ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

JL Powerwedge

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-11, 07:36 PM
RTSM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JL Powerwedge

Hello forum members, I'm thinking about buying a JL Audio 10" powerwedge max for my 2011 ES 350. I have the ML so not sure if I need to do the high level to low lever conversion, if so I'll need to tap into the remote turn-on lead. Does anyone know which wire it is attached to the ML amp? I'd prefer to install myself as I've done several complete car audio systems before and can take my time (not pumping out cars like some installers).
Let me know what you folks think, I'd appreciate any advice. Don't need anything to set car alams when driving by, just need to round out the system.
Thank you.
Old 08-30-11, 05:21 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RTSM
Hello forum members, I'm thinking about buying a JL Audio 10" powerwedge max for my 2011 ES 350.
Since this is a discontinued item at Crutchfield, I assume you are buying used. Based on the price of most JL products you can get the same performance for less with different brands.

I have the ML so not sure if I need to do the high level to low lever conversion.
The JL amp has both high and low level inputs so it really doesn't matter. How are you connecting it to the car's existing system?

if so I'll need to tap into the remote turn-on lead. Does anyone know which wire it is attached to the ML amp?
Based on some quick reading, you will need a remote turn on no matter how it is connected. I assume the ML system is the same as the factory system in that there is no turn on wire. It's a digital amp and data signals tell it when to turn on and off. You will need to tap into a wire that supplies power when the radio is on. You should be able to find a wire that does that somewhere in the trunk. Maybe the power to the XM tuner if you have it?
Old 08-30-11, 08:46 PM
RTSM
Driver

Thanks Robert J for the info, the ML is the stock system. I may pay to have what every I get professionally installed since this is a new car and the ML is digital. Looks like the installer will have to be familar with ML systems. I may check with the local Lexus dealers and see who they use ($$).
Old 08-31-11, 05:21 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

If you are tapping into the speaker leads of the existing sub, it should be extremely easy except for finding the power turn on wire.

I just finished replacing the head unit of my wife's ES-350 (standard audio system). Just that made a world of difference.
Old 08-31-11, 09:56 PM
bluberryES
Rookie

Originally Posted by Robert_J
If you are tapping into the speaker leads of the existing sub, it should be extremely easy except for finding the power turn on wire.

I just finished replacing the head unit of my wife's ES-350 (standard audio system). Just that made a world of difference.
What dash kit did you use?

Last edited by bluberryES; 08-31-11 at 09:57 PM. Reason: mis spelt word
Old 09-01-11, 03:43 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bluberryES
What dash kit did you use?
Please don't hijack this thread. I'm trying to cover everything here - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-a-2007-a.html