Any info on the next genergation 2012 Lexus ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-11, 08:32 PM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any info on the next genergation 2012 Lexus ES 350

Hello,

Is next years model a new generation model? Will it still be a 350 or is there a new model number?
Old 06-13-11, 01:38 PM
GoingHaam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will likely stay a 350, it could possibly go to a 370 and put out 300hp being that infiniti and acura have those sizes and numbers available... but i highly doubt because those are sport sedan type numbers, which the 350 is not plus has a good decent amount of power now.
Old 06-13-11, 01:56 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't even surprise me if the number went down. It's all about efficiency now. The ES isn't their flagship sports sedan so it doesn't need 300hp or anything crazy.

Maybe have the engine displacement go down a bit and make it direct injected - horsepower would stay the same and mileage might go up.

Anything is possible.

I think the redesigned Camry will be out first - and this will pretty much lay the groundwork for the ES.
Old 06-13-11, 02:44 PM
safford197
Driver

Boe: I would say new generation as everything I've read suggests that. If you want more industry news on it do a google search on something like "2012 ES350 rumors". Are you looking to buy a new car soon? IMO - Lexus is going to have to really bring out some cool tech and a more efficient engine to up the ante on the ES350. I originally purchased my 2007 back when it was new and I have to say there's nothing out there, in it's class, so significantly better that warrants an update - so if you're looking for a new car wait for the 2012's but get a deal on the old models. Good luck.
Old 06-13-11, 08:38 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've heard, dealers like the looks of the car very much. Should debut next fall after the GS. The ES was pushed back a year, was to debut this fall.

There will be an ES hybrid offered for the first time too.
Old 06-14-11, 06:22 AM
GoingHaam
Driver

honestly its time for a few lexus models to get a new generation... IS ES GS LS all need to be redone
Old 06-24-11, 06:57 PM
boe
Driver

Originally Posted by safford197
Boe: I would say new generation as everything I've read suggests that. If you want more industry news on it do a google search on something like "2012 ES350 rumors". Are you looking to buy a new car soon? IMO - Lexus is going to have to really bring out some cool tech and a more efficient engine to up the ante on the ES350. I originally purchased my 2007 back when it was new and I have to say there's nothing out there, in it's class, so significantly better that warrants an update - so if you're looking for a new car wait for the 2012's but get a deal on the old models. Good luck.
I'm ready to buy when a car is ready for me. I've got an old TL that still runs like a top but the older GPS is killing me. The radio was junk from day one on that model BOSE. Other than that I love my car although better fuel efficiency would be nice. I wouldn't mind ventilated seats. I don't think Lexus has it but I'd like a cooled cup holder for my long drives to Vegas. I'd get another TL if they had continued where the 3G had left off but for some reason they decided to beat it senseless with ugly sticks. Also while Acura once had some of the best electronics (they dropped the bose nonsense after I bought my TL), they've let themselves fall behind. Strangely the biggest turn off for me on the Lexus is the wooden steering wheel which I would guess most Lexus drivers prefer so I must be in the minority.

I'm hoping by the time new ES comes out that the nav system is voice, and touch and possibly **** input. I'm not a fan of the **** navigation - particularly if the passenger is using the system since I only know one left handed person. Furthermore there is no reason it can't be both touch and **** so why not give people the choice?

Last edited by boe; 06-25-11 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-27-11, 04:33 PM
safford197
Driver

Boe: I agree with you on the steering wheel and the nav system. The steering wheel from the IS is much more comfortable on the hands but I wouldn't trade my ES just to get that. I remember my 2002 IS had no touch interface for the nav, strange clunky buttons and a cheesy plastic joy stick where the ***** are now (center console). So if you ask me no touch screen is like going backwards. I would love the voice commands to expand. Although I can't figure out why Lexus (or toyota) keep you from inputing data while driving. The only logic I can think of would also preclude you from using any other buttons not directly associated with driving, like seat adjustments, radio/CD buttons, interior illumination, etc...
Old 07-02-11, 12:43 PM
boe
Driver

I certainly can wait another year but it would be great if they have the new generation ES out this year.
Old 07-15-11, 09:15 AM
yokozuna
Driver School Candidate

The 2013 GS 350 goes into production in Japan in December 2011, the GS 450 hybrid in March 2012, the LX gets some minor changes, no word yet about the ES or the expected ES hybrid.
Old 07-25-11, 12:01 PM
dv57
Driver School Candidate

Default Hope for styling change

This should be a styling change year. Hope so, the current generation needs more than face lifting - especially the interior dash board with the vacent space opposite the passenger seat. Compare that to the 2006 generation.

I have followed a policy of buying a new car upon the earlier of 10 years or 300,000 miles. My 1993 Camry was almost 10 years old with 298,000 miles when I upgraded to a 2003 Lexus ES 300. Now that car has only 148,000 miles but it will be eight years old next month. Both great cars.

Looking forward to the new ES styling and if it comes out this year that will give me a model year to correct kinks before buying a 2013 ES.

DV
Washington, Texas
Old 07-25-11, 11:19 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I've now had a new 2011 ES for a month now and I'm new here. Not sure where you guys are getting the info on the 2012 but my salesman here stated that much to his chagrin Lexus is on a six year life cycle for the present Lexus models. The "new" model ES is not due until the 2013 model year, according to him. If you remember......the present Camry came out as an '06 with the present ES following in '07. The "new" Camry is due for the 2012 model year. I bought the 2011 now because I liked this version, and I did not want a post tsunami built car, at least for the first few months after production startup, which will be the 2012s. I traded a '00 Maxima SE which handled very well and the ES handling is very close to it (taking into account the "undersize" 55 profile Michelins and being 250 LBS heavier), contrary to MT and R & T, both which don't like anything that isn't a Mercedes or a BMW.
Old 07-26-11, 08:10 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgrump
I've now had a new 2011 ES for a month now and I'm new here. Not sure where you guys are getting the info on the 2012 but my salesman here stated that much to his chagrin Lexus is on a six year life cycle for the present Lexus models. The "new" model ES is not due until the 2013 model year, according to him. If you remember......the present Camry came out as an '06 with the present ES following in '07. The "new" Camry is due for the 2012 model year. I bought the 2011 now because I liked this version, and I did not want a post tsunami built car, at least for the first few months after production startup, which will be the 2012s. I traded a '00 Maxima SE which handled very well and the ES handling is very close to it (taking into account the "undersize" 55 profile Michelins and being 250 LBS heavier), contrary to MT and R & T, both which don't like anything that isn't a Mercedes or a BMW.
The present Camry came out as a 2007 model (at least in the US).

The lifecycle doesn't seem accurate either. The Camry was changed in 2002 and lasted through 2006 which makes that a 5 year life.

Personally, I think salespeople will tell you whatever sounds good so you'll buy a car TODAY. You think he's going to tell you the redesigned model is due out soon so you'll hold off on your purchase? They might as well shoot themselves in the foot and find a new job!
Old 07-26-11, 09:35 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Didn't know that the ES was pushed back a year. I would expect to see an ES 370. Design clues?, the GS would be a good place to look. I beleive the ES will have a more bold look and definitely less conservative IMO.
Old 07-26-11, 09:41 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I kind of agree that the salesman was just telling you what he thought you wanted to hear to sell the 2011. In any case you have a fine car, enjoy it.

Dave Mac

Quick Reply: Any info on the next genergation 2012 Lexus ES 350