ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

rattle in dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 12:21 PM
jwr1942
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattle in dash

my 2011 es has an annoying rattle that seems to be coming from the middle of the dash near the nav screen. i currently have less than 1500 miles on the car,and wonder if others have had this problem.this occurs randomly,and am hesitant to bring it to the dealer fearing they wont find it,or making it worse by dismantling the dash.i hope another member may provide info on the method of repair used to silence the rattle.
Old 05-10-11, 06:15 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've removed that unit quite often. What do you mean by rattle ? when hitting bumps, heavy turn, change of temperature ???

The wires from the nav unit are well taped, but i notice that the whole center unit do move and queak due the many plastics. The only way that i can think and i did on my unit, an UL ES350 08, is to put more tape to prevent any moving or rubbing parts and screw all the nuts and bolts tighter. The wires front the back of the unit may hit on the back panel, but that mean that the unit need to be loose.

Aside that, there is a wire that illuminate the security led that is on top of the center middle vents, but i doubt than that wire is hitting the vents.
Old 05-11-11, 08:36 AM
bdar
Driver

Originally Posted by Blueshark
I've removed that unit quite often. What do you mean by rattle ? when hitting bumps, heavy turn, change of temperature ???

The wires from the nav unit are well taped, but i notice that the whole center unit do move and queak due the many plastics. The only way that i can think and i did on my unit, an UL ES350 08, is to put more tape to prevent any moving or rubbing parts and screw all the nuts and bolts tighter. The wires front the back of the unit may hit on the back panel, but that mean that the unit need to be loose.

Aside that, there is a wire that illuminate the security led that is on top of the center middle vents, but i doubt than that wire is hitting the vents.
That's interesting. I have UL ES350 10, I have similar issue like yours (during heavy turn). But, sounds the rattle is somewhere in the front passenger's AC vent. Do you think there's a loose cable there?
Old 05-13-11, 08:32 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

No, the center AC is a single unit with no wires near it, accept the security led wire, which is cover with foam. The AC unit itself is well built and rattle free.

As i state, the cracked noise from that area is the plastic shield covering the clock, you can test it out simply by pushing it and it will make crackle noise.

The radio/nav unit is full of wires from the back, but it is too short to ding on anything.

My supposition is the flexing that cause cracks.
Old 05-23-11, 07:26 AM
OakvilleES
Driver School Candidate

here's my fix for this guys - hope it helps. My 2007 dash was a rattle box and the dealer was clueless, said it's normal, happens in time with potholes etc. I didn't agree with this and decided to fix it myself, rattles were coming mostly from corner (speaker) areas and A/C vents. If I pushed the dash forward in the corners I could hear it squeaking. So I bought - don't laugh - a $7.99 washer hose from Home Depot which i cut the ends off, then positioned it across the whole length of the dash between the dash and windshield, there's a half inch of space there or so, and pushed it downwards with a plastic pen. Basically the rubber hose is forced between the windshield and dash keeping pressure at all times and absorbing any chances of movement

Did this 2 months ago and the dash is solid as a rock and so damn quiet now Takes 20min tops and unless you have some loose stuff in the dash should be effective

Cheers
Old 05-23-11, 09:08 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a TSIB for dash rattles in the 07's. I had it done and it worked wonders.
Old 05-24-11, 06:37 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OakvilleES
here's my fix for this guys - hope it helps. My 2007 dash was a rattle box and the dealer was clueless, said it's normal, happens in time with potholes etc. I didn't agree with this and decided to fix it myself, rattles were coming mostly from corner (speaker) areas and A/C vents. If I pushed the dash forward in the corners I could hear it squeaking. So I bought - don't laugh - a $7.99 washer hose from Home Depot which i cut the ends off, then positioned it across the whole length of the dash between the dash and windshield, there's a half inch of space there or so, and pushed it downwards with a plastic pen. Basically the rubber hose is forced between the windshield and dash keeping pressure at all times and absorbing any chances of movement

Did this 2 months ago and the dash is solid as a rock and so damn quiet now Takes 20min tops and unless you have some loose stuff in the dash should be effective

Cheers
I am a freak for silencing rattles and i found your input interesting.... What is the main purpose of the washer hose as i try to understand. I'm planning removing my nav/radio console soon and i want to try your trick.

I wish you had pictures that comes with your explanations, but well....

Plus, how did you access the area between the dash and the windshield ?
Old 05-25-11, 06:29 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

OakvilleES, can you pm me for chatting, i will do your trick.
Old 05-26-11, 08:02 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Macklin
There is a TSIB for dash rattles in the 07's. I had it done and it worked wonders.
May i ask that is the exact TSIB for that, cause my 08 may suffer from that, i will take it to the dealer, but i got to have proof to argue with them. thanks.
Old 05-28-11, 05:15 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueshark
May i ask that is the exact TSIB for that, cause my 08 may suffer from that, i will take it to the dealer, but i got to have proof to argue with them. thanks.
I'm looking at my invoice and not sure which number it is. Funny what it says. "Cust states vehicle has a rattling noise from the dashboard. Cause: Dash noise poor assembly"

550991 R&R dashboard instrument pad assembly & replace mounting clips // re-insulate A/C ducts and vents
Old 05-28-11, 04:07 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

I've learn a few meaningful tricks here, i will take that to the dealer, we'll see.

OakvilleES is right on the dash contact with the windshield, insulation needed to be sandwich between it to prevent any rubbing, thus rattles, question is to put a sheet of paper between and see if it goes down under the dash, if so you can squeeze a foam or rubber mat between to prevent rubbing, i will reserve that if the dealer cannot resolve the problem.

Last edited by Blueshark; 05-28-11 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-05-11, 03:23 PM
bacalexus
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
Would like to share my experience tackling rattle
Getting colder here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, morning : 0 C = 32 F.
2008 ES350, 22K miles, rattle mainly on passenger side dashboard, when it was cold (morning).
Following OakvilleES from this thread:
A piece (10 inches) of used rubber garden hose (thin / cheap one), soaked in hot water to soften it. Wedge between the dashboard and the windshield, pushed in using wooden paint stirrer (free from Home Depot).
It was very easy since the hose was hot.
The rattle has been gone completely for the last 2 weeks.
Thanks OakvilleES
Old 11-05-11, 04:19 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ain't this somethin: gotta use a used rubber hose to quiet down a new imported luxury car. Man o man. (LOL)
Old 11-05-11, 08:20 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

This is odd, i push a sheet of paper into the gap between the windshield and dashboard and it bearly go in, so how can you squeeze a rubber hose !?

Unless the rubber hose is expose so we can see it, i cannot see how can push it to the point of hidden it.
Old 11-06-11, 03:41 AM
bacalexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes, ridiculous but work. Perfectly hidden

Hi members,

Agree, ridiculous. However, this 2008 ES350, 22k miles is out of warranty (50 month old). Try DIY, as long as it wont damage or make worst and I know my limit. Pushed the dash forward on the passenger side when it was cold, heard the squeak.

1. There is a gap (1/2") along the bottom of windshield (painted black) and the front of the dash.
2. Inserted a long small rope to the 10" hose, and make a loop. Had the hose fallen to the bottom of the gap, I could have remove it easily by pulling the rope.
3. Tried to push the hose to the passenger-side corner, middle to the speaker. Failed, the hose was hard / stiff.
4. Soaked it in near boiling water. Wiped it dry. Pushed and rolled it into the gap carefully with a soft wooden pain stirrer. Very easy. Completely hidden from inside and outside the car.
5 After the hose was cold, tried to pull the rope, didn't move at all. It hardened and securely sitting in the gap. Cut the rope and pulled it out.
6. So far it is working well, no rattle in the morning, cold temp.
Thanks, bye
Attached Thumbnails rattle in dash-p1120028-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: rattle in dash