ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Wiper blade alignment (hitting side of car when operating)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-11, 06:17 PM
durrrr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper blade alignment (hitting side of car when operating)

Hey guys. I was wondering if there is any way to adjust the wiper blade alignment/range. Mine seem to go too far when operating thus hitting the side of the car making a load clicking noise. I have an 08 ES350.
Old 05-21-11, 08:12 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Interesting - but do the wipers go all the way down when off, has your windshield been replaced lately and are the blades the correct length?

Dave Mac
Old 05-22-11, 06:40 AM
durrrr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Interesting - but do the wipers go all the way down when off, has your windshield been replaced lately and are the blades the correct length?

Dave Mac
Yes, the wipers go all the way down when off (to the "summer" position).

I purchased the car just a few months ago, used, from the dealer. The Carfax report didn't show any windshield replacements or any damage to the car whatsoever. I'm assuming the blades are still the original. How can I tell?
Old 05-22-11, 07:05 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

You can get an idea if the glass might have been replaced by looking for the Lexus Logo vs. some other glass manufacturer and the easiest way to check for the right wiper blades would probably to go to a store like Checker Auto or something and have them tell you the length of the correct blades. I guess your dealer could do this for you as well. You could also probably just eyeball or even measure the blades on another ES350 in the parking lot somewhere. If the wipers are going down to the summer position the windshield replacement issue is probably not too relevant and I suspect the wrong wiper blades were installed at some point. I don't think there is any adjustment possible if the mechanism is intact and not damaged.

Dave Mac
Old 05-22-11, 09:42 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
The easiest way to check for the right wiper blades would probably to go to a store like Checker Auto or something and have them tell you the length of the correct blades. I guess your dealer could do this for you as well.
No need to go out of the house to get the correct blade lengths:

http://www.tirerack.com/wipers/resul...Standard+Model

I just measured my wife's blades, and it is as Tire Rack says - 24" driver's side, 19" passenger's side.

Lou
Old 05-22-11, 12:48 PM
durrrr
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I verified that have the stock windshield and wipers.

I figured it out. There's a bolt on the base of the wiper arm where it pivots. I just unbolted and reset the position of the arm. There are small grooves on the base of the bolt where the wiper arm slides into.

I did notice though that the wipers when operating on the high setting go up a bit more than the low setting. Also, I noticed that when I use the windshield wiper fluid, the wipers seem faster and go up even more... very close to hitting the side of my car but not quite. I think it might have to do with the rain sensing mechanism. Anyway, it seems to be fine now. Can't wait to road test them in the rain.

Thanks for your inputs.
Old 11-24-11, 08:03 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Noticed that on high mine can go off the side a little. Also the previous owner didn't replace the wipers properly at some point - the top of the hood has some gouges lol
Old 11-24-11, 02:21 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2007 did it too. The pivot on mine was worn and needed to be adjusted but it would return to doing it. My local garage guy somehow made it work by gnashing the part so the bolt would seal better. Don't know what he did (and I'm sure I don't want to know either) but it worked for over a year and now it is someone else's problem.