ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Used 2007 ES 350 vs Brand New 2011 Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 05:46 PM
btrfly12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 2007 ES 350 vs Brand New 2011 Sonata

Which would you do? Sonata is getting rave reviews. While Hyundai doesn't always mean luxurious, they certainly build quality, low maintenance vehicles.

Thoughts?
Old 01-31-11, 05:56 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Yes, they are getting very good reviews but you won't achieve the same status with the Sonata. I read the reviews and think I should be more open meinded but continue to stay with Lexus.

Dave Mac
Old 01-31-11, 06:04 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Completely different class of vehicles. But if you gave them both to me, i would chose the ES.
Old 01-31-11, 06:23 PM
btrfly12
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I realize they are different class. I know there's a certain cache involved with a Lexus. But from a reliability standpoint, a 2007 with tons of miles vs a brand new car is a hard choice considering the rave reviews.

Other than a status symbol, I'm afraid I don't hear enough good things about an '07 ES 350.
Old 01-31-11, 06:59 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Strictly a personal choice. Different cars. Both have pros and cons. It's your $$'s go with what's right for you.

Maybe a little off topic, but a couple of weeks ago while shopping for a daily driver I was in a Kia dealership. IMO the styling of their Optima, a cousin of the Sonata, is better than the Sonata. Very stylish and not so swoopy. It probably costs a little less and has the same warranty etc.

Last edited by LexBob2; 01-31-11 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-31-11, 10:37 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by btrfly12
Yeah, I realize they are different class. I know there's a certain cache involved with a Lexus. But from a reliability standpoint, a 2007 with tons of miles vs a brand new car is a hard choice considering the rave reviews.

Other than a status symbol, I'm afraid I don't hear enough good things about an '07 ES 350.
If you're looking for reliability, go with the Lexus. Remember that a Lexus is a Toyota product, meaning that with proper care and regular maintenance, this car will run nearly forever with few issues.

I know Hyundai is getting better in reliability, but it still can't stand up to the proven reliability of Lexus/Toyota.
Old 02-01-11, 05:35 AM
Jimbo68
Rookie

Are you kidding?? No contest. Go with the Sonata. New car. Best warranty on earth. Highest owner satisfaction of any car, lexus included. Drive it, if you like it, go for it.
Old 02-01-11, 11:52 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it's a choice of new vs. used. Hyundai is not in the same class as a Lexus as has been mentioned more than once. My wife has a 05 Lexus and I would probably take it over many new cars because of it's build quality and creature comforts. A shiny new car is a big enticement I'm not persuaded by Hyundai, but if you're looking for new...never 'lived in, then the choice should be easy.
Old 02-02-11, 10:28 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Maybe a little off topic, but a couple of weeks ago while shopping for a daily driver I was in a Kia dealership. IMO the styling of their Optima, a cousin of the Sonata, is better than the Sonata. Very stylish and not so swoopy. It probably costs a little less and has the same warranty etc.
+1

This one is not on your list, but you should really consider it. My dad bought a '11 Sonata, but when he saw the Optima at the car show, he really wished he had gotten it instead.
Old 02-02-11, 12:22 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

I test drove a Sonata. The interior just seemed cheap to me. Cheap plastic. I tapped on the side of the center console, and it seemed like it was barely holding on.
Old 02-02-11, 01:25 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

07 ES with ton of miles? No thanks! Lexus/Toyota isn't what they used to be in the past plus they're boring as hell to drive. I agree Kia optima look stunning for the price and look better than sonata. With a new sonata or whatever new car you choose you get a new car plus warranty for many years. If I were you I'd choose optima turbo and add some mods to it lol.
Old 02-02-11, 03:48 PM
frankbcnt
Driver

are you guys kidding me? hyundai falls apart! A guy I work with has owner a sonata, santa fe, and something else. I know other people with sonatas and accents, ect. Every one of them were in the shop every other month for STUPID little things like windows motors, plastic panels falling off, plastic pieces breaking, windows molding comming off, the antenna rubber falling off . After a few years the paint looks dull and starts drying up. Only good thing about them is the drive-train because its Mitsubishi it doesnt fail. The whole rest of the car WILL. Its GARBAGE! Theres a reason why Lexus can sell a 3 yr old car certified because they LAST dont be fooled theres a clear choice. I dont care why Hyundai says about their quality now I would only buy one if price was the selling factor but have you seen the prices on Hyundai anymore? They are trying to compete with Toyota and Honda now.
Old 02-02-11, 04:06 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by btrfly12
Which would you do? Sonata is getting rave reviews. While Hyundai doesn't always mean luxurious, they certainly build quality, low maintenance vehicles.

Thoughts?

If you gota think about it then get the Sonata.
Old 02-02-11, 07:26 PM
Tazzman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Yes, they are getting very good reviews but you won't achieve the same status with the Sonata. I read the reviews and think I should be more open meinded but continue to stay with Lexus.

Dave Mac
I just purchased a 11 ES, What is this status I should look for?
Old 02-02-11, 07:46 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Tazzman
I just purchased a 11 ES, What is this status I should look for?
Maybe something in the mail?

Quick Reply: Used 2007 ES 350 vs Brand New 2011 Sonata