ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 complaints-dealer salesman agrees

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 06:13 PM
Bob91320
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350 complaints-dealer salesman agrees

Got a used ES350 back in Feb. Having driven it and washed it for a few months there are several things I've come to learn to really dislike:
1. Windshield wipers don't fold away from w/s. Can't even get hand under wiper to wash w/s.
2. NAV system... I'll never own another. Messes up radio control, HVAC controls. Doesn't work as well as my cheapo Garmin. Wife steals my Garmin when she need a GPS.
3. Seats. Worst I've ever sat in. Worse than my El Camino, Dodge van, Chev, Dodge, Ford pickups, Nissan Pathfinders. Everything I've ever owned. Three hours behind the wheel and my back is toast. This is major. Both my wife and I can hardly walk after a day drive and we have a 14 day drive coming up. May rent a car for the trip and save our backs.

Never again Lexus. You're done in my book.
Old 07-21-11, 06:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

1. The wipers can be set into the winter position and then can be lifted up. Instructions are in the owners manual.

2. Agree the NAV could be better especially for the price. I have a 2010 with the newer HDD system. Some improvement over the previous.

3. Disagree on the seats, but seat comfort is very subjective. We've taken several long trips in the 2007 and 2010 ES and for us make for an enjoyable drive.
Old 07-21-11, 06:52 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob91320
Got a used ES350 back in Feb. Having driven it and washed it for a few months there are several things I've come to learn to really dislike:
1. Windshield wipers don't fold away from w/s. Can't even get hand under wiper to wash w/s.
Ah, but they do. It's covered in your owners manual. And see post No. 23 here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ou-know-2.html

3. Seats. Worst I've ever sat in. Worse than my El Camino, Dodge van, Chev, Dodge, Ford pickups, Nissan Pathfinders. Everything I've ever owned. Three hours behind the wheel and my back is toast. This is major. Both my wife and I can hardly walk after a day drive and we have a 14 day drive coming up. May rent a car for the trip and save our backs.
I'm assuming you are aware of the lumbar adjustment? To me the seats are comfortable. Nowhere near as sporting as the ones in my F, but my wife loves her's and when I drive or ride in it I don't mind her seats at all. No back pain here

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 07-22-11 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-22-11, 05:51 PM
racingt
Rookie

Love my seats, the best. Vegas drives are a snap.
Old 07-23-11, 08:37 PM
WNCcruiser
Driver School Candidate

Best seats I have ever ridden in. Bar none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-11, 05:13 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WNCcruiser
Best seats I have ever ridden in. Bar none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guess you haven't ridden in many...
Old 07-24-11, 12:57 PM
jmarr
Driver School Candidate

Adjusting the lumbar and the cushion extender makes for a very comfortable ride.
Old 07-25-11, 08:08 AM
zyvo23
Driver School Candidate

Being in outside sales, I spend a fair amount of time on the road. That being said, I find the ES350 seats to be very comfortable. Like any vehicle, they need to be adjusted and tweaked to find the perfect setting for comfort & driving visibility. But once I figured it out, I am very satisfied.

There are plenty of other gripes I have with my ES350, but the seats are definitely not one of them.
Old 07-28-11, 08:02 PM
Elex
Driver School Candidate

Interesting topic, I used to think people were crazy complaining about lack of comfort of seats, but after having surgery for a disc in my lower back a few weeks after turnung 40, I totally understand now. I understand how comfort is so subjective and I honestly don't find the seats as comfortable as i did before the disc problem. I truly miss the days of youthful ignorance of these things:-)
Old 07-29-11, 05:39 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

2. NAV system... I'll never own another. Messes up radio control, HVAC controls. Doesn't work as well as my cheapo Garmin. Wife steals my Garmin when she need a GPS.

Never again Lexus. You're done in my book.

Hopefully you sold that piece of junk. Good luck
Old 07-30-11, 10:29 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only thing I can agree on is the Nav system, cost of updates are expensive, otherwise it will in most cases get you to your destination based on my experience. Compared to some other high cars (BMW/Mercedes), the Lexus Nav system is much easier to Navigate, excuse the pun. No issues with radio/Nav controls piece of cake, I would say it's designed to 'keep it simple'. Seats are very comfortable, almost to a fault. However, if you or your wife have back problems you really can't blame that on the seats, with all due respect car manufacturers don't design seats to treat medical conditions and no amount of 'tweaking' is going to address that issue. Size and weight are also factors. All the vehicles you named as not being up to par, it's obvious that the seats are not the real issue here.
Old 07-31-11, 08:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
I only thing I can agree on is the Nav system, cost of updates are expensive, otherwise it will in most cases get you to your destination based on my experience. Compared to some other high cars (BMW/Mercedes), the Lexus Nav system is much easier to Navigate, excuse the pun. No issues with radio/Nav controls piece of cake, I would say it's designed to 'keep it simple'. Seats are very comfortable, almost to a fault. However, if you or your wife have back problems you really can't blame that on the seats, with all due respect car manufacturers don't design seats to treat medical conditions and no amount of 'tweaking' is going to address that issue. Size and weight are also factors. All the vehicles you named as not being up to par, it's obvious that the seats are not the real issue here.
Good points. It sounds like the OP just doesn't like the car. He might be better off trading it in and moving on to something else. There's nothing wrong with it, just not for him I guess.
Old 08-01-11, 07:30 AM
WNCcruiser
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by Macklin
Guess you haven't ridden in many...
O contraire my dear, I've got nine in my driveway right now! Get in them all on a weekly basis.
Old 08-01-11, 04:30 PM
jmarr
Driver School Candidate

I saw this As a response to someone complaining that their back hurt on long drives in a health magazine.
"pay attention to the curve if your spine. When standing your back has a natural arc that you need to maintain when sitting. A plush seat can cause your spine slump. To take the pressure off, start by adjusting the back of your seat so it's perpendicular to the floor, then recline it two clicks. The angle between your thighs and torso should be about 110 degrees. Adjust the lumbar to a softer mode in am when disks are swollen with fluid and firmer at night when less hydrated."
Old 08-01-11, 05:18 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

3. Seats. Worst I've ever sat in. Worse than my El Camino, Dodge van, Chev, Dodge, Ford pickups, Nissan Pathfinders. Everything I've ever owned. Three hours behind the wheel and my back is toast. This is major. Both my wife and I can hardly walk after a day drive
Bob,
Pickups, & vans have a more upright "sit" then sedans. Compare the heights of the seats from the floor. I gave up sedans for minivans 17 yrs ago and by lower back problems went away (I drive 35,000+ miles a year for work). When driving my wife's Lexus on a road trip I use the lumbar cushion I use daily in my vehicle and I'm fine.
What Jmarr mentions about seat angle cured me. I drove with my seat layed back for 500,000+ miles until my back was "mush".... Needing a minivan for my job saved my back literally.
Face it you need a different vehicle.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: ES350 complaints-dealer salesman agrees