Age of ES 350 owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 06:00 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Age of ES 350 owners

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I was about to buy a Lexus ES 350 and still will probably buy this car but I saw an article about this car that made me think about it. I read that the average age of an ES 350 buyer is 61. I am well under 61 but really like the car but I do not want to buy a car that mostly seniors are buying. I am also looking at the IS 350. Comfort is very important to but I also want a youthful looking car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (04-01-21)
Old 06-16-10, 06:14 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaDrive
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I was about to buy a Lexus ES 350 and still will probably buy this car but I saw an article about this car that made me think about it. I read that the average age of an ES 350 buyer is 61. I am well under 61 but really like the car but I do not want to buy a car that mostly seniors are buying. I am also looking at the IS 350. Comfort is very important to but I also want a youthful looking car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
HondaDrive, yes the average age of the buyers of new ES's is high vs. the IS. It seems that a number of younger buyers are getting into pre-owned cars though. If it's an issue, yes you will see a lot of "mature" buyers in the ES. According to JD Power, it has the 2nd highest average age of owners after the LS.

Last edited by LexBob2; 06-16-10 at 06:18 PM.
CamelKool (04-01-21)
Old 06-16-10, 06:19 PM
LexFather

Hello,

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum. Why does it matter what older people buy? The ES looks youthful and appeals to an older clientele but there are younger guys on here with it (some with mods). It all depends on priorities.

See the graph below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ownership.html

TOP 30 LOWEST CONCENTRATION OF UNDER 34 YEAR OLD OWNERS
Make Model Percent
CADILLAC DTS 1.1%
BUICK LUCERNE 1.2%
MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS 1.4%
TOYOTA AVALON 1.9%
CADILLAC STS 2.0%
LINCOLN TOWN CAR 2.1%
BUICK LACROSSE 2.2%
LINCOLN MKS 2.9%
LINCOLN MKT 3.1%
LINCOLN MKZ 3.2%
LEXUS LS 3.2%
ACURA RL 3.6%
HYUNDAI AZERA 3.7%
CHEVROLET IMPALA 4.1%
PORSCHE PANAMERA 4.1%
FORD TAURUS 4.2%
AUDI A8 4.4%
LEXUS ES 4.6%
CADILLAC CTS 4.6%
CADILLAC SRX 4.8%
VOLVO S80 4.9%
VOLVO C70 4.9%
MERCEDES-BENZ S-CLASS 4.9%
LINCOLN MKX 5.1%
MAZDA MX5 5.3%
VOLVO XC70 5.5%
MERCEDES-BENZ E-CLASS 5.7%
INFINITI M35 5.8%
MERCURY MILAN 5.9%
JAGUAR XK 6.0%
Old 06-16-10, 06:34 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

[QUOTE=1SICKLEX;5573578]Welcome to the forum. Why does it matter what older people buy? The ES looks youthful and appeals to an older clientele but there are younger guys on here with it (some with mods). It all depends on priorities.

It does matter to me but I guess for superficial reasons. At the extreme, I would not buy a Buick not matter what it looked like. Ultimately, I will buy a Lexus and the most comfortable one in my price range. I already have a SUV so I am not likely to buy a Lexus SUV, even thought they are awesome looking. I read the 61 age, but most people I see in an ES are in their 40s. I can't wait to upgrade to a Lexus!
Old 06-16-10, 06:35 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

[QUOTE=HondaDrive;5573622]
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Welcome to the forum. Why does it matter what older people buy? The ES looks youthful and appeals to an older clientele but there are younger guys on here with it (some with mods). It all depends on priorities.

It does matter to me but I guess for superficial reasons. At the extreme, I would not buy a Buick not matter what it looked like. Ultimately, I will buy a Lexus and the most comfortable one in my price range. I already have a SUV so I am not likely to buy a Lexus SUV, even thought they are awesome looking. I read the 61 age, but most people I see in an ES are in their 40s. I can't wait to upgrade to a Lexus!

Also, what is a mod?
Old 06-16-10, 06:38 PM
LexFather

Well I understand you being worried about image. Its a fact of life. Don't let people on the internet tell you image doesn't matter. It does to most buyers. It is even more of an issue in Europe and Japan. That said don't let a good car pass you by solely b/c of image.

The ES/IS drive totally different and the size is also completely different. The IS is the more youth oriented car but some young people prefer the ES size.

A mod = modification, like wheels, springs, bodykit etc.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 06-16-10, 06:46 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I understand you being worried about image. Its a fact of life. Don't let people on the internet tell you image doesn't matter. It does to most buyers. It is even more of an issue in Europe and Japan. That said don't let a good car pass you by solely b/c of image.

The ES/IS drive totally different and the size is also completely different. The IS is the more youth oriented car but some young people prefer the ES size.

A mod = modification, like wheels, springs, bodykit etc.

Good luck with your purchase.
I saw an IS 250 in my parking lot today and I was shocked by how small it looked. Image is important but it is not everything. I prefer Toyotas these days because they are so comfortable. So I want comfort and image.
CamelKool (04-01-21)
Old 06-16-10, 07:49 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am 37 and love my ES. It rocks. I love how quiet it is. I love the smooth ride. I love how comfortable it is. I love how it drives. It is a big car. A big family car. But with three kids that's what I needed.
CamelKool (04-01-21)
Old 06-16-10, 09:02 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard, If you are concerned that you will be mistaken for being 'out of step' then go for the IS, it is more sporty looking and I see more young people driving this car. Consider this, if you plan to add another one or two people to your life in the near future then the ES would have much more room than the IS. I have a coworker who is not over 25 and he has a ES 330 and he loves it. However, if perception is an issue (and that's ok) then go for the IS. Also, checkout the IS forum, I think it has more young people there as members. Cheers!!
Old 06-17-10, 02:15 AM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexPaul
Welcome aboard, If you are concerned that you will be mistaken for being 'out of step' then go for the IS, it is more sporty looking and I see more young people driving this car. Consider this, if you plan to add another one or two people to your life in the near future then the ES would have much more room than the IS. I have a coworker who is not over 25 and he has a ES 330 and he loves it. However, if perception is an issue (and that's ok) then go for the IS. Also, checkout the IS forum, I think it has more young people there as members. Cheers!!
No more kids. I have already have two little ones and that is enough for me. I plan to go to my Lexus dealership this weekend to look and test drive all of my options. I like the idea of an IS as it definitely satisfies my mid life crisis needs but it may not be practical enough.
Old 06-17-10, 02:22 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

What about a GS?
CamelKool (04-01-21)
Old 06-17-10, 04:23 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
What about a GS?
My thoughts also. Us old people like soft cushy rides. We buy them for our road trips and don't have to worry about kids anymore. I didn't even look at a Lexus until after age 62 and then the GS ride was a little firm where as the ES was the right ticket. You can always wear a bag over your head when you drive it. Enjoy the ride
CamelKool (04-01-21)
Old 06-17-10, 07:52 AM
c6vert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your concern?

I am 61 and we just bought a 350 in April. Our first Lexus and we traded a 07 MKZ. All I can say is it is a fantastic car and we have gotten numerous comments about it. And many from younger people. That said, I can somewhat understand your concern. But, that would eliminate a significant number of nice cars. The Infiniti M series, the Caddy CTS set, The BMW 7xx series, etc. Are they older people mobiles or are they just regarded as cooler than the ES?
Personally, if I really want to impress anyone (not likely at my age), I simply drive my 07 Corvette convertible. Which, BTW, I was contemplating trading for a new SC XXX until I found out last week there isn't going to be another SC. According to my Lexus dealer, the IS 350C is more than enough to make up for the SC. So, your idea of an IS probably should be elevated to an IS 350 if you really want a mid life crisis vehicle.
Good luck.
Old 06-17-10, 07:58 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Hello,

Thank you.
I'm 59 and my wife is 55.
She is the primary driver of the ES, my daily driver is an IS250AWD.
We have been driving an ES since the ES250 in 1991 (I was 40 then)
My mother (84) is driving my wife's old '94 ES300 in Florida
in March, we traded our '02 ES300 (w/ big brake conversion) for a '10 ES350
We are extremely pleased with the car!!!
Old 06-17-10, 08:22 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

you shouldnt let age deterime what car you should get. the IS is smaller than the ES. ive had both an IS and ES loaner. The IS is more fun to drive imo but the ES is more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Age of ES 350 owners