ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Radiator Flush

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 07:51 PM
safford197
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator Flush

Has anyone performed a Radiator Flush on their ES350?

My fluid sits just below the "low" line on the overflow reservoir and I was thinking after four years why not treat the ES to a Radiator Flush.

I tried searching the ES forum for any DIYs but couldn't find one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-17-11, 12:01 PM
AlGator
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea. The cooling system is one of the most neglected vehicle maintenance areas.
Old 04-17-11, 08:39 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when do we need to do this maintenance ?
Old 04-18-11, 09:01 AM
safford197
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueshark
when do we need to do this maintenance ?
I pulled out the manual to find the exact answer.

The warranty and services guide booklet that came in the owner's manual pack states initial replacement is at 120 months or 100K miles and 50K miles thereafter. However, every 15K miles or 18 months you're supposed to check the level and top off if necessary with Genuine Toyota Super Long-Life coolant.

I had read the manual before but I didn't want to wait as long as the mfg suggest you can possibly wait. Just wondering if anyone has seen a DIY somewhere?
Old 08-02-15, 01:40 PM
thoevelk
Driver School Candidate

Default es350 radiator flush

car is a 2007 es350 with 44k miles.
radiator fluid was looking brown when i took the cap off and checked the fluid level so i decided to do a flush myself. when i drained the fluid it looked red, not brownish, so it may have been good for a while longer, not sure. i flushed system while hot and running 4 times with water from hose. you have to get the car hot so the thermostat opens up and drains the block of radiator fluid. i also started the car and let it run each time i flushed, and made sure temp was up to about half way on gauge. then replaced with PRESTONE 50/50 COOLANT, not toyota fluid. hopefully my car will not die a premature death for not using toyota fluid. only time will tell. easy job, just remove flush plug at bottom middle of radiator.
Old 08-05-15, 06:02 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by thoevelk
radiator fluid was looking brown when i took the cap off and checked the fluid level so i decided to do a flush myself. when i drained the fluid it looked red, not brownish, so it may have been good for a while longer, not sure. i flushed system while hot and running 4 times with water from hose. you have to get the car hot so the thermostat opens up and drains the block of radiator fluid. i also started the car and let it run each time i flushed, and made sure temp was up to about half way on gauge. then replaced with PRESTONE 50/50 COOLANT, not toyota fluid. hopefully my car will not die a premature death for not using toyota fluid. only time will tell. easy job, just remove flush plug at bottom middle of radiator.

Toyota anti freeze is the same as Prestone DEX-COOL which is designed for aluminium engines and cooling systems. I have not investigated if there is a problem using Prestone green in the system. Any of the similar types of anti freeze (Audi , Toyota , etc.) are extended use formula good for 100K miles. It should be OK but you will find that out.
Old 08-10-15, 09:03 AM
thoevelk
Driver School Candidate

Default drained prestone oou

After further research i decided to drain the green prestone, complete flush, and put in toyota extended life antifreeze. I flushed with water several times to ensure proper flush, also made sure car was hot during flushes to get all of the prestone out of system.
Originally Posted by thoevelk
Old 08-15-15, 04:13 PM
CQRT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I have an 2007- but here in the desert, I think it's wise to replace everything a bit earlier than suggested, so I had mine done at 75k . . . and trans flush at 85k.