ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Leather Discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 01:19 PM
kewl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Discoloration

Anyone have what looks like a dirty seat actually turn out to be the leather losing its color?

I tried just about every leather cleaner there is without success and then decided to look real close with an eye loop and it looks like the color of the leather has come out.

Its an 07 with 36,000 miles - and I have put all 37,000 on it - but I don't think this is what one would expect to happen so soon.
Attached Thumbnails Leather Discoloration-5.jpg   Leather Discoloration-8.jpg  
Old 10-23-10, 02:07 PM
saintsaens
Driver School Candidate

That's the problem with light-colored leather from Lexus. Wearing jeans rubs off on the leather. Nothing you can do will clean it off. I had the same problem and called a guy who does leather repair. He redyed the area, and it looks just like new. Cost about $100. Try asking/googling around for repair services in your area.
Old 10-23-10, 02:17 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

A lot of times, "leather" cleaners are too weak, I strongly recommend Meguiars Products. I have my own detailing business and I know how leather can be, especially delicate Lexus type. If you were in Ohio I could get that looking new for you but here is what I recommend you purchase:

Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner Plus
Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Conditioner

Get a spray bottle and dilute APC+ to 10:1 or 4:1 and liberally spray on leather surface, use a stiff brissled interior brush, or leather brush and lightly massage the leather, wipe away with a cotton or microfiber towel. Repeat this process for all leather, until it looks new again. Then apply small amounts of the Condition using a foam applicator or cotton towel.

If for some reason you can't get this, or you want to try something you have now, Rubbing Alcohol almost always works, but is powerful.

If you have any other detailing questions, feel free to email or AIM me:

AIM: Megafast13

email: megafast13@hotmail.com
Old 10-23-10, 04:13 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the same exact problem with my '99 Lincoln Town Car with white leather. Used Westleys bleach white for whitewalls and it took it off without a problem or ruining the leather. On the Lexus leather, use a very small amount, maybe a q-tip in a small area.
Old 10-23-10, 04:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Is this more a problem of certain jeans/colors discoloring the leather - Or the leather not holding up?

I've had light color leather in the last 3 cars, wear jeans (basic pre-washed Levis) almost of the time and not had a problem.
Old 10-23-10, 05:10 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't have anything to do with a certain type, color, or brand of leather. It is simply caused by the friction of the other materials rubbing against it and the dyes transfer.

A lot of today's designer jeans have a lot of dyes for darkness and such that transfer easily.

I don't recommend using Wesley's Bleche White for anything but tires. You aren't even supposed to let it touch your own skin, or inhale it. That is one of the most powerful degreasers on the market.
Old 10-23-10, 05:39 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Worked on the Town Car's white leather though. Did not lift the leather color / dye. Lexus is another story as it is softer. Maybe worth a try.
Old 10-23-10, 06:23 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

My black belt always leaves a mark on the leather that I clean off with Leatherique. Leatherique is used to clean and recondition Rolls Royce leather that was not taken care of. Never had a problem with black leather but the beige and light grey I have to clean off my black belt mark.
Old 10-26-10, 01:09 PM
Copguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Megafast13
A lot of times, "leather" cleaners are too weak, I strongly recommend Meguiars Products. I have my own detailing business and I know how leather can be, especially delicate Lexus type. If you were in Ohio I could get that looking new for you but here is what I recommend you purchase:

Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner Plus
Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Conditioner

Get a spray bottle and dilute APC+ to 10:1 or 4:1 and liberally spray on leather surface, use a stiff brissled interior brush, or leather brush and lightly massage the leather, wipe away with a cotton or microfiber towel. Repeat this process for all leather, until it looks new again. Then apply small amounts of the Condition using a foam applicator or cotton towel.

If for some reason you can't get this, or you want to try something you have now, Rubbing Alcohol almost always works, but is powerful.

If you have any other detailing questions, feel free to email or AIM me:

AIM: Megafast13

email: megafast13@hotmail.com
When using the Meguiar's leather conditioner gel, is it a problem with the small holes in the seat for the cooled seat? Will the gel get caught up in the holes?
Old 10-26-10, 02:44 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Regular Woolite concentrate diluted 6:1 with water works well for me and will not harm the leather. I have a lite gray interior and frquently get these jean stains and the Woolite takes care of it.
Old 10-26-10, 04:13 PM
kewl
Rookie

Some excellent suggestions!! I shall give some a try and let you know the results. I had not thought of the belt being the problem, but I do often wear a black belt and I'll bet that's exactly what I'm seeing. On close inspection with the eye loop what I am seeing is black in color.

Thanks to you all for the feedback.
Old 10-29-10, 06:22 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should not have waited until it got this bad to tackle the problem. If you kept up with detailing the car, which includes cleaning/conditioning the leather, this would not have happened.
Old 10-29-10, 07:54 PM
kewl
Rookie

Originally Posted by miniz
You should not have waited until it got this bad to tackle the problem. If you kept up with detailing the car, which includes cleaning/conditioning the leather, this would not have happened.
Well now isn't that a bit of useful information....I'm sure that bit of useful input will, by itself, cause the leather to come clean. Thanks...
Old 10-29-10, 08:23 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kewl
Well now isn't that a bit of useful information....I'm sure that bit of useful input will, by itself, cause the leather to come clean. Thanks...
Well, its like asking something like 'I didn't change my oil for 37k miles and now my engine is full of sludge and I can't get it out....what should I do?..... Its called taking care of your car. Something you clearly failed at in this case.

There is a good chance that you will have to re-dye the leather to return it to new/uniform color. If you try to use an aggressive stripping method, it will remove the protective coating that is on top of the leather. This will allow the leather to stain even more easily in the future.
Old 10-30-10, 07:56 PM
Humaira
Driver School Candidate

If your car is still under warranty, you can take it to the dealer and let them them re-dye the seats. Dealer in Atlanta re-dyed my RX seats twice when it was under warranty. Whatever problem your car has in the warranty period, Lexus has to cover it. So, go for it.

Quick Reply: Leather Discoloration