ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Es350 or is250 awd

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 12:41 PM
iamtony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Es350 or is250 awd

I presently have an ES250 2007, I was thinking of going for an IS250AWD, What do you guys think and what is your opinion on it? Do you feel the drive is completely different? I know the car is smaller but as far as the drive etc, the smoothness etc....Just looking for opinions. Thanks!
Old 05-11-10, 01:31 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Your talking about two different cars.
It all depends on what your looking for.
The IS is going to handle a lot better then the ES but it is going to be a very rough ride. It will hit bumps about 10 times harder but it will corner a lot better then the ES.
There really is no comparison because one is sporty while the other is more a luxury touring sedan.

If you talked to Joel he will tell you I have owned both and went from an IS to ES so I can tell you excatly they are two different cars. Depends what you are looking for. I can tell you if you are in an ES now the IS will feel a bit more cheaper inside and also many options you have in ES are gone in the IS. Also with the IS be prepared to blow out tires in the winter as they are very low profile tires that don't do well with pot holes.

If you have any more questions let me know as I know both cars very well.

Sometimes I do miss my IS in the winter because of the AWD and also the handling I gave up. But when I am in my ES I feel like I am in a mini LS.

If you go with the ES try to get the Ultra PKG it is a very nice PKG that you can't even get on the LS for about 40 more a month in a lease.

Here is a list of pros and cons to each

ES350
Pros
Plush very soft interior
72 more horespower
More standard items
Huge back seat and trunk
Very soft ride almost no road noise.

Cons
Handles like a boat
Breaks are mushy
Not AWD

IS250AWD
Pros
Handles very well
AWD system which is amazing in snow and rain
Breaks are very on point
Cheaper price

Cons
Very rough ride
Plastic feel inside
Many options from the ES are not standard
only 204 HP
Very small back seat and trunk
Old 05-11-10, 01:34 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You mean ES350 .. for a sporty drive I would get IS250. It is smaller but the drive feels like a German car, more Audi A4 like. I would not settle for 2010 ES350 .. not much different then yours in drive or comfort.
Old 05-11-10, 01:35 PM
JC07ES350
Rookie

You do mean that you have a es350 correct?

I actually went to test drive a IS250 AWD before purchasing my ES350.
It is alot smaller inside due to the AWD transmisson. It is a pretty nice car but my head was already hitting the top of the car. (From the inside) I am 5" 10 - 11".

It had lack of power even with the paddle shifter for me.
I test drove the ES350 and purchase it the same day.

It had more room from the inside and out for me. Alot more power and smoother.
Only problem with the ES350 for me is that it doesn't come in AWD.

I live in NYC and got stuck in the snow this past snow storm a few times.
But the snow does not last too long.

I think you should go test drive the is250 awd...if money is not a problem.
I would go for the gs350 awd. Best of both worlds - AWD and Power.
Old 05-11-10, 02:03 PM
SickES350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by purebliss
The IS is going to handle a lot better then the ES but it is going to be a very rough ride. It will hit bumps about 10 times harder but it will corner a lot better then the ES.
There really is no comparison because one is sporty while the other is more a luxury touring sedan.

If you talked to Joel he will tell you I have owned both and went from an IS to ES so I can tell you excatly they are two different cars. Depends what you are looking for. I can tell you if you are in an ES now the IS will feel a bit more cheaper inside and also many options you have in ES are gone in the IS. Also with the IS be prepared to blow out tires in the winter as they are very low profile tires that don't do well with pot holes.

Sometimes I do miss my IS in the winter because of the AWD and also the handling I gave up. But when I am in my ES I feel like I am in a mini LS.

If you go with the ES try to get the Ultra PKG it is a very nice PKG that you can't even get on the LS for about 40 more a month in a lease.

ES350
Pros
Plush very soft interior
72 more horespower
More standard items
Huge back seat and trunk

Cons
Handles like a boat
Breaks are mushy
Not AWD

IS250AWD
Pros
Handles very well
Breaks are very on point
Cheaper price

Cons
Very rough ride
Plastic feel inside
only 204 HP
the IS isn't a "very rough ride" its a pretty smooth and soft ride for a sports car. for an everyday car as well its pretty smooth as well. it might be rougher since its an awd manual transmission....

but i agree, OP is comparing two different cars... they're not even in the same class ....
Old 05-11-10, 02:23 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by purebliss

ES350
Pros
Plush very soft interior
72 more horespower
More standard items
Huge back seat and trunk

Cons
Handles like a boat
Breaks are mushy
Not AWD

IS250AWD
Pros
Handles very well
Breaks are very on point
Cheaper price

Cons
Very rough ride
Plastic feel inside
only 204 HP
Originally Posted by JC07ES350
You do mean that you have a es350 correct?

I actually went to test drive a IS250 AWD before purchasing my ES350.
It is alot smaller inside due to the AWD transmisson. It is a pretty nice car but my head was already hitting the top of the car. (From the inside) I am 5" 10 - 11".

It had lack of power even with the paddle shifter for me.
I test drove the ES350 and purchase it the same day.

It had more room from the inside and out for me. Alot more power and smoother.
Only problem with the ES350 for me is that it doesn't come in AWD.

I live in NYC and got stuck in the snow this past snow storm a few times.
But the snow does not last too long.

I think you should go test drive the is250 awd...if money is not a problem.
I would go for the gs350 awd. Best of both worlds - AWD and Power.
You guys really hit the nail on the head.

OP, depending on how much of a necessity AWD is for you, you should also check out the HS250h. It'd probably suit you well and a plus is that you can get up to 40mpg.

But as JC07ES350 said the best match for you would probably be a GS350 AWD. The IS and HS are downgrades from the ES350.
Old 05-11-10, 02:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SickES350
the IS isn't a "very rough ride" its a pretty smooth and soft ride for a sports car. for an everyday car as well its pretty smooth as well. it might be rougher since its an awd manual transmission....

but i agree, OP is comparing two different cars... they're not even in the same class ....

I agree. It's apples and oranges. My advice, since you asked, is drive the IS, compare it too your ES and make the decision that's best for you. You're the guy who has to live with the car.
Old 05-11-10, 02:43 PM
iamtony
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for responding so quickly. I appreciate it very much. I do agree with purebliss and JC the ES is bigger for sure and smoother. One of the things that stood out to me personally on the IS is that it does not have the wooden trim on the wheel, I find that odd for some reason, I know its something petty but still, also the last time I did test drive the IS250AWD it seemed rougher then the ES for sure, and as Purebliss mentioned the bumps will feel 10x harder, which I dont want. The money is not the issue but always a concern esp nowdays, I think I am going to stick to the ES350. Hopefully the people I am talking to will give it to me for what I know its worth these days! Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Old 05-11-10, 02:44 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Never drove an IS - just sat once in the driver's seat of 250 AWD - and hated it.
Because of the AWD tranny there is this weird hump in the floor which makes the driver's seat very awkward to get into.
Yes, if you like being cozy and don't have claustrophobic tendencies - then it's fine, but I like the spaciousness of the ES.
And the rear seat is a joke. Why buy a four door car if it can only carry two people + three hobbits? I'd go for Infinity G coupe - more style and same amount of practicality.
Old 05-12-10, 04:48 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The lack of back seat room was the deal killer for us on the IS250 AWD, although we did have one for 3 weeks during the transmission replacement. ES350 was the alternative, traded in a '99 Town Car on our 2007.