Solution for Miserable Overhead Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-11, 05:34 PM
MonAndrew7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution for Miserable Overhead Lighting

Folks,

I've really had it with the overhead light arrangement on the 2007-2009 ES350's. I don't understand how a $40k car has less practical interior lighting than my 1984 Ford Tempo. After driving a 2010 loaner, I thought I had a pretty slick solution: I proceeded to buy a used 2010 overhead Console.

The wiring harness and plug is IDENTICAL and the console size is exact. But after plugging it in, only one thing works (the garage door opener LED.) The overhead lights do not work and the moonroof switches don't function. So I reinstalled my wholly inadequate 2007 console and it works as before. But after a few more months night driving, spilling drinks and dropping change at the toll booth, I have reached my wits' end.

Is there any way I can wire this thing up? Wouldn't it be great if there was some $13 Metra harness converter or whatnot? Below are several pics, one of the mounted 2007 Console and three of the 2010 Console. The back and sides are exactly the same and the plug is identical, but obviously all the wires in the plug are in the "wrong" place......

If this works, this could be a simple upgrade for your pre-2010 cars and I'd be happy to post my install pics. Many thanks.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails Solution for Miserable Overhead Lighting-lexus-2007-es350-light-console-1.jpg   Solution for Miserable Overhead Lighting-lexus-2010-es350-light-console-1.jpg   Solution for Miserable Overhead Lighting-lexus-2010-es350-light-console-3.jpg   Solution for Miserable Overhead Lighting-lexus-2010-es350-light-console-4.jpg  
Old 01-23-11, 06:28 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much did that 2010 overhead console set you back? Or did you steal it from the loaner?

I think Lexus was going for the dimly lit dance club ambiance with the lighting in the 2007 ES 350.
Old 01-24-11, 05:13 AM
2008ES
Rookie

The newer one does look nice, although the color appears to be slightly mismatched with the headliner. The contrasting buttons should be easier to find in dim light, although I would have preferred backlights similar to other text labels in the car.

I know it's not a perfect solution, but if you leave the little door on the visor mirror open, you can just swing the visor down whenever you're looking for toll booth change, etc. The light behind there is fairly bright, and it shuts off like a refrigerator light when you flip the visor back up.
Old 01-24-11, 06:21 AM
MonAndrew7
Driver School Candidate

I didn't steal it from the loaner, although the thought did occur to me. It was like $90 on eBay from one of those car-breaker sellers.

The problem with the vanity-light solution is it's plenty bright, but it's right in your eyes and it only comes on with the visor straight down which obscures the road. If you put the visor all the way forward, the light shuts off again.

So anyone know how to hack this plug? If I could get the right signals to the right pins, this would work like a charm.

Andrew
Old 01-24-11, 09:45 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MonAndrew7

So anyone know how to hack this plug? If I could get the right signals to the right pins, this would work like a charm.

Andrew
Its really a matter of figuring out the pin-out of both connectors. Once you figure out the ground, you might be able to figure out what terminal is for which light by applying a 12V source one pin at a time.

Also would need to do the same for the original part.

The wires can probably be rearranged on the plastic plug by removing them from the back. The wires just have a metal end crimped on that clicks into the plastic plug. Using a tiny screwdriver you should be able to release them and then pop them into the appropriate location.

Most good service manuals provide electrical diagrams - it might even be worth asking the service department if they have this info. Maybe they'll print off a copy of each one for ya... they worst they could say is no!

Good luck.....
Old 01-24-11, 10:18 AM
judd986S
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it. let us know how it works out. I may just pick one of those up too
Those pins could be adjusted with no problem and you would be ready to go.
Old 01-24-11, 12:24 PM
tardorange
Driver

Why not get new leds for the 07 assembly? Swap out the bulbs for some 4-6SMD led bulbs and it will be MUCH brighter.
Old 01-24-11, 09:11 PM
MonAndrew7
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone recognize those plugs? Where could I get a male and female set? Then I could build an adapter-harness. That would be easy to share.

Andrew
Old 01-28-11, 12:57 PM
safford197
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is there's a small micro chip in that sub assembly. Try disconnecting fuses that relate to convenience items so it'll reset the entire convenience system that should force it to read the new sub assembly. If you can't find a fuse you can reset the entire system by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes. This will however reset everything along with the emissions systems - no big deal, car may run rough first couple starts but it'll be fine after it re-learns it's normal settings.
Old 01-28-11, 02:10 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking at this 2008 wiring diagram it looks to be pretty straightforward. I would check to see if the brown, black, and red wires are in the correct locations on the 2010 plug as those are responsible for the Illumination signal, ground, and power in that order. If you can get a similar diagram for the 2010 you should be able to figure it out. Check out page 5 in the attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
il.pdf (172.1 KB, 647 views)
Old 03-09-11, 08:36 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm interested in the "Swap out the bulbs for some 4-6SMD led bulbs" approach. Any tips on how to remove the console?
Old 03-12-11, 02:05 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

hey if u ever figure out how to make it work let us know with a DIY, sorry i can't help much, not so great with electronic/wiring but i would love to do this too
Old 03-12-11, 02:08 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

the only other thing besides this i want to change is the steering wheel controls..maybe just swap out the whole steering wheel for a '10 ebay salvaged car one
Old 03-13-11, 05:56 PM
Derekc294
Driver School Candidate

My 2010 definitely has much better lighting than my uncles he complains about it and if he saw this he would be wanting to swap.. haha
Old 03-29-11, 01:44 PM
Milliken
Driver School Candidate

I suspect that there is no microchip inside the overhead console as command for dimming or shutting the light source should come from the central computer control board. In other words, the console gets the 12V and routes to those bulbs via the on/off switch in a simple manner. If you have a volt-meter you can measure at the connector pins which one is ground (as suggested earlier by madmax96) and the 12V pin. As for the Homelink, I would think it is a module getting 12V all the time and transmits the code within the console - this should be simple to locate.

Time and patience is all it takes to find out the truth. However, be careful NOT to burn out the main CPU board that the connector goes to. It can be costly to replace. Hope yours is still under factory warranty!!

Yes, if I can get one of these 2010 console I would love to replace mine as well so I can read comfortably waiting for kids all the time.

Quick Reply: Solution for Miserable Overhead Lighting