ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

CAI vs Short Ram

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 05:21 AM
safford197
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CAI vs Short Ram

Has anyone found an actual Cold Air Intake/Induction CAI or is only the Short Ram intake available? I've seen a few threads for using the Short Ram intake marketed for the Camery V6 but I'm more interested in a CAI because I think getting more air that's cooler is more beneficial. Although I should note my strongest desire with this mod is to open up the throttle sound a little.

I found this by carbonio but not sure it will fit. I used a Carbonio on my 2009 VW Rabbit (work beater) with satisfaction.

http://www.motorintakes.com/product/...s/Default.aspx

Any thoughts, tips or advice are greatly appreciated

Thanks...
Old 05-25-10, 08:56 AM
mjz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a couple of CAIs that should fit the ES350 - Fujita, K&N and Weapon R come to mind.
Old 05-25-10, 09:07 AM
JC07ES350
Rookie

Does your area get flooded alot? That is the only down fall of having a CAI.
Water going into the engine.
Old 01-20-11, 12:59 PM
safford197
Driver

Thought I'd give my original old CAI post a bump, I went ahead and order theWeapon R short ram intake from motorintakes web site, if it yields spectacular results I'll post another update.
Old 01-22-11, 07:52 PM
tardorange
Driver

Originally Posted by safford197
Thought I'd give my original old CAI post a bump, I went ahead and order theWeapon R short ram intake from motorintakes web site, if it yields spectacular results I'll post another update.
Post some pictures. How hard was the install? How does it sound? Any notice in power gain? What other mods you got?
Old 01-24-11, 06:39 PM
acdapast
Driver

post a video!!! before and after!

ill post one of the k&n when i get that installed!
Old 01-28-11, 12:32 PM
safford197
Driver

Originally Posted by acdapast
post a video!!! before and after!

ill post one of the k&n when i get that installed!
Good idea, if I'm not overcome with excitment and rush to put it in, I'll do two videos. It's supposed to arrive today if I'm to believe the tracking info.
Old 01-28-11, 12:48 PM
tardorange
Driver

Post it and show us a video! Can't wait!!!!
Old 01-28-11, 06:59 PM
safford197
Driver

Default $238 worth of smiles

I just completed the installation and as requested I made a b4 and after video. I don't have a very good camera/mic but I think the difference is noticeable. At the very least I can tell you I think it was money well spent. The Weapon R System really opened up the throttle sound under heavy acceleration (say >3,500 RPMs) and the tires actually chirped when the traction control kicked in (not really picked up on the video) which was cool because I could always tell when the traction control would kick in but never felt like there was a reason for it to - now there is.

The only other performance mod I have is light weight wheels and tires, combined weight of one of the wheel and tire is around 45lbs or roughly 10.5lbs lighter then stock.

I took a few of my own photos for installation but the instructions that come with the system were good enough IMO. Simply put you need to remove the existing system then install the new system in it's place. Total time for me to do the install was about one hour but it should be noted that I can't pull my car in the garage so there was alot of back and forth - perhaps someone with space in their garage could do the install in under an hour.

Sorry but I couldn't figure out this forum's video requirements so I posted it on youtube under an account named mrlexus1977. I'll post a link but not sure it's allowed or will get edited out.

Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GlcVvKTrGk

In the video, I took the ES350 out on the highway where the speed limit is 65 MPH and merely went one exit down and turned around. I also included a few of my photos from the install process. Hope the video helps anyone out there with anxiety over the decision to purchase or not. As for me, I feel it's worth every penny and gave me all my money's worth in smiles within the first ten minutes.
Old 01-29-11, 01:11 AM
tardorange
Driver

I just completed the installation and as requested I made a b4 and after video. I don't have a very good camera/mic but I think the difference is noticeable. At the very least I can tell you I think it was money well spent. The Weapon R System really opened up the throttle sound under heavy acceleration (say >3,500 RPMs) and the tires actually chirped when the traction control kicked in (not really picked up on the video) which was cool because I could always tell when the traction control would kick in but never felt like there was a reason for it to - now there is.

The only other performance mod I have is light weight wheels and tires, combined weight of one of the wheel and tire is around 45lbs or roughly 10.5lbs lighter then stock.

I took a few of my own photos for installation but the instructions that come with the system were good enough IMO. Simply put you need to remove the existing system then install the new system in it's place. Total time for me to do the install was about one hour but it should be noted that I can't pull my car in the garage so there was alot of back and forth - perhaps someone with space in their garage could do the install in under an hour.

Sorry but I couldn't figure out this forum's video requirements so I posted it on youtube under an account named mrlexus1977. I'll post a link but not sure it's allowed or will get edited out.

Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GlcVvKTrGk

In the video, I took the ES350 out on the highway where the speed limit is 65 MPH and merely went one exit down and turned around. I also included a few of my photos from the install process. Hope the video helps anyone out there with anxiety over the decision to purchase or not. As for me, I feel it's worth every penny and gave me all my money's worth in smiles within the first ten minutes.
Thanks for the video. Are you good at DIY? Reason I am asking is because lets say if your not good at doing DIY how long will this take a newbie to install? What are tools needed to installing this and do you need to cut or modify anything?

. You can hear the difference. Suggest you pair it up with a nice sounding magnaflow exhaust to complete the sound. And get some HIDS. Do you know anything about installing HID fogs?
Old 01-29-11, 07:10 AM
safford197
Driver

I'd say I'm mechanically inclined but not an engineer... I've done only one other CAI install in my entire life.

It's probably a good idea to have a friend there just incase you forget something but like I said in the write up the instructions that came with the kit were adequate.

As far as tools, a philips and a slotted screw driver are necessary. For the kit I purchased it came with two screws for the air flow sensor and these screws had a fine thread so you can't use the old screws. The problem is the screws have a star head with a center pin, I had a kit I purchased from autozone with all kinds of heads and was lucky to have one on hand (See photo). The only other tricky part is removing all the plastic molding, the plastic snaps from Lexus are a PIA but I had a small pic tool that helped me (See photo). No cutting was necessary and I didn't have to damage any parts during the install.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails CAI vs Short Ram-sdc11470.jpg   CAI vs Short Ram-sdc11469.jpg  
Old 01-29-11, 01:31 PM
tardorange
Driver

I'd say I'm mechanically inclined but not an engineer... I've done only one other CAI install in my entire life.

It's probably a good idea to have a friend there just incase you forget something but like I said in the write up the instructions that came with the kit were adequate.

As far as tools, a philips and a slotted screw driver are necessary. For the kit I purchased it came with two screws for the air flow sensor and these screws had a fine thread so you can't use the old screws. The problem is the screws have a star head with a center pin, I had a kit I purchased from autozone with all kinds of heads and was lucky to have one on hand (See photo). The only other tricky part is removing all the plastic molding, the plastic snaps from Lexus are a PIA but I had a small pic tool that helped me (See photo). No cutting was necessary and I didn't have to damage any parts during the install.

Good luck
Thanks . Can you make another short video of the intake sound windows up and windows down? Do you have warranty on car I wonder what they will say and any other modifications you have made to your ES?
Old 01-30-11, 07:17 PM
safford197
Driver

@tardorange, Sorry, I did do two more videos with the windows down but the wind buffeting on the cheap mic I have made it impossible to hear anything. I'm not sure about the warranty, don't really care much as I do all my own work. I wouldn't trust the stealership with so much as rotating my tires (seriously, in the past they screwed that up on two cars, and also an oil change- overfilled). Good luck
Old 01-31-11, 01:11 AM
Ochasey
Driver School Candidate

Great Job.. You did well for only your 2nd time... You have me a bit curious about doing a little work on mine.. Great Post!!! ..
-----------------------
2007 Es350 AquaMarine Pearl

2002 Chevy Impala White..
Old 01-31-11, 06:32 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do yourself a favor and skip either of these things. They won't do anything for your ES at all other than make it noisier.

Oops, you already did it. Forget what I said and enjoy it. :P

Quick Reply: CAI vs Short Ram