Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In my opinion:

IS - nice smaller car / backseat room a no sale / fun to drive
ES - comfortable, good size car / quiet
GS - tight interior / nice car
LS - need more $ / would buy in a heartbeat. Maybe 96 month term loan? LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by garsarno:
CamelKool (04-01-21), Wilson2000 (06-25-20)
Old 06-17-10, 03:26 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I looked at the 2010 ES in the showroom recently and I was really impressed, and I'm well below 61 years old. The interior and exterior have a refined, sophisticated design which I believe really appeals to informed buyers (hence it's success over the past 20 years). I think a lot of the criticism that the ES gets is that it requires the least drivers input possible. But IMO there's nothing wrong with that. It's a comfortable, reliable, feature rich ride from point A to B, and it performs those roles incredibly well. I say go with it, because educated folks will appreciate the car you drive.
Old 06-17-10, 03:45 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont let age be the only factor when you consider an ES. I almost bought a GS350 but found that the ES350 to be bigger inside (especially the trunk opening). So that was what i got. I am 36 by the way and i enjoy the roominess and the straight-line power of this car. And yes, i was able to take on some "sports cars" in a red light from time to time.

I kind of miss the handling compared to the GS. I had an IS as a loaner car a few times before. I like the rear-wheel drive handling and paddle shifter but it is too cramped inside for my taste. The ES has a more premium feel though. Note that my passengers like to fall asleep in my car. The quietness and smoothness is great for long distance/freeway driving.

As for the Buick, i actually like the new Buicks (Regal and LaCrosse). With the supercharger engines and the updated body styles, they are no longer our grandpas Buicks any more.
Old 06-17-10, 04:43 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

bought my 1st Lexus ES330 @ age 43.....In March now @ 50 ....bought 2010 ES350 . If you want true comfort and luxury feel the ES will not disappoint. If you still feel need to be cool next to BMW 328 then get the rough ride- imo - IS Series . I went thru couple Mazda RX-7 back in the day so had no desire to go that route. Hope you find the feel, look, comfort you're looking for.
Old 06-17-10, 05:26 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate all the feedback so far and I am glad to see that at least a few people are a bit younger than 61 who drive the ES. I am going to the dealership this weekend so I am sure it will become a lot clearer. I have a feeling the IS won't work for me and my wife (and kids) The LS and the GS are too expensive so it looks like the ES is probably the only realistic option. I liked the way the ES looked prior to see the article.
Old 06-18-10, 04:47 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

yea if you have kids and take road trips, the IS may be a little small. Im a bigger guy (6'-1" & 230lbs) and when i get an IS for a loaner, i have to have the seat all the way back to fit comfortably. That leaves no room behind if someone sits in the back lol. I would say out of the 2 the ES sounds like it would fit you more. GL! btw where in PA?
Old 06-18-10, 08:15 AM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I brought my ES home and my 8 year old daughter first saw it,
she asked: "Dad, are you still going to have this car in eight years."
"With good luck I would," - I replied. "Why are you asking?"
"Because I want to drive it then," - she said.
Old 06-18-10, 09:44 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,365 Posts

AGE, AGE, AGE - Why the heck is everyone hung up on AGE Buy what the heck you want. The ES, a very nice car, but not for me. My wife, however, loves hers. Me, as you can see below, I drive a slightly modded ISF. That's because it suits me Age - I'm 71, and my wife is 64. I guess she fits the profile, I don't think I do. So What

Lou
Old 06-19-10, 01:49 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Well, I just got back from my Lexus dealership. The IS is definitely too small, although the IS convertible in red is hot (but not practical). I drove the ES and it is very comfortable and nice looking. I am having a hard time deciding on color. I was a little disappointed with the beige interior of the black car. At this point, I leaning towards getting the black sapphire (very dark navy and almost looks black) with the grey interior. I know this is all subjective but the grey interior seems a little more sporty than the beige.
Old 06-19-10, 02:04 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaDrive
Well, I just got back from my Lexus dealership. The IS is definitely too small, although the IS convertible in red is hot (but not practical). I drove the ES and it is very comfortable and nice looking. I am having a hard time deciding on color. I was a little disappointed with the beige interior of the black car. At this point, I leaning towards getting the black sapphire (very dark navy and almost looks black) with the grey interior. I know this is all subjective but the grey interior seems a little more sporty than the beige.
Don't know about sporty but I got the new Cashmere (exterior) with Parchment (beige) interior and love it
Old 06-19-10, 10:18 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Ditto what most of the people here are saying. Buy what you want and don't worry about what others think. Just remind yourself that the ES350 is very roomy, but you should not even pretend to have a sporty car. The IS drives with more balance as it is RWD, but is a serious compromise of interior space and isn't very sporty anyway.

Despite my young friends' questioning, I chose an ES350 because it's attractive in a very restrained and classy way, and it's a highway star with gobs of passing power. Its interior will impress anybody with ample space and materials quality. FWIW, I was 23 and earned a speeding ticket with the ES because it makes highway speeds seem like nothing.
Old 06-19-10, 10:32 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is nothing with the ES, i dont know how young you are, but heck your getting a lexus ahaha, just be happy you can buy one. When I was learning to drive, I was feeling so balling driving my moms 07 ES, hahah. Dont age stop you from a great/reliable car. you can always modded it too look the way you want it, or a little younger ahaha good luck on your buy.
Old 06-19-10, 10:53 PM
alckc
Driver School Candidate

I bought my Lexus for the reliability and safety factor since it will be primarily my daughter who will be driving it later-on. She says it is a old lady car, but I told her that when I was her age I had to drive my parents' station wagon.

I do prefer my Jaguar Vanden Plas (it's a sweet ride), but enjoy the Lexus almost as much.
Old 06-20-10, 09:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaDrive
I appreciate all the feedback so far and I am glad to see that at least a few people are a bit younger than 61 who drive the ES. I am going to the dealership this weekend so I am sure it will become a lot clearer. I have a feeling the IS won't work for me and my wife (and kids) The LS and the GS are too expensive so it looks like the ES is probably the only realistic option. I liked the way the ES looked prior to see the article.
HondaDrive, have you considered the Infiniti G37 sedan or new gen Maxima? Both are sportier than the ES350 and similar in size.

We shopped the G37 and it offers a lot for the money, but was a bit too cramped for our taste. Great handling and performance though.
Old 06-20-10, 10:53 AM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexBob2
HondaDrive, have you considered the Infiniti G37 sedan or new gen Maxima? Both are sportier than the ES350 and similar in size.

We shopped the G37 and it offers a lot for the money, but was a bit too cramped for our taste. Great handling and performance though.

LexBob2, I considered the Infinity but I am too lazy to go to the dealer which is pretty far from where I live. Also, I want a sporty car but I am not sure if my back could take it. I suspect, based on consumer reviews, the infinity seats would not be as comfortable as those in the Lexus.

Quick Reply: Age of ES 350 owners