ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Used ES350 or new Other car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-10, 12:27 PM
eli2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used ES350 or new Other car?

Hi guys. I wanted to ask for your advice on buying a 'new' car. My budget is around 25000-30000, but can be a little bit flexible on the top. I currently drive a 2001 ES300 that has almost 110000 miles on it, and everything looks fine. I was planning to give the car to my mom; she also drives an older ES300 but some stuff is broken.

I think we're all obviously biased towards a particular brand here on these forums, but I'm hoping you guys can be objective about this. My friends are all saying that I should get a brand new car instead, like a Corolla/Civic/Accord/etc because I'll get that free maintenance and stuff, and there won't be any problems. Plus they justify not buying used by saying that there must be something wrong w/the car for the original owner to have sold it.

I would like to stick with Lexus because I like how smooth and quiet it is, I like the nifty extra things they add, and it just looks nice on the inside. How much I'll be driving it - it'd be around 5-30 miles daily for the next two years, then < 5miles daily, or even within walking distance (so not much driving), for the next 3-5 years, keeping it for a while.

So I wanted to ask what your take on this is. And if we're going with Lexus ES350, what year and other stuff should I start looking for (eg I am horrible at directions, have a GPS unit I have to always use, is the Nav add-on a good expenditure or unnecessary). I think if I had to get one of those other cars, I wouldn't be completely satisfied with what I have, so once I have enough money, I'd get rid of it.

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-03-10, 01:17 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eli2k
Hi guys. I wanted to ask for your advice on buying a 'new' car. My budget is around 25000-30000, but can be a little bit flexible on the top. I currently drive a 2001 ES300 that has almost 110000 miles on it, and everything looks fine. I was planning to give the car to my mom; she also drives an older ES300 but some stuff is broken.

I think we're all obviously biased towards a particular brand here on these forums, but I'm hoping you guys can be objective about this. My friends are all saying that I should get a brand new car instead, like a Corolla/Civic/Accord/etc because I'll get that free maintenance and stuff, and there won't be any problems. Plus they justify not buying used by saying that there must be something wrong w/the car for the original owner to have sold it.

I would like to stick with Lexus because I like how smooth and quiet it is, I like the nifty extra things they add, and it just looks nice on the inside. How much I'll be driving it - it'd be around 5-30 miles daily for the next two years, then < 5miles daily, or even within walking distance (so not much driving), for the next 3-5 years, keeping it for a while.

So I wanted to ask what your take on this is. And if we're going with Lexus ES350, what year and other stuff should I start looking for (eg I am horrible at directions, have a GPS unit I have to always use, is the Nav add-on a good expenditure or unnecessary). I think if I had to get one of those other cars, I wouldn't be completely satisfied with what I have, so once I have enough money, I'd get rid of it.

Thanks for any help!
Talk to your dealer about a Certified PreOwned ES350...
Old 07-03-10, 05:44 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by herbvdh
Talk to your dealer about a Certified PreOwned ES350...
Check The numbers on a new ES350, with low new car rates you may find this a better deal than a CPO
Old 07-03-10, 08:06 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eli2k
I would hold onto the 01 until 140-160k range, then sell it. BUT, if you are just going to give it away for free, then who cares.......do it now.

Sounds like you need to get some new friends, because they clearly aren't well educated on the subject of used vehicles. People generally don't trade late model cars because their is something wrong with them. They normally trade because; A.) The body style changes or gets facelift and they need the latest/greatest, B.) The car is nearing the end of its factory warranty and they don't want to own a car without coverage, C.) They just get tired of the car and want something different or decide to move up a class level to a GS or LS, D.) The odometer reading hits a magic number, E.) their lease is up

You can ALWAYS get a better used car for the exact same amount of money it would have taken to purchase a lesser new car.

I would focus my search on ultra luxury edition cars. They have almost every option and will sell very well as a used car down the road in 2015-19 range when you are ready to trade this one in.
Old 07-04-10, 01:08 AM
eli2k
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input, miniz. And yea, those are good points you made about used cars. I was trying to figure out reasons people sell their new cars, because they can't all have problems with it.

I think I'd like to stick with used; I'm still a student, and so I don't think I should get a brand new one and figure out ways to pay for it.
Old 07-05-10, 03:15 PM
rikkus256
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Certified Pre-Owned +1
Most of them look and drive like new plus 3 year warranty with no deductible.
Beside, if you are finance major your professor will tell you a brand new luxury car is a bad financial decision.
Old 07-05-10, 03:57 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rikkus256
Certified Pre-Owned +1
Beside, if you are finance major your professor will tell you a brand new luxury car is a bad financial decision.
That may all depend on the interest rates. The promotional low rates may make the new car the better deal.
Old 07-05-10, 04:01 PM
b8tzm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rikkus256
Certified Pre-Owned +1
If there aren't any used around at a decent price a new ES350 at or below invoice isn't that bad of a financial decision or is it?