ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2010 ES350 Exterior Mirrors Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11 | 03:55 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Default 2010 ES350 Exterior Mirrors Question

First of all hit the 10K miles on my car today loving it.

When I put the car in reverse to backout of the garage my 2 exterior mirrors tilt way downward, while I'm backing up. As soon as I put the car back in drive both mirrors go back up. Is that normal?

I'm going in for oil change next week and thought I'd ask before I go im. Thanks Dorothy
Old 03-04-11 | 03:59 PM
Jimbo68
Rookie

It is normal. That feature is to assist you when parallel parking to allow you to see the curb. If you do not want the mirrors to tilt just set the selector to either the right or left mirror. By the way, if you want to save some money on an oil change, go to a Toyota dealer. It's about half the price.
Old 03-04-11 | 04:03 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

I find that distracting in most cases too but you can turn it off by placing the Right - Left selector right in the middle (straight up) of the two positions. As long as it is in either of the other two positons the mirrors will tilt when the car is put in reverse.

Glad you still like the car - not surprised though, they are great cars.

Dave Mac
Old 03-04-11 | 05:31 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Jimbo68
It is normal. That feature is to assist you when parallel parking to allow you to see the curb. If you do not want the mirrors to tilt just set the selector to either the right or left mirror. By the way, if you want to save some money on an oil change, go to a Toyota dealer. It's about half the price.
Thanks to you & Dave for mirror answer. Do you get all of your Lexus service work done at Toyota? Does everyone agree with this practice? Is there any downside to having Toyota do service work? Thanks Dorothy
Old 03-04-11 | 07:02 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

I buy my parts from Toyota for my ES350 and get maintenance from my own garagist.
Old 03-04-11 | 08:59 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

I only take my Lexus to my dealer for service, trying to maintain a relationship in the unlikely event that it will be needed. I inquired at the Toyota dealership once and they really weren't interested in doing anything - said they didn't have the parts list etc. By then I had been spoiled by the Lexus service experience and never tried them again. My car is a 36 mo. lease and I drive about 12K a year so the only service I usually have is oil changes every 5K.

Dave Mac
Old 03-07-11 | 04:26 AM
Jimbo68
Rookie

They are all Toyota parts. Your ES350 is mechanically identical to the Camry. Nothing special about Lexus service except the price.
Old 03-07-11 | 10:16 AM
2008ES
Rookie

Originally Posted by dotbowels
Thanks to you & Dave for mirror answer. Do you get all of your Lexus service work done at Toyota? Does everyone agree with this practice? Is there any downside to having Toyota do service work? Thanks Dorothy

Lexus service all the way for me. I have also been spoiled by their service practices and hope I never again have to set foot in my Toyota dealership. It's like night and day. The local Toyota service department tries to see just how little they can get away with doing, and how miserable they can make you, while my Lexus dealership (so far) has gone way above and beyond on everything they have done for me. I had always heard about the Lexus owner experience and apparently it's for real.
Old 04-01-11 | 09:56 PM
russellh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dotbowels
There's a really BIG down side, Dorothy. All work performed on you Lexus at a Lexus authorized dealership is placed in a central computer system accessible by any other Lexus dealer, no matter where you drive in the USA, Canada. Any questions concerning warranty work, oil changes, exactly what was done, all can be accessed by any other Lexus dealership, but NOT by a Toyota dealership. This was first centralized computer record system in the world, allowing every authorized dealer (and Lexus headquarters) to access your car's maintenance, repair and any problem history. Take your car to a Lexus dealership.
Old 04-01-11 | 10:00 PM
russellh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2008ES
Lexus service all the way for me. I have also been spoiled by their service practices and hope I never again have to set foot in my Toyota dealership. It's like night and day. The local Toyota service department tries to see just how little they can get away with doing, and how miserable they can make you, while my Lexus dealership (so far) has gone way above and beyond on everything they have done for me. I had always heard about the Lexus owner experience and apparently it's for real.
And NO power seat cushion extender on the driver's seat (I couldn't get by without one on long drives because of back pain).
Old 04-02-11 | 05:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by russellh
There's a really BIG down side, Dorothy. All work performed on you Lexus at a Lexus authorized dealership is placed in a central computer system accessible by any other Lexus dealer, no matter where you drive in the USA, Canada. Any questions concerning warranty work, oil changes, exactly what was done, all can be accessed by any other Lexus dealership, but NOT by a Toyota dealership. This was first centralized computer record system in the world, allowing every authorized dealer (and Lexus headquarters) to access your car's maintenance, repair and any problem history. Take your car to a Lexus dealership.
Owners can also go online and add service work to the car's Service History. You first register your car at lexus.com and then will have access to the history.
Old 04-03-11 | 03:39 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2008ES
dont expect that level of service if you ever plan to move to hawaii..servco lexus sucks since they are the monopoly on the island for all things lexus and toyota