ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Finance Department Add Ons at Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 12:11 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finance Department Add Ons at Purchase

Every time I buy a new car, the finance department tries to sell me a bunch of crap. (Honda and Toyota) Any thoughts on what to expect from a Lexus dealership? Is it the standard stuff such as GAP, tire protection, roadside stuff, extended warranty, etc.
Old 06-25-10, 12:28 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Yes, it is all of that plus maybe window tint, Lojack, tire or maintenance packages, and more - everything to do with selling and nothing to do with Finance. I always tell them right away that the answer to everythng is "no". This final step always leaves me with a negative feeling about what is usually a very pleasant buying experience. I guess I just hope that Lexus would be above this practice but I'm afraid not. You will notice that your salesman who is probably a little embarrased about this step will always disappear at this time.

Dave Mac
Old 06-25-10, 12:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Yes, it is all of that plus maybe window tint, Lojack, tire or maintenance packages, and more - everything to do with selling and nothing to do with Finance. I always tell them right away that the answer to everythng is "no". This final step always leaves me with a negative feeling about what is usually a very pleasant buying experience. I guess I just hope that Lexus would be above this practice but I'm afraid not. You will notice that your salesman who is probably a little embarrased about this step will always disappear at this time.

Dave Mac
The same thing happened to us when we bought our cars at two different Lexus dealerships. As you said, it does help to say no to everything right off the bat and the finance person usually will ease off. I don't care for it either.
Old 06-25-10, 01:53 PM
jimmy2x
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, when I purchased the car in February, I told the salesman that I was not interested in any "rust, dust, or mop and glow" and to please convey that to the F&I guy. Much to my surprise the process took all of 5 minutes. Kudos to Wilkie Lexus in the Philly burbs.
Old 06-25-10, 01:53 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

They brought out a 8 1/2 x 14 sheet of paper with "SPECIALS" just for me. Pain sealants, chip guard etc. I told them to get to the paperwork for my new car, before I changed my mind on buying the car
Old 06-25-10, 02:55 PM
LexFather

Just standard stuff....they should be pointing the monitor at you and showing how the payments change according to what is added.

If I recall what is standard now:
extended warranty
Gaap
Tire Protection
LoJack
Old 06-25-10, 06:13 PM
HondaDrive
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, that process was easy. The finance woman just showed me the options quickly and I said no to each one. Once I said no, she moved on and the whole process took about 10 minutes.
Old 06-26-10, 11:20 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaDrive
Well, that process was easy. The finance woman just showed me the options quickly and I said no to each one. Once I said no, she moved on and the whole process took about 10 minutes.
Good. I'm glad you didn't get sucked into all the scam services like most people do. The only thing that is actually useful is that of the front clear shield, which you can have done yourself at any reputable shop for less money then at the dealer.
Old 06-27-10, 02:58 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife insisted on adding on the dent protection (repair) and the wheel and tire protection. I forgot the cost but it was a lot. We used the dent repair once in three years and our wheels have curb rash marks, which the finance guy told us verbally that it was covered but the service manager, after one year, told us / showed us that it was NOT covered. The only add on I would go for now is the Lexus Platinum Extended warranty but I would be armed with a competitive price quote via the internet before I picked up the car. I bought the extended warranty that way last fall before the factory warranty ran out on our 2007 and saved $600 over our local dealer's initial price quote.
Old 07-02-10, 04:47 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garsarno
The only add on I would go for now is the Lexus Platinum Extended warranty