ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2009 ES350 Front Brake Service

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-10, 08:22 AM
hcfd63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 ES350 Front Brake Service

My wife’s 09' ES has just over 50k miles on it, and needs front break pads. No major rotor warp is felt during breaking – however I am sure they would need to be at least turned. My Lexus dealer (only 1 in the area, Greenville, SC) says they don’t turn rotors ever – even if they would still be in spec after machining. This has been their policy for the last 5 years, they claim 90% of people were coming back with brake pulsations caused by the now thinner and more warp prone rotors. They are quoting me $570 for the front brake job (parts and labor). The Toyota dealer across town (that doesn’t own a Lexus dealer) quoted $189.95 parts and labor, they would simply machine the rotors. I am thinking I am going to go the Toyota route unless anyone has a reason that you think I shouldn’t.
Old 10-08-10, 09:14 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did my front brakes on '07 with new rotors and pads. It is correct - the way they "true" rotors is to put them on a lathe and it scores the rotor to make it all even, taking off metal. Makes the rotor thin and able to heat up more easily and eventually warp again, sooner than later. The cost of truing the rotors helps finance the cost of new rotors, because, you will need new rotors before the pads wear out. The labor to reassemble the front brakes again with new rotors adds up. Best to do it right the first time. Learn from my past mistake years ago.
Old 10-08-10, 02:33 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Unless your rotors are warped then I would not replace them or turn them. I never do and just inspect and measure them and if still in spec just replace the pads. In the 50 years I have been working on cars I have never had a problem doing it this way. If you want to waste the money for new rotors then no harm , no foul.
Old 10-08-10, 03:54 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I have been getting new rotors with new brake pads all of the time. It's such a hassle to have the brakes make noise , pull, pulsate etc and have to take the car back for adjustments. My time is worth something. I would rather pay it up front then eventually redo it. And then, you have worn pads that go against a new rotor. Another potential problem. By the time I need brakes, the car is letting me know.
Old 10-08-10, 07:17 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Unless your rotors are warped then I would not replace them or turn them. I never do and just inspect and measure them and if still in spec just replace the pads. In the 50 years I have been working on cars I have never had a problem doing it this way. If you want to waste the money for new rotors then no harm , no foul.
I have to agree with jagtoes. I've NEVER replaced or turned rotors in any of my cars, and I've kept all six of them past 200,000 miles.

If there's definite warpage then go for it. But otherwise you're just throwing away your money.
Old 10-08-10, 07:23 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by garsarno
I have been getting new rotors with new brake pads all of the time. It's such a hassle to have the brakes make noise , pull, pulsate etc and have to take the car back for adjustments. My time is worth something. I would rather pay it up front then eventually redo it. And then, you have worn pads that go against a new rotor. Another potential problem. By the time I need brakes, the car is letting me know.
I don't know your technical experience but just an FYI here. Brake noise is caused by improper pad installation. Pull is usually cause by a sticking caliper or guides that are not lubricated correctly. The pulsating usually happens with a warped rotor or improper pad bedding. As I mentioned it's your choice to spend the extra dollars for new rotors. Based on what I have seen front rotors run anywhere from $35 to $60 each for the ES. No big deal , unfortunately some of the cars I have would cost me $800 for a pair of front rotors , so the game here is soft pads and wheel cleaner. Being retired I have plenty of time to play with the cars unless it interferes with my golf schedule.
Old 10-09-10, 04:57 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

My "experience" has been that the cost of cutting rotors is best spent towards buying new rotors, which you will eventually have to do with the same new brake pads. The manufacturers have been specifying thinner metal in their rotors for years, esp Ford who was using inferior metal in theirs in the late 80s. I do not have the time to return to my garage for adjustments. Rather pay the slight extra for new rotors (over the cost of cutting) and drive away for many hassle free miles. If you have a car that requires $800 rotors, then maybe I would rethink that option. But, then again, I would most likely still pay it just for the peace of mind in smooth stopping, esp for a Ferrari.
Old 10-09-10, 05:39 AM
jagtoes
Racer

My "experience" has been that the cost of cutting rotors is best spent towards buying new rotors, which you will eventually have to do with the same new brake pads. The manufacturers have been specifying thinner metal in their rotors for years, esp Ford who was using inferior metal in theirs in the late 80s. I do not have the time to return to my garage for adjustments. Rather pay the slight extra for new rotors (over the cost of cutting) and drive away for many hassle free miles. If you have a car that requires $800 rotors, then maybe I would rethink that option. But, then again, I would most likely still pay it just for the peace of mind in smooth stopping, esp for a Ferrari.
Sorry , I understand your experience level now. Enjoy the ride.
Old 10-09-10, 10:44 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

BTW; The Ferrari is very nice. Did you procure from the dealer next to Peter Lugers - Great Neck?
Old 10-09-10, 02:25 PM
jagtoes
Racer

BTW; The Ferrari is very nice. Did you procure from the dealer next to Peter Lugers - Great Neck?
Nope I got it in Canada some time ago. Fun ride .
Old 10-10-10, 09:09 AM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My previous car's rotors were only $20 each. I think it costs $20 to get rotors turned. I just replaced the rotors. By the time I took them off and would have to drive them somewhere and then go back it would have been worth just buying new rotors. Disc brakes are remarkably easy.
Old 10-10-10, 11:48 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Checked NAPA online store: $49 for premium / $68 for ultra premium front rotors (per rotor).
So, A $20 discount off each (for not turning your on the car rotors) is pretty good.
Old 10-12-10, 12:06 AM
ppark7384
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dreyfus
I have to agree with jagtoes. I've NEVER replaced or turned rotors in any of my cars, and I've kept all six of them past 200,000 miles.

If there's definite warpage then go for it. But otherwise you're just throwing away your money.
QFT No need to turn or buy new rotors if there not warped. Also if your not racing and agressively driving your car, rotors would never get warped in the first place.

A case where it would get warped with normal driving is uneven pressure on the lug nuts, or bad/ failing suspension components. If your getting you maint. done at the dealership or a trusty mechanic, I would never turn the rotors only replace if your keeping the car for a very long time. If doing maint. yourself I would always use a torque wrench when putting the wheels back on.

edit

Also I will only use oem parts or aftermarket that is proven to be reliable. Cheaper brake pads (especially the ones with lifetime warranty) kill your rotors.

Last edited by ppark7384; 10-12-10 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-12-10, 07:36 PM
racingt
Rookie

Had the Lexus dealer turn the front rotors at 14K, they also changed the brake pads on all four brake calipers (all under warranty). Symptom - major brake pedal pulsation - warped rotors. Now at 30K miles and brakes are as smooth as silk.

Rotors warp on me when a car is new, I am a late braker but I coast before braking. Once my vehicles rotors are initialy turned they run true for a long time. I've never had to replace a rotor in any vehicle I have ever owned (knock on wood).
Old 10-13-10, 07:01 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by racingt
Had the Lexus dealer turn the front rotors at 14K, they also changed the brake pads on all four brake calipers (all under warranty). Symptom - major brake pedal pulsation - warped rotors. Now at 30K miles and brakes are as smooth as silk.

Rotors warp on me when a car is new, I am a late braker but I coast before braking. Once my vehicles rotors are initialy turned they run true for a long time. I've never had to replace a rotor in any vehicle I have ever owned (knock on wood).
Wow , I'm both surprised and disappointed in hearing this. I would find this unacceptable and would have told the dealer to replace the defective rotors and not turn them. Although with ABS you get some faint pulsing on hard braking you should not have ended up with warped rotors. Did they happen to say how far they were out (what was the runout). As you could see this is not normal and now after 30K miles they are still true it indicates to me that this was a rotor defect. Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: 2009 ES350 Front Brake Service