ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Anyone else have this NAV issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 05:01 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Anyone else have this NAV issue?

I have a '10 ES350 with the following NAV issue. When arriving at a Destination, the NAV announces "your destination is ahead". It doesn't specify on the right or left (which would be helpful in the dark or on busy multi-lane roads etc.). Past GPS/NAV systems have all done this.

The wierd thing is the only time it will announce on the right or left is when "Home" is entered as the destination.

Any thoughts, tips or advice? Thanks.
Old 06-16-11, 06:54 PM
safford197
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue on the 2007 ES. After about a year of ownership I realized there's a indication as to which side of the road to look.

On the nav display as you approach your destination, look in the upper right. There will be an arrow pointing forward, your destination will be represented by a small bullseye like red and white dot either to the left, right, or directly in front depending on where the destination actually is.
Old 06-16-11, 09:20 PM
bobsobi
Driver

Hate to say it, and I do love my ES, but the Nav stinks. I still use my Nuvi.
Old 06-17-11, 06:34 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobsobi
I've used Garmins for years, mostly on my motorcycle. That being said, the interface to find and route you somewhere on the Lexus navigation is a real pain. I mostly use it to find alternate routes when going places I'm usually familiar with. At most, I use the map view to find gas stations and restaurants in the area.

I also prefer the other features gained by having the touchscreen.

I wouldn't lose sleep over the fact that it didn't tell me my destination was on the left or right. I wouldn't call it an issue - more like a detail that was left out. I just use the address number to determine which side it will be on as I arrive.
Old 06-17-11, 07:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I've since found out if you enter a Destination or POI in the car thru the NAV you get which side of the road the Destination is on. If you download Destinations or POI's to the car via eDestination to a folder (which I was doing all the time while planning trips) you don't get that info.

I agree it's not a big deal, but when you pay $2K> for the system it would be nice to get this basic feature. It helps one to get in the right turn lane etc. in unfamiliar areas.
Old 06-17-11, 08:39 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I've since found out if you enter a Destination or POI in the car thru the NAV you get which side of the road the Destination is on. If you download Destinations or POI's to the car via eDestination to a folder (which I was doing all the time while planning trips) you don't get that info.

I agree it's not a big deal, but when you pay $2K> for the system it would be nice to get this basic feature. It helps one to get in the right turn lane etc. in unfamiliar areas.
Hmm - didn't know you could upload destinations. That has to be something new on the 2010+ Nav systems I'm guessing?

Good to hear the car does tell you which side afterall - now it just sounds like a slight limitation of that particular feature.

Spending $2k on a Nav system does seem steep especially when you can get a full featured portable unit for about a hundred bucks. For 2 grand, this thing pretty much better read MY MIND!!
Old 06-17-11, 09:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Hmm - didn't know you could upload destinations. That has to be something new on the 2010+ Nav systems I'm guessing?

Good to hear the car does tell you which side afterall - now it just sounds like a slight limitation of that particular feature.

Spending $2k on a Nav system does seem steep especially when you can get a full featured portable unit for about a hundred bucks. For 2 grand, this thing pretty much better read MY MIND!!
Yeah, starting with the 2010's you can go online to eDestination, set up folders, find destinations and POI's and then download the info to the NAV in the car. All from the comfort of your home computer. Pretty slick, I use it all the time.
Old 06-17-11, 02:30 PM
safford197
Driver

I'm with Bobsobi on the Lexus nav system. It's good in a pinch or as an electronic map that's always on the right page but beyond that I think it's close to worthless. I use my iphone for finding things or if I want to stop at a POI, like Starbucks, while on a road trip.
Old 07-15-11, 06:08 PM
colby98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down I agree Lexus Nav is horrible on 2011 RX450h

when spending this much on a car and so much extra on the Lexus Navigation, I would expect at LEAST the quality of a cheap Garmin Navigation. Upon arriving to a destination there is NO VOICE telling you WHAT SIDE OF THE ROAD YOUR DESTINATION IS ON. I have NOT SEEN ANYTHING ON SCREEN that tells you with an arrow what side it is on but even if it does that means you have to LOOK AT THE SCREEN when trying to find what side the destination is on...how stupid. IT seems from the posts, LEXUS has known this problem for YEARS and has done NOTHING ABOUT IT. In my opinion that is BAD SERVICE and NOT LISTENING TO CUSTOMERS. Even my 2004 Honda Navigation told me what side of the road my destination was on. ANOTHER ITEM while I am complaining about features a 50K car should have....on the RX 450h, where is the sunglass holder?? I was told to use the tray in the console...ok, that is great because it is so shallow when I did use it and closed the console, it CRUSHED MY SUNGLASSES. SO NO GO THERE. I understand the older RX had a sunglass holder in center above front window however NOW there is one LITTLE button for emergency...THAT BUTTON COULD BE PUT ANYWHERE ELSE because if you are in an accident, that would be a very hard place to reach anyway and ONE LITTLE BUTTON SHOULD NOT TAKE UP THE WHOLE SPOT WHERE THE SUNGLASS HOLDER USED TO BE. AGAIN, LEXUS IS NOT LISTENING. I am a first time Lexus owner and while I love my car, feel these items SHOULD BY ALL MEANS BE INCLUDED. ARE YOU LISTENING LEXUS??
Old 07-15-11, 06:09 PM
colby98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totally agree

Originally Posted by safford197
I have the same issue on the 2007 ES. After about a year of ownership I realized there's a indication as to which side of the road to look.

On the nav display as you approach your destination, look in the upper right. There will be an arrow pointing forward, your destination will be represented by a small bullseye like red and white dot either to the left, right, or directly in front depending on where the destination actually is.
when spending this much on a car and so much extra on the Lexus Navigation, I would expect at LEAST the quality of a cheap Garmin Navigation. Upon arriving to a destination there is NO VOICE telling you WHAT SIDE OF THE ROAD YOUR DESTINATION IS ON. I have NOT SEEN ANYTHING ON SCREEN that tells you with an arrow what side it is on but even if it does that means you have to LOOK AT THE SCREEN when trying to find what side the destination is on...how stupid. IT seems from the posts, LEXUS has known this problem for YEARS and has done NOTHING ABOUT IT. In my opinion that is BAD SERVICE and NOT LISTENING TO CUSTOMERS. Even my 2004 Honda Navigation told me what side of the road my destination was on. ANOTHER ITEM while I am complaining about features a 50K car should have....on the RX 450h, where is the sunglass holder?? I was told to use the tray in the console...ok, that is great because it is so shallow when I did use it and closed the console, it CRUSHED MY SUNGLASSES. SO NO GO THERE. I understand the older RX had a sunglass holder in center above front window however NOW there is one LITTLE button for emergency...THAT BUTTON COULD BE PUT ANYWHERE ELSE because if you are in an accident, that would be a very hard place to reach anyway and ONE LITTLE BUTTON SHOULD NOT TAKE UP THE WHOLE SPOT WHERE THE SUNGLASS HOLDER USED TO BE. AGAIN, LEXUS IS NOT LISTENING. I am a first time Lexus owner and while I love my car, feel these items SHOULD BY ALL MEANS BE INCLUDED. ARE YOU LISTENING LEXUS??