2007 ES350 Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 12:35 PM
EW119
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 ES350 Headlight problem

Hi All,

I have a 2007 ES350 and the driver side headlight went off after 5 min of driving. But, it will come back on when you re-start the engine. Any idea of what the problem maybe? Bulb or Sensor? I would very appreciate for any suggestion. BTW. What's cost to fix above problem might be?

Thanks

Eric
Old 09-10-10, 06:25 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have cheapskate halogen or HID?
Old 09-11-10, 09:26 AM
EW119
Driver School Candidate

I have HID headlight.
Old 09-11-10, 06:18 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

80% chance it is the ballast. 20% chance it is the bulb. You need to test both to determine which one is the problem. Remember that xenon (HID) bulbs MUST be replaced in pairs. You cannot just replace one bulb at a time, in case this is the issue.
The following users liked this post:
Jerseyken (03-05-24)
Old 09-13-10, 04:18 PM
EW119
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-14-10, 05:30 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
80% Remember that xenon (HID) bulbs MUST be replaced in pairs. You cannot just replace one bulb at a time, in case this is the issue.
Why is that? My Lexus dealer will replace only one bulb (HID) if only one is out.
Old 09-20-10, 01:29 PM
LowBeam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EW119
Hi All,

I have a 2007 ES350 and the driver side headlight went off after 5 min of driving. But, it will come back on when you re-start the engine. Any idea of what the problem maybe? Bulb or Sensor? I would very appreciate for any suggestion. BTW. What's cost to fix above problem might be?

Thanks

Eric
Same problem here.
Looks like nobody knows how much the dealers charge for changing light bulb.
I am thinking I should have bought a Hyndai and never worry about being "entertained" by dealers.

Hyundai used to be buutt of jokes 10-15 years ago. Not anymore.
Old 09-23-10, 06:34 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Why is that? My Lexus dealer will replace only one bulb (HID) if only one is out.
Xenon bulbs age at different rates which cause the bulbs to change color temperature. I can't tell you how many idiots I see driving around in cars where one bulb is purple (8,000k the old one about to die) and the other is white-blue (4300k the new one). Change them both at the same time to avoid this.
Old 09-24-10, 07:04 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the bulb works intermittently, the problem is not with the bulb. A bulb either works or doesn't work. If a bulb fails it ceases to work, period. Miniz is correct that there will be a color shift as a bulb's lumen depreciation takes effect. But this problem is not the bulb. It's likely a ballast or connection problem. This should be covered by your warranty.
Old 01-02-12, 05:40 PM
3boysmom
Driver School Candidate

Red face Same problem!

Originally Posted by EW119
Hi All,

Thanks

Eric
Same problem with mine! Dont know what to do! Just bought the new bulbs and will see if it works..
Should I contact a Lexus dealer?
Old 01-02-12, 09:44 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
80% chance it is the ballast. 20% chance it is the bulb. You need to test both to determine which one is the problem. Remember that xenon (HID) bulbs MUST be replaced in pairs. You cannot just replace one bulb at a time, in case this is the issue.
Although this sounds like it could be a ballast issue, it's certain possible to be the bulb too. I've had this happened on the driver's side HID bulb where it would turn off on its own after a few minutes of driving.

I later found out to be a bad bulb, not a bad ballast. Replaced the bulb, and all is good.
Old 01-03-12, 06:33 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the bulb works intermittently, the problem is not with the bulb. A bulb either works or doesn't work
Normally this would be true - but for HID bulbs it is NOT true. There is no filament in the bulb that breaks and kills the bulb forever.

It's most likely the bulb. Mine did the same thing.. while driving if I flipped the lights off and back on, it would come back on for a little bit. Service advisor at the dealership confirmed when the bulb is going bad this is typical.

This is covered under the standard warranty (may not be under extended though). If you're covered let the dealer fix it.. if it's your dime try a replacement bulb first.
Old 01-04-12, 02:09 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw a 2007 or slightly newer ES350 pass me at an intersection with drivers side headlight not lit while passenger side was lit.
Old 01-04-12, 03:15 PM
SickES350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swap the right bulb with the left bulb and vice versa. if the problem persist with the driver side it could be ballast. if the problem switches over to the otherside, change out the bulb.
Old 01-05-12, 11:28 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's your bulb. This is how the HID bulbs fail. When it goes out you can usually turn off your lights and then turn them back on and the light will come on again, at least for awhile.

It's easy to replace yourself.

1. Remove the plastic HID socket cover by turning it counter-clockwise.

2. Remove the silver metal socket fitting attached to the braided cable by turning counter-clockwise about 45 degrees and pulling towards you.

3. There's a U-shaped set spring retainer that has kind of curled circle ends. This holds the bulb assembly in place by locking into notches on either side at roughly 11:00 & 1:00 on the housing. Pinch those two curled ends towards each other and pull them out and down to clear the notches and swing the retainer downward. This will release the bulb in the very center of the unit.

4. Pull the bulb out by it's base. It's about 3" long and comes straight out. Don't touch the glass if you intend to reuse the bulb.

5. The Toyota HID bulb is part # 90981-20024 (for my 2007 ES350).

6. Holding the new bulb by the base and without touching the glass, push the bulb back into the hole. There are notches & tabs in the base and mount that must match. Just rotate the bulb until it catches.

7. Reset the retaining spring by swinging it up and pushing it in while pinching the curled ends a bit. Release the ends when they lock into the metal notches on the housing. Make sure the retainer is secure before proceeding.

8. Reattach the metal socket fitting by pushing in at and turning clockwise 45 degrees from roughly a 10:00 to a 12:00 position.

9. Reattach the plastic cover by turning it clockwise.

That's all there is to it.
The following users liked this post:
Jerseyken (03-05-24)

Quick Reply: 2007 ES350 Headlight problem