ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Maybe purchasing 2010 ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 11:47 AM
waylexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe purchasing 2010 ES350?

I am thinking about trading in my 2005 acura tl and purchasing either a g37 or es 350. I don't really care about going sportier, but the g37 seems better than the tl in every way. I do appreciate the more comfortable ride of the lexus and the improved mileage however.

The only holdback is the suspension on the es 350 is a little too soft for me. Does anyone know if the aftermarket suspension for the 2007 camry fits on the 2010 es? I suspect just adding a thicker rear sway bar would do wonders. I don't really want to lower the car with coil overs or anything like that.
Old 05-05-10, 04:25 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by waylexus
I am thinking about trading in my 2005 acura tl and purchasing either a g37 or es 350. I don't really care about going sportier, but the g37 seems better than the tl in every way. I do appreciate the more comfortable ride of the lexus and the improved mileage however.

The only holdback is the suspension on the es 350 is a little too soft for me. Does anyone know if the aftermarket suspension for the 2007 camry fits on the 2010 es? I suspect just adding a thicker rear sway bar would do wonders. I don't really want to lower the car with coil overs or anything like that.
mostly old schoolers on here....love the ES350 as it's built. There are few who may be able to help you out....big big concern if you are already thinking how you can tinker with brand new car before even making purchase. What some people dont put into consideration is when you toy with Luxury Sedan as this your resale value and market goes way down imho. let us know what you decide.
Old 05-05-10, 05:39 PM
jimmy2x
Rookie

It is my experience that superior handling just never coincides with a comfortable ride. You give up the "corner-carving" with the ES but, at least where I live, those opportunities are few and far between.
Old 05-05-10, 06:04 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

If you really want sporty japanese lux sedan either go with the G37 the V6 TSX (that's ONLY if you want to stay in the Acura fold and if you desire FWD).

Other alternatives are the Audi A4 and Cadillac CTS. Lots of options out there if you want a slightly sporty midsuze entry lux sedan. The ES is what it is, pretty much. Lexus's slightly sporty FWD sedan is the HS250h and their very sporty entry sedan (which is more comparable to the G37) is the IS250/350.
Old 05-06-10, 03:53 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes it fits. There are some recent threads on this with Toyota coils etc. It is the same chassis. I too thought about lowering and thicker sway bars. But since driving it for awhile, I have found I can do any handling chores I want. Not like my Corvette or even a Honda Coupe, but good enough. So I am just staying like it is because in my area I am up on the rear of another car after 10 seconds of performance driving. Then there are the very poor Ct roads. I really need the Lexus ride. But good luck and test drive one hard and see what you think. You can at least get it up to Camry SE handling.
Old 05-06-10, 09:03 AM
waylexus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input and I appreciate the responses. I also hate the idea of tinkering with a brand new car, but I am kind of surprised there isn't a sport suspension option for this car. As I recall the ES 300/330 did.

I'll probably test drive again, but I think a thicker sway bar would reduce body roll which is really what I want. This is probably one of those things I can get used to. It is nice to have that option though. Just changing the sway is a pretty minor/cheap modification and stock can be put back on easily anyhow.
Old 05-06-10, 10:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks for all the input and I appreciate the responses. I also hate the idea of tinkering with a brand new car, but I am kind of surprised there isn't a sport suspension option for this car. As I recall the ES 300/330 did.

I'll probably test drive again, but I think a thicker sway bar would reduce body roll which is really what I want. This is probably one of those things I can get used to. It is nice to have that option though. Just changing the sway is a pretty minor/cheap modification and stock can be put back on easily anyhow.
When we bought our car, our two final choices were the G37 and ES. We really like both cars but ended up with the ES since it met our needs a little better.

They are two different cars and it came down to personal choice and a few trade offs with either one. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-06-10, 12:34 PM
RichardNJ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As everyone says, they are surely two different cars. I traded in my 05 TL in December for the ES.
Since I had the same car, just want to share couple of my comparisons:

I like the softer smoother ride of the ES, but do miss the tighter handling of my TL a bit. There IS a BIG difference. But getting bit older I guess, I wanted a smoother ride. But you'll certainly feel it cornering.

The rain sensing wipers on the ES SUCK. Constantly playing with on/off and sensibility setting. The TL's wipers were far superior.

Really though I'm happy with my choice and the car. I got it loaded with the UL/ML and it certainly is a more stand out car from the TL. But if you're someone who really liked the handling of the TL and tighter handling on a car...don't go with the ES.