ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Ran into curb on ice how bad will this set me back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 01:15 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ran into curb on ice how bad will this set me back?

Car has like 3,000 miles slid into curb/sewer opening. Lots of wheel rash and fender issues. Fender popped from vibration of wheel hitting curb. Will it snap back in easily or will it need new clips, any thoughts? Thanks

http://family.webshots.com/photo/241...80221782rDKNpn

Last edited by dotbowels; 11-30-10 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-30-10, 01:53 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

It looks like the bumper cover may be broken which will cost maybe $600 or more most of which is for labor and painting. Plus the wheel which can either be replaced or refinished. If you hit the curb that hard probably should do an allignment as well. Sorry for your misfortune - I don't miss driving on ice and snow. Hard to get throuigh a winter without something like this happening.

Dave Mac
Old 11-30-10, 02:23 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Its hard to tell, from the pictures. You might be able to get new clips and try that. Might look into just putting some screws to hold it.
I just had the rear inner fender off of the SC and your front bumper cover looks like the same setup. There is a clip with a screw in it to hold it. Look at the other side and see what is there and then decide. The back looks broken might use the new screw trick there.
Old 11-30-10, 03:45 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You will need a new wheel, possibly a number bumper cover (can't tell from photo), possibly a new tire (again, can't tell), an alignment and an inspection of the undercarriage for any other damage. You could have bent the tie rods, or the steering rack or something like that. Hopefully you didn't bend the steering rack, because that will be very expensive to replace. Bring it to a body shop and a mechanic with an alignment machine. Get them to look at it and see what they think.
If your deductible is high, then pay cash for the repair. This could show up on CarFax/Autocheck as an accident and de-value the car by at least 10%.
Old 12-01-10, 10:15 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Took car to friend's son's body shop. He said he can replace clips, and screws, add a little glue and get car back to looking good, He will also refinish the underside that got beat up. I am going to work on the wheel next. The car drives straight but I will have alignment checked.

The orange skid light is staying on. I tried pushing the off button and it stays on. Maybe Lexus can reset it after I get everything done next week. I hope thats all it is.

I'm so angry with myself Thanks sor suggestions and support. Dorothy
Old 12-01-10, 12:31 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You shouldn't be too angry with yourself. Stuff happens!! Where there are train tracks you will have train wrecks. At least you weren't hurt and your car doesn't sound like it's terminal. In a few days you'll forget all about it. And your car will be as new.
Old 12-01-10, 05:09 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dotbowels
Took car to friend's son's body shop. He said he can replace clips, and screws, add a little glue and get car back to looking good, He will also refinish the underside that got beat up. I am going to work on the wheel next. The car drives straight but I will have alignment checked.

The orange skid light is staying on. I tried pushing the off button and it stays on. Maybe Lexus can reset it after I get everything done next week. I hope thats all it is.

I'm so angry with myself Thanks sor suggestions and support. Dorothy
The orange skid light is staying on. I tried pushing the off button and it stays on. You think that could be major? Thanks again. Dorothy
Old 12-01-10, 05:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Not sure. Did you look in the owners manual to see if there was any info on resetting it, or if it is something that might immediate attention? Good luck...
Old 12-01-10, 05:58 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Not sure. Did you look in the owners manual to see if there was any info on resetting it, or if it is something that might immediate attention? Good luck...
Called dealer and they said push the off button left of the steering wheel. When I told them that didn't work, they said bring it in. I'll end up doing it I guess after i fix the bumper etc Thanks Dorothy
Old 12-01-10, 07:36 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Keep this in mind re. refinishing the front bumper. The only way Lexus recommends this be done is to remove the bumper and do the refinish then replace. I tried shortcutting this several years ago for a real minor mark on the rear bumper and got a real nice looking job for about $100. But several months later the clear coat started peeling back from the edges each time I washed the car. In kind of a strange sequence of events my dealer ended up having the car repaired the Lexus recommended way for $650 and the problem was solved.

If your car drives real good there probably isn't much else wrong but I would have the alignment checked once the wheel is repaired or replaced.

Dave Mac
Old 12-01-10, 07:43 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

And just one more thought - when they repair or replace the wheel be sure you advise them what happened and make sure they check the tire real well for damage too. As I mentioned earlier I've spent some time in the midwest and banged a few curbs in the winter and recall hidden damage to tires.

Dave Mac
Old 12-02-10, 09:09 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Keep this in mind re. refinishing the front bumper. The only way Lexus recommends this be done is to remove the bumper and do the refinish then replace. I tried shortcutting this several years ago for a real minor mark on the rear bumper and got a real nice looking job for about $100. But several months later the clear coat started peeling back from the edges each time I washed the car. In kind of a strange sequence of events my dealer ended up having the car repaired the Lexus recommended way for $650 and the problem was solved.

If your car drives real good there probably isn't much else wrong but I would have the alignment checked once the wheel is repaired or replaced.

Dave Mac
"the clear coat started peeling back from the edges each time I washed the car."

Thanks for your assistance. The peeling is kind of interesting. Did it peel because they didn't get right to the edge while it was still on the car? Thanks Dorothy
Old 12-02-10, 01:15 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

The clearcoat started to peel because it got to the edge but did not wrap around the edge as it would have done if the bumper was removed from the car when painted. I think this actually happened on two cars that I had bumpers refinished on - one a Lexus and the other a Camry. I had noticed in the Lexus bodyshop a lot of bumpers being painted before installation and thought that would lead to a lot of new damage during installation but I eventually figures out why it is done that way.

You would of course lessen the risk of this happening by handwashing and using great care near the bumper edges. I think it is usually the high pressure of some washings that causes the problem.

I haven't asked but I am assuming that this repair is not being paid for by your insurance. It is probably right in the range of being something you are better off paying for yourself. And in that light you might also be cautioned about getting an estimate from the Lexus body shop which I am pretty sure would call for a new bumper cover. I had an Infiniti a few years back with a very small but through the paint scratch on one door. I didn't like it so got an estimate one day. The body shop said the only way they could repair it was to paint the whole side of the car for about $3,000. When I traded the car in on another Lexus some time later the CarFax came back showing "unrepaired body damage". I showed them the still "unrepaired" area and we moved on with the deal.

Dave Mac
Old 12-02-10, 01:32 PM
Diogenes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SteadyEddie's screw trick may work for a while. I'd check the alignment now but before I spent significant money on body work I'd wait until the spring thaw. You might need other work done by then.
Old 12-02-10, 02:26 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

With only 3,000 miles your dealer could warranty the alignment for you if he wants to. Just say the car doesn't handle very well and pulls to the right and ask that they check the alignment. I think they can warranty alignments for 12,000 miles. Last time I had an alignment done it was well over $100.

Dave Mac

Quick Reply: Ran into curb on ice how bad will this set me back?