ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Replacing Non-Nav Radio in a 2007

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 11:57 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, even if the stock mic didn't work well with the head unit, you could use the same wires to hook up the radio's mic in that stock spot. Again, you're right - would be a little bit of a pain to run new wires,

Also - checked with a local installer here, Metra JUST came out recently with the ES330 kit - installer's wife has one. He said they're typically behind, especially for the really custom dashes. Kind of a shame.
Old 02-03-13, 09:46 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_J
It's not much. Those spacers are about 1/2" deep and they barely give my speakers enough clearance.

The original speakers go about 1 1/8" into the door. I checked my documentation and the PG speakers have a 73mm mounting depth. Here are my adapters - http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-SAT69-...7240923&sr=8-3 If you are going with 6x9 speakers, you will need something like this - http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK008 .
I'm looking at beginning with the door speakers. I have read your entire thread and just want to be sure, if I want to replace either the front or rear door speakers I will need one of thHe above-mentioned adapters plus one set each of the Metra Toyota Speaker Adapter Plugs (one set for the F&R) you reference in post #36? This allows one to install either 6.5's or 6x9's in either location?

If you know, is it possible to use the existing wiring for the speaker on the rear deck to drop down into the trunk so an external sub could be easily connected? I like that box you got at Wal-Mart and would like to do something similar.

TIA!
Old 02-05-13, 07:23 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at beginning with the door speakers. I have read your entire thread and just want to be sure, if I want to replace either the front or rear door speakers I will need one of thHe above-mentioned adapters plus one set each of the Metra Toyota Speaker Adapter Plugs (one set for the F&R) you reference in post #36? This allows one to install either 6.5's or 6x9's in either location?
I would not mess with the rear door speakers. You sit in the front seats when driving. I could care less about the passengers. Normally, when I have a car load of people, we are talking more than listening to the radio.

The adapters I chose allowed you to put 6.5" speakers in a 6x9 opening. Based on the depth, I would think you will still need a spacer if you go with a 6x9 speaker.

You did not mention changing out the tweeters. That's the biggest upgrade. By going with component speakers, I removed the highs from the door speakers and routed them to the dash tweeters as they should have been in the first place.

If you know, is it possible to use the existing wiring for the speaker on the rear deck to drop down into the trunk so an external sub could be easily connected? I like that box you got at Wal-Mart and would like to do something similar.
You can use the existing sub wiring to feed an line out converter and add an amp/sub combination. I would not use the factory amp to power a different sub.
Old 02-05-13, 10:40 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

Thank you for the reply.

When I go back I now see your 6.5" mounted which looks nice. I suppose I would be interested in doing something like that, which means I would need the adapters I referenced in my previous post (the ones you are using) for the front and the others (6x9) for the back plus the fore-mentioned wiring harnesses and possibly a spacer for the rear doors, correct?

I am not planning on doing the tweeters in the dash.

I have access to a powered subwoofer that I would like to try if the wiring would drop down from the existing sub, but I'm guessing I will need to get power from somewhere?

I am curious to know what it will sound like with only pulling the four door panels and doing some re-wirng in the trunk rather than replacing all 7 speakers, running a new amp (amps?) and having to pull the HU, all of which I am willing to do just not at this time due to the fact that I'm not certain just how much longer I will own this car.

Last edited by codejd; 02-05-13 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-06-13, 11:39 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I am not planning on doing the tweeters in the dash.
Why not? Out of all the speakers, they are the easiest to swap. Also, unless you get a 6.5" mid that has exactly the same sensitivity then you will not have a matched set of speakers. That's why a set of component speakers is the best option. You can get a decent set new for $80 to $100. I found my set used.
Old 02-06-13, 01:54 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

My other car had a set of components in the front similar to this one, I replaced the door speakers (6.5") with Infinity Kappa 62.9i but left the OEM tweeters in place and am very happy with the results.

Let's say just for fun I decided to go with a mix of your suggestions and what I was thinking of by swapping out the front door speakers & dash tweeters with a component set, the rear door speakers with a set of 6x9's and my aforementioned powered sub. What exactly would you say I would need to complete the swap besides the speakers of course.

Thanks again!
Old 02-06-13, 02:59 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

Um, never mind as I have decided to go another route.

Will keep you posted!

Last edited by codejd; 02-07-13 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Absolute 180-degree turn in plans.
Old 02-09-13, 12:44 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

@Robert_J; Thanks for all of your information and input.

Today I completed most of the swap by getting the speakers changed out, amps added and a subwoofer to the trunk. I have an iPod controller kit but didn't get around to removing the dash, maybe next week.

I just have to say that I am completely blown away by the new system and am finally - after 5+ years - satisfied!

New Stuff:

JLC3-650 (x2 -f&r)
JL10W3
JLXD400/4
JLXD600/1

Sub/box:

Amps/etc. behind sub:

Old crap speakers:

Thanks again!
Old 02-09-13, 01:50 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

doesn't get much better than JL IMO. Plenty of people have told me they think it's overpriced but god damn if it doesn't sound incredible every time you fire them up.
Old 02-17-13, 01:54 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jcat_350
doesn't get much better than JL IMO. Plenty of people have told me they think it's overpriced but god damn if it doesn't sound incredible every time you fire them up.
Agreed.

This is my first experience with JL and I am overly satisfied!

Just an update; swung into Best Buy and took a look at the iPod interface kit and decided to proceed since they had time to do the install while I waited. After about a half an hour and some minor troubleshooting, all was well and I now have complete control over my iPhone at the radio/steering wheel, a line-level input and charging ability all in one connection! Very happy indeed.
Old 02-18-13, 06:17 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I'm glad my thread helped out.

Did you put anything behind your amps? I did not think that piece of trim on the car would hold up an amp.
Old 02-18-13, 10:49 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Robert_J
There is no way I would attempt to put the mic there. Running the wires would be a pain. On the other hand, the plug into the radio is only a 1/8" mono jack. If you could find the two wires from the mic, it would be a cheap test to see if it would work.
I did this install and it was easy as pie running the wires! Check it out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-thread-4.html
Old 02-18-13, 10:57 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Once you got the over head console off you can sneak the wire thru very easy between the window and the roof liner.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing Non-Nav Radio in a 2007-image.jpg  
Old 02-18-13, 10:59 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

I pulled all the excess wire thru and tucked it back in the roof liner and around the corner of the pilar.
Old 02-18-13, 11:01 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

As you pull the wire tight it disappears under the liner. You might need to use a plastic tool to help tuck the wire.

Quick Reply: Replacing Non-Nav Radio in a 2007