ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Do these recommended service items seem reasonable??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-11, 11:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

It's really hard to say why the two are different. You have different manufacturers who probably have different approaches to these recommended preventive maintenace services.

Some of the differences are no doubt profit motivated - Different types of vehicles - Different buyers - Different demographics - Different buyer priorities.

The good part is they are recommended services and owners can opt out of them if they choose.
Old 02-14-11, 12:59 AM
RY2K
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the brake fluid service is just the old fluid getting sucked out of the reservoir and new fluid being put in, they should really be bled to flush it properly which the dealer won't do

if your power steering fluid doesn't look burnt or really dark you shouldn't change it

you might be able to use 3.5 07+ camry brake pads as long as the part number is the same as the ES

most of the stuff you can do yourself if you are mechanically inclined
Old 02-14-11, 08:33 AM
ezzrider
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RY2K
the brake fluid service is just the old fluid getting sucked out of the reservoir and new fluid being put in, they should really be bled to flush it properly which the dealer won't do

if your power steering fluid doesn't look burnt or really dark you shouldn't change it

you might be able to use 3.5 07+ camry brake pads as long as the part number is the same as the ES

most of the stuff you can do yourself if you are mechanically inclined
Ya got to be kidding? You really think for $139.95 all the dealer does is suck the brake fluid out of the reservoir and but in new fluid? Dang!!! I can do that for the price of a can of brake fluid. I can purchase online the Lexus OEM front brake pads for $45 a set. My son knows how to replace the pads. If the rotor looks bad I will either replace them with Lexus OEM rotors (again ordered over the net for around $85 per rotor I think) or have them turned. The dealer wanted $280 to fix the front brakes and I know that did not include new rotors.
Old 02-17-11, 06:10 PM
RY2K
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ezzrider
Ya got to be kidding? You really think for $139.95 all the dealer does is suck the brake fluid out of the reservoir and but in new fluid? Dang!!! I can do that for the price of a can of brake fluid. I can purchase online the Lexus OEM front brake pads for $45 a set. My son knows how to replace the pads. If the rotor looks bad I will either replace them with Lexus OEM rotors (again ordered over the net for around $85 per rotor I think) or have them turned. The dealer wanted $280 to fix the front brakes and I know that did not include new rotors.
I work at a toyta dealer man, and I see guys selling brake flushes all the time
they suck out all the old fluid and put in new fluid, they do it a couple of times till it looks totally clean

i would recommend getting brembo replacement rotors from tirerack.com
$70 each
i got them for my GS300 with factory pads and they're great
my friends father put them on his GS400 and he is very happy, with stock pads as well

if your son can change the brakes thats great

we charge 3 hours labor for fronts to resurface rotors and change pads at my job
its a money maker for techs

you can cut rotors once, but I always replace mine and i would recommend you to do that as well
Old 02-17-11, 07:50 PM
J13
Driver School Candidate

If you can have your son replace the pads, do that.

I just did the fronts on mine last weekend and they were the easiest I've ever done (15 minutes a side). Remove 2 bolts, swing off the caliper, move a couple clips and springs to the new pads, compress the piston in the caliper and bolt it back on.

Changing the oil took me longer.
Old 02-18-11, 09:26 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by J13
If you can have your son replace the pads, do that.

I just did the fronts on mine last weekend and they were the easiest I've ever done (15 minutes a side). Remove 2 bolts, swing off the caliper, move a couple clips and springs to the new pads, compress the piston in the caliper and bolt it back on.
I absolutely agree with J13 here. If you can turn a wrench you can change your brake pads without any problem.
Old 03-05-11, 11:17 PM
ezzrider
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone.
Old 03-06-11, 08:33 AM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In MHO I feel the primary purpose of having this type service completed is to maintain its factory warranty status. Since your vehicle is out of warranty (48 mos or 50,000 miles) unless you have the extended factory warranty do what your gut feeling tells you. I have the extended platinum warranty on mine so needless to say I comply with Lexus recommended services but Toyota completes most of it. I allowed Lexus to do the 30K but changed all the filters myself which I bought from NAPA auto parts and ordered wiper blade refills from Sewell Lexus. Cost savings were substantial. Good Luck and happy motoring.
Old 03-10-11, 01:12 PM
maxnix
Driver

One needs to understand that brake fluid is hygroscopic and in combination with H2O will form an acid. This is not good for rubber seals and lines, nor is it good when the brake fluid boils from the lowered boiling point.

I think the Ford Truck example cited above shows a deficiency in Ford scheduled maintenance rather than an example of a "tough build." Remember, after the initial warranty period, which is all the OEM is concerned the vehicle survives, the repairs are on the owner's dime. Extended warranties by OEM just put that point a little farther out.

All hydraulic fluids wear out, and as with anything mechanical it is always best to have fresh undegraded fluids and fresh clean filters. An owner's tolerance for preventive maintenance expenses correlates well with how long that owner expects to keep his vehicle performing near as new as possible. Periodic PS and AT mechanical fluid exchanges will help greatly, along with new filters where applicable. Also, auxiliary may help stabilize temperature spikes which will also extend fluid life, along with use of the correct synthetic fluids.
Old 03-13-11, 06:08 PM
Derekc294
Driver School Candidate

You have to know someone who has a decent set of tools and mechanical knowledge. Buy some beer and pizza and do work!
Old 03-13-11, 07:15 PM
ezzrider
Driver School Candidate

Default Most of the "suggested items" just bs

I changed out the cabin and engine air filters myself at a great savings. The dealer stated these MUST be changed out. Neither filter was all that dirty and definately did NOT need to be replaced. Those of you that want to have the dealers take all your money go ahead but I will just use common sense.