ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Performance - Body Roll...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-11, 03:52 PM
jab3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
Trying to make a ES350 handle a whole lot better is the same as trying to make a Buick Century handle better. Not in the DNA.
Interesting that you say that. I think that was the concensus over the '93-'96 Chevy Caprice, Buick Roadmaster, and Cadillac Fleetwood...that is until the 9C1 (police duty) package came out. GM put this package on a '94 Caprice for sale to the general public and called it the Impala SS. As we know, this changed the car's behavior. What some don't know is that because the Roadmaster and the Fleetwood were the same architecture as the Caprice (B body), the same package can be applied to those as well. While there isn't really a performance Camry, but share the same platform as ES 350, the principle is the same.

"Sometimes ya gotta roll the hard six." - CDR William Adama
Old 01-01-12, 07:27 PM
SickES350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RickC5
Looks like I'm going to be the only proponent of modifying suspensions (DNA modification) to improve handling. So be it!

I am one of those people that have always believed that you can improve the handling of ANY car or light truck as long as you have a few things to begin with:

1) A strong, maybe even overwhelming desire to keep the car rather than buy something else that handles better out of the box.
2) A clear and concise idea/goal of what you desire--write it down so you don't forget.
3) A willingness to experiment with your suspension, knowing that some changes may need to be reversed.
4) A willingness to accept trade-offs. There's no doubt that the ride will be affected, which may be a negative for you.
5) The knowledge to know when to stop if you just can't achieve your documented goal.
6) Last but not least: An endless supply of money! The #1 requirement before you start. Not only do you have to buy parts, but you may need to have them installed, and you MUST get your car re-aligned if you have affected the geometry.

Also, I should have mentioned earlier that new tires (and maybe wheels) can make an amazing difference in how a car handles. If you still have the OEM tires, the best money you ever spend might be on a set of better tires. I won't venture a guess as to which tires may be best for you. I'll leave that to the tire experts.

However, I recently had a set of Michelin Primacy tires put on our ES350 and they really transformed the car. Tighter steering, slightly firmer ride, better cornering, etc. All without affecting the ambience of the car. It had some Bridgestone Potenzas on it when we bought it--why I don't know, as those are NOT recommended for the ES350 from what I read online.
with stock tires, i found the falkein 912's to be a good set of tires for the cost... better cornering came from when i put coilovers on the car. the rims and ride height is just purely aesthetics. if you're into performance, you may want to change to stainless steel brake lines for a better brake pedal feel.

specs of my modifications are on here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-pictures.html
Old 01-02-12, 01:51 PM
jab3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw pics of your ride, SickES. Your username is well deserved. So how much did your car's ride suffer compaired to factory stock? I, too, am interested in decreasing body roll. I am willing to trade some ride quality for flatter cornering, but do not want this to become a completely different animal.
Old 01-04-12, 03:12 PM
SickES350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jab3
I saw pics of your ride, SickES. Your username is well deserved. So how much did your car's ride suffer compaired to factory stock? I, too, am interested in decreasing body roll. I am willing to trade some ride quality for flatter cornering, but do not want this to become a completely different animal.
if you dont ride quality to suffer as much as mine, i'd suggest getting springs. some other members have use Eibach springs with some pleasing results.

putting on coilovers significantly stiffened the ride. i would not suggest it if you're looking to keep a somewhat luxury smooth ride.
Old 04-22-22, 12:05 PM
Grateful1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It's an ES350 so if you want performance get an IS-F. You won't get what you are looking for with this car.
I intend on keeping my car. I suspect the sway bars in the high performance Lexus models like the IS-F might my ES-350. A slight increase in the Bars diameter will not really change the ride that much and are easy to install and are relatively inexpensive. If it ends up being a big deal, I will be happy with my car anyway. I’m not doing auto-cross like I did with my Boxster in the PCA. People generally don’t buy Lexus for performance as they are more interested in quality, reliability & comfort. Everything is a compromise and my car scores high and a little less body role would be appreciated while I use it as an Uber driver. 280,000 original miles on the original engine & trans and the car still look and drives like new. With all this wear, the engine does not use any oil at all in between oil changes and it stays clean, which is a really good sign it still has a long way to go. I have a lead foot too! Great product! It’s a keep and will be the last car I ever own! (By the way I have a 1999 Corvette convertible that I supercharged that smogs here in California and gets 30 MPG!)
Old 04-23-22, 10:13 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,171 Likes on 999 Posts

IS-F parts will not fit. It is built on a completely different rear-wheel drive platform. The ES is built on the front drive platform shared with the Camry, Highlander, RX, Sienna and Avalon.
Do some searching (here and elsewhere online such as https://www.toyotanation.com/forums/...ara-04-08.104/
Several members have installed Camry TRD sway bars or aftermarket sway bars for the Camry. Ultra Racing used to make one and you can still find them on eBay from overseas.
Look at this related thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-handling.html

Last edited by Clutchless; 04-23-22 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-23-22, 10:19 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,171 Likes on 999 Posts

Here is a used Ultra Racing rear bar on eBay but you have to get your own bar bushings (19mm I think) and new endlinks. Still cheaper and faster delivery than the new ones from Malaysia.
​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/32491240415...wAAOSwjxthpSDk