ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Wax-Paint Sealant-Leather Protect-Carpet/Mat Protect

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 11:08 AM
b8tzm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax-Paint Sealant-Leather Protect-Carpet/Mat Protect

The dealers wanted hundreds for Hand Wash & Wax-Paint Sealant-Leather Protect and Carpet/Mat Protect

Local detailer says he will do it all for $70. I asked how he can do it all so reasonable he told me he has less than 10% in the materials. His work looks good.

Is any of what I am describing a waste of time/money on a new car??? Would like to hear what some people with experience think. Thank you for input.
Old 06-29-10, 11:30 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

At $70 it is not a bad deal if you don't want to do it yourself. More than that at a dealer won't get you a better job.

Dave Mac
Old 07-01-10, 05:05 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do these things every month. I have a subscription with my detailer where I pay them $700 a year and they provide unlimited services - whatever I ask. Unlimited washing, waxing, detailing, sealants, leather care, etc.

Normally I do a full detail once a quarter, wax and leather condition once a month, and wash every week.
Old 07-01-10, 02:56 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You are comparing Apples to Oranges. $70 will get you a $70 hack job. $150 will get you a quality job using quality products by a place that actually cares about the end result. Going for the 'cheapest' bidder in the detail world is always a bad idea. You will get exactly what you pay for.
Old 07-01-10, 03:29 PM
b8tzm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by miniz
You are comparing Apples to Oranges. $70 will get you a $70 hack job. $150 will get you a quality job using quality products by a place that actually cares about the end result. Going for the 'cheapest' bidder in the detail world is always a bad idea. You will get exactly what you pay for.
Not sure what you get where you live but the $70 hack job I got looks pretty darn good to me. My ex wife used to think the more you paid for something the better it was and that wasn't always true. To each their own. I'm happy and that's all that matters.
Old 07-01-10, 04:35 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by b8tzm
Not sure what you get where you live but the $70 hack job I got looks pretty darn good to me. My ex wife used to think the more you paid for something the better it was and that wasn't always true. To each their own. I'm happy and that's all that matters.
It makes a difference to whom you go if you have a black car. With lighter colours its hard to tell.
Old 07-01-10, 07:14 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

I'm sure it does to the average Joe, such as yourself. Corners were cut to get the price down, on everything from the product quality/durability to skipping things altogether in order to reduce labor time. Just because something costs more doesn't mean it always is, but in the detail world 99% of the time its true that you more you spend the better the end result. You get exactly what you pay for, not a cent more.
Old 07-02-10, 04:29 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the OP is referring to a sealant package that is sold in the finance department when the car is purchased new. These sealant packages usually sell for hundreds of dollars. They are, indeed, a ripoff. The dealer's detail guys spent about 10 minutes applying a 10 dollar sealant and you pay up to a grand for it. All you are really buying is a paint protection warranty. Read the fine print on the policy, it's a joke. Any detailer can apply a good quality sealant for 50 to 70 bucks.

If we are talking about a full paint correction detail, that's a different story. You do get what you pay for.
Old 07-02-10, 02:15 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I think the OP is referring to a sealant package that is sold in the finance department when the car is purchased new. These sealant packages usually sell for hundreds of dollars. They are, indeed, a ripoff. The dealer's detail guys spent about 10 minutes applying a 10 dollar sealant and you pay up to a grand for it. All you are really buying is a paint protection warranty. Read the fine print on the policy, it's a joke. Any detailer can apply a good quality sealant for 50 to 70 bucks.

If we are talking about a full paint correction detail, that's a different story. You do get what you pay for.
Is he talking about the F&I new car package? I didn't see that. If so, then yes that is a case that falls in the 1% vastly super overpriced rip-off category. Someone can easily do that for you for $70, or you can do it yourself.
Old 07-05-10, 03:09 PM
rikkus256
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think any person can make a "NEW" car look pretty good.
Old 07-05-10, 03:58 PM
b8tzm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rikkus256
You obviously haven't seen my work

I think and at least 1 other might agree that on a new car you can do a lot better than what the dealer tries to stick you for on the services I wanted on my new car. AMEN
Old 07-05-10, 04:43 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I agree with the perspective thAt if you pay for more detailing time you get a better result.

Check out the work of one of my local detailers here. Simply amazing.

http://www.scheerdetailing.com/Schee....com/Home.html
Old 07-06-10, 03:49 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rikkus256
Definitely not true. I've seen clueless DIY-type people destroy brand new cars and I've also seen hack job 'so called' detailers ruin them.
Old 07-06-10, 05:26 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree w/ MINIZ, you should be able to get a good full detail for about $150. $70 sounds too cheap, unless you have a neighbors kid who knows what he's doing. Especially in NY.

The Dealers price sounds too high.

Love your user name; do you have brass ones or a chicken farm?