ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil Pan Capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-11, 11:10 AM
Trick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Capacity?

I'm new to the ES350 and was wanting to know what the engine's oil pan capacity is???? Just the pan when changing the oil, not the entire system.

I see the amsoil website says the car has a capacity of 6.5 w/ filter/ I presume that means the entire system w/ lines and all. BTW: the Amsoil site has a reference look-up for individual cars. It specifies the proper type of fluid needed and shows their comparison upgrade. It also lists capacities and torque specs for several fluid systems. Look up your cars and print the sheets as a reference manual.

I read all of the old posts and didn't find the info needed. For the record I also confirmed the ES350 transmission requires the Toyota WS-type fluid.
Old 02-23-11, 02:12 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I found the info in my owners manual.
Old 02-24-11, 03:34 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, it's in the manual. A gravity drain and refill with a new filter is something like 6.2 quarts.

The transmission is sealed and there is no tranny fluid replacement schedule.
Old 02-25-11, 03:04 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

I change my own oil and filter on my '08, and after letting the oil drain for about 30 minutes, it generally takes anywhere between 5.3 to 5.7 quarts to fill it up near the full mark on the dipstick.
Old 02-27-11, 03:35 PM
Trick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Akachan LS
I change my own oil and filter on my '08, and after letting the oil drain for about 30 minutes, it generally takes anywhere between 5.3 to 5.7 quarts to fill it up near the full mark on the dipstick.
Thank You for the useful reply!
Old 03-05-11, 02:51 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Originally Posted by Trick
Thank You for the useful reply!
Glad I could be of some help. Enjoy the car!
Old 03-05-11, 06:08 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Interesting so you are saying that the OM and the factory tech's are wrong. I hope you send a note to Lexus so they can correct the manuals.
Old 03-07-11, 03:37 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Interesting so you are saying that the OM and the factory tech's are wrong. I hope you send a note to Lexus so they can correct the manuals.
I looked at the maual this afternoon. It says 6.4 quarts when draining the pan and changing the filter. I do not believe I that I have ever put in over 5.7 quarts of oil without overfilling it. This is after letting the oil drain while it is hot, and after having driven the car and getting the engine to operating temperature.
Old 05-18-11, 03:45 PM
durrrr
Driver School Candidate

I looked at the maual this afternoon. It says 6.4 quarts when draining the pan and changing the filter. I do not believe I that I have ever put in over 5.7 quarts of oil without overfilling it. This is after letting the oil drain while it is hot, and after having driven the car and getting the engine to operating temperature.
I'm having some issues with my oil levels on my 08 ES350. My manual says 6.4 quarts but when I put in 6+ quarts, the oil level goes way over the full mark on the dipstick.

Could the manual be wrong?

What would happen if there is extra oil? bad for engine I assume.

Should I drain some oil to get the level to be between the 2 marks on the dipstick?

I even bought an OEM dipstick because I thought there was small change the dipstick was not the right one (I bought the car used). The new OEM dipstick was exactly the same, so that killed that theory.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-11, 11:08 PM
TechLFA003
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I done hundreds OLF on ES350. Always put in 6.5qts and it'll read full(Top Dot) on the dip stick. Here are few things could cause false reading.
1. Did you let it run for fews second. Then shut it of and wait for a min. Before you check it? Oil filter hold some oil too......
2. Is you car on a level ground? Or, off the wheel rams?
3. Do your's have a dent on your oil pan? It seat kinda low. Sometime parking spot curb could hit/dent it.
Old 05-19-11, 06:50 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

I do it myself too & put in 1/2 qt. less the suggested. I drive it for a few days then check it in the morning before I start it & add what is needed.
Has worked for 40 years except now I use synthetic oil so that cuts down on changes.
Old 05-19-11, 07:33 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,338 Posts

IMHO, you guys are making much to much of this. A half quart up or down, so what? When I change I put in 6 quarts and a new filter. I don't even check the dipstick, though I do check it between oil changes, and all is fine. When I drain, I get back about 5 and 3/4 quarts, so no issues that I can see. Again, IMO, an oil change shouldn't be as completed as you guys are making it out to be. Oh, I've been changing my own oil for close to fifty years now, yep, I'm 72 years old. I still use Vaseline to lube the rubber gaskets, not oil. In the old days everyone used vaseline

Lou
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (10-11-17)
Old 05-19-11, 02:28 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

If I understand from years past if you put in too much oil you could blow out seals. I know this for sure on a tranny but not too sure about an engine. I have heard if it is overfilled it could cause problems in foaming.
Old 05-19-11, 03:01 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE I have heard if it is overfilled it could cause problems in foaming.[/QUOTE] Jackpot! But I don't how much you have to overfill it to cause the oil to foam.
Old 05-20-11, 06:10 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
[QUOTE I have heard if it is overfilled it could cause problems in foaming.
Jackpot! But I don't how much you have to overfill it to cause the oil to foam.[/QUOTE]

Greater then 1 qt. will start causing foaming problems with a wet sump engine.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Capacity?