Search this Thread

Old 10-17-10, 10:56 PM
ichigo13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350….put in R and it dies !!! please help

Hi,
I am desperate……
I had this problem few days ago, and I couldn’t figure it out…..
I’ve tried many things, but still no use….
The problem is, when I start my ES350 in the morning, put in reverse, it dies directly!!!! Put it back on N, everything is fine, D everything is fine.
This is happening most of the time now, and only when the car is cold. I tried to warm it up before put in R, but the same problem. I tried to reset the computer, but the same problem is there. I tried to change the gear oil, still the problem is there.
If I started the car and put from P to R it dies. If I put in D then start moving few meters then stop put in R and give it a try it works just fine with no problems at all !!!!!!!!!!!
What might be the problem? And how can I solve it???
I know this issue is been discussed many times, but I want more detailed explanation to my problem.
Did anyone had some sort of experience with similar situation?

thank
Old 10-18-10, 05:35 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Do you have a "check engine" light on your dash? If so I would get a diagnostic scanner and verify if and what the code is. If you have no code then you would need to start trying to understand how the transmission selector relates to the engine management system. Does the engine "cut off" and stall or does the idle speed just get reduced? What is your idle speed (rpm)? Does it go below 700rpm while shifting into R or D ? Do you have your foot on the brake when you shift? There are multiple processors in these cars so to do an extensive diagnostic requires the dealer's scanner. Also how old is your car and what is the mileage? Is it out of warranty? Need more information.
Old 10-18-10, 07:36 AM
ichigo13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the engine "cut off" as u said, and there is no "check engine" light on the dash....!
i've done full extensive diagnostic scan, yet everything seems fine, No problems whatsoever.....
the idle speed is at normal level when in D, but it goes to 0 when shifting to R immediatly....
yes i have my foot on the break when shift to R....
my car is 2008 and the mileage is 40000.....

what makes me go crazy is that, this issue some times ''just disappear''.. i mean when i start the car at morning, shift to R, car go smothly without any problem !!!!!!! why is that happening???

and why after moving the car for few meters,then there will be no problem with R mode....no problem at all!!!!!

what i am currently doing is, quickly shift to R mode and increase the acceleration above 1000 rpm, but if i let go of the speed, the car is dying !!!

i thought changing the oile and the filter of the gear will help, i did change them last night, but this morning same problems happend again.....grrrrrrrrr

is there any problem with the gear????

am still waiting for a solution.....

BTW, car is out of warranty.......
Old 10-18-10, 08:48 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory warranty is good for 4 years or 50,000 miles. Your car has not exceeded either of these two criteria. Why do you say the car is out of warranty? Take it to the dealer and let them help you.
Old 11-07-10, 11:59 AM
judd986S
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the car a salvage title or something that took away the warranty?
Old 11-07-10, 02:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

If it is the trans, the powertrain warranty is even longer than the bumper to bumper (6 years?).
Old 11-09-10, 12:07 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be an issue with the parking pawl not releasing when the shifter is moved from P to R, but it does release when moved further away from P to N or D and stays released when moved back from D or N to R. With the pawl engaged, the car cannot move and the engine will stall when put in gear and given gas. If this is the case, then there could be an adjustment problem with the mechanical cable linking the shifter to the transmission, the shifter assembly itself, etc.

Was the car in a substantial front end accident?