ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Driver door sensor not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 07:03 PM
MyrideES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver door sensor not working

I took my 2008 ES350 in for an oil change and when I picked up the car, the drivers window was down and the door was locked. I had my key fob with me, so I put my hand on the door handle, expecting it to beep and open, but it didn't. I reached through the open window and unlocked the door, but the door still wouldn't open. I had to push the unlock button on my fob a couple of times before the door would open. The driver door sensor wouldn't work after that. I tried re-enacting the steps and went through them once more and the sensor would work every now and then, but then stopped. I'm thinking that one of the guys at the shop messed with some custom setting, but I'm not sure. All of the other door sensors work perfectly and this one did too prior to the oil change. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-11, 08:53 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the dealer accomplish a courtesy car wash as part of the service? If so, they may have got overly aggressive with the water spray/blast (or use a pressure washer?.......even on "low", it's a no-no) around the door handle when they washed it. Lexus warns about that. I would approach the dealer.......it's too coincidental. It's odd also that they locked the car with the window open.......isn't there an audible warning that goes off when one attempts that?
Old 10-03-11, 07:04 AM
buttons
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where does Lexus warn about automatic car washes?
Old 10-03-11, 10:18 AM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, the water spray warning was in relation to the parking assist sensors (in the bumpers). The door handle statement that I read was that "the door can unlock if a large amount of water splashes on the door handle such as in heavy rain or a car wash". There is a general warning about automatic car washes elsewhere in the Owner's Manual. The problem that MyrideES has is that the dealer may have accidently just switched the "door unlock function" which simply can be switched back as per section 1-2 of the Owner's Manual. The reference for the door handle info is in the same section.
Old 10-03-11, 11:44 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

How's your key fob battery? I've noticed that my door functions do not work reliably when the battery is near the end of its life. A new one fixes it.

Having said that, this sounds like something else. I've never had the door refuse to work at all. Might be worth a call to the dealer.
Old 10-03-11, 05:36 PM
MyrideES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried switching the door unlock function from 'drivers door handle opening drivers door only' to 'drivers door handle opening all doors' and then back to 'drivers door only'. The drivers door sensor didn't work after switching it the first time, but seems to be working after switching it back! I'll keep my fingers crossed - I only had about 1 try out of 4 that it didn't work well, which is a big improvement over not working at all. It's looking promising! Thanks!! I really appreciate the help!!