is $500 more but I think I can get the price down a bit.

I'm going to see if I can make it down to the local dealer today to check out the black one (CPO).

I'm thinking even though the CPO has higher mileage, it's the smarter choice.

Opinions??

P.S. I got a great offer on my current car through Carmax but I have 7 days to get that amount so I'm trying to find a deal rather quickly, but I want to be happy with the decision in the end.

Thanks guys..
Old 05-01-10, 09:36 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd go for a CPO.
Lexus has liability for any (hidden) fault, and you will be relief of any major problems in the next 3 years.
Old 05-01-10, 09:17 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check the door jamb decal with manufacture date on both cars. There are 2007 cars which are more than a year apart. If the one with higher mileage is also early 2006 build, then I would think once more.
Old 05-02-10, 12:52 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

The higher mileage ES has a build date of 11/06 and the lower mileage car in Texas has a build date of 1/07.

I also just found a 2008 model with 24k miles on eBay that is local to me. It's in the Aquamarine pearl color with Ash interior. I kinda like the color because it's not a dime a dozen. Same features as the other two cars. I kinda put in an offer so hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow.

The 2008 also isn't a CPO, but since it's newer and only has 24k on the clock, I'll still have a decent balance of factory warranty remaining. That should be good enough coverage don't ya think?

Whatever car I end up with I'll most likely own for at least 6-7 yrs so hopefully any kinks would be worked out while covered under some sort of warranty.
Old 06-02-10, 07:46 PM
rikkus256
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take the CPO any day. The CPO process exams and restores the car to like new condition and basically eliminate all the worries and guessing from buying a used car. And you can't beat the 3 year warranty.
Old 06-03-10, 07:16 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Neither. Keep looking. They are both fairly low optioned and dark in color. Black is a big no-no with ultra soft water based Lexus paint. It will show every swirl, scratch, chip, ding, dent and every other imperfection. Chrome wheels in climates that use road salt or live close to the ocean are also a major no-no. They will rot in a year or two. Chrome never belongs where it will come into contact with brake dust either. 58k miles is too high for an 07 unless the price is very low to comp for it. You act like there are only two cars available in your area and you are limiting yourself. No need to rush your purchase because Carmax is going to save the day by buying your car. You can sell your car yourself for more then Carmax will pay.
Remember you can make your own CPO. It is nothing more then a car that may or may not have completed an inspection, got its price jacked up, and then was slapped with an extended warranty. The number of dealers trying to pass off cars as CPO that don't qualify, is on the rise. ALL cars should always be inspected by a 3rd party (a Lexus Mechanic and a Body Shop) prior to purchase. Just because the car says CPO doesn't mean it is a great car. It is nothing more then a sales technique to try to justify overpriced cars.
Old 06-03-10, 11:16 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Didn't realize my threat got bumped.

I ended up getting the non-CPO car in dark blue out of state. Everything worked out well. Car is in great shape (could use a thorough exterior detail to rid a few minor marks) and I'm happy with the deal I got.

I was able to bond with the car on a nice trip home from Houston to Chicago. Averaged right at 30mpg w/ cruise set to 80mph!

A few observations: even though it has only 35k miles, it's not even close to being as smooth and quiet as my '99 LS (163k miles). Not surprised really - but I think the tires are pretty loud (Goodyear Assurance directional pattern) They're new so I'll live with it until they need to be replaced.

I'm digging the handling! I know it's not a car known to handle well, but after the LS (which did very well for such a big car) this thing seems to be on rails while having a great ride. The car I had before the LS was a '02 Maxima SE which was a bit too harsh for my tastes.

Radio does suck: Not a surprise here, but the ML/UL cars are tough to come by w/o high miles or much higher prices than I wanted. The base stereo in my LS was soooo much better sounding than the ES's system. Oh well...

It's got the Premium Plus package w/ Nav so I'm enjoying all the cool new-to-me features. I also love the dark blue color - most ES350s around here are gray, black or beige.