2007 ES 350 Waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 06:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
ah ok cool thank you
i wasn't even sure what direct inject was untilli looked it up then i looked it up and was like cool ok now ill get that out of my head lol

i think the RX has a Timing chain also then cause they told me the RX was the same set up engine wise as the ES350 for no belt service
Correct on the RX. The ES and RX have the same 3.5 V6 that's used in Camry, Avalon, Venza, Rav4, Highlander and Sienna. It's a workhorse for them.
Old 04-10-13, 06:34 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, my timing belt service statement was more of a generalization. However, at 90k they should at least check the timing chain, tensioner, and guides.
Old 04-10-13, 07:39 AM
twistedman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, i just got back from the dealership, they had my car for the last 2 days getting the water pump done! I was hearing a belt type noise coming from the engine bay!! I thought it was a tensioner, or possibly the alternator, but it was the water pump!!! No visible leaks, but it was on its way out!!

My P.T. Warrantry was until 130k and i brought it in at 125,333 so it was fully covered! Also had them change both belts and they checked the timing chain as well! Wheel alignment was also done.. Thanks to all for the info in this thread! You saved me big time..
Old 04-15-13, 12:03 PM
kws6000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jcat_350
The warranty is a contract...it states we'll fix whatever goes wrong during this time period up to this many miles. YOU SIGNED that contract when you bought the car. Now you think they're being unreasonable for not jumping at the chance to do something for you for free?

I understand you may be frustrated with having to fix the car, but that is what extended warranties and service contracts are for. Cars break. Warranties are purchased as insurance against such breakage, to push some of the risk off of yourself and onto the warranty company. You didn't elect to do this, as such the risk fell on you, and now you have a breakage to take care of.

Lexus doesn't owe you anything...would you say the same thing if Apple didn't fix your iphone for free after the warranty expired? Or if you take a shirt home and rip it, do you expect a free one in exchange?
There is also an implied contract of how long a particular part should last... A water pump should not fail at less than 45000 miles . .Looking through these and some of the Toyota forums it is obvious that water pumps are failing prematurely in this application.

I talked with a local Toyota dealer .while getting a cost estimate for the repair...This dealer was surprised at Lexus' position....If it would have been a Camry , with the same issue, Toyota would have likely good willed the whole repair...based on their experience.

Lexus does owe me the reasonable expectation that I shouldnt have to replace items prematurely because of shoddy engineering or supplier cost cutting.

The heater core on my c5 corvette failed prematurely 6 mos past warranty....GM covered the replacement cost under good will.

I expected Lexus to cover half the cost....They chose not to do anything...so I chose with my wallet....I wont buy another Lexus ....neither will anyone in my family or any of my co workers.

Im thankful it wasnt anything large like a transmission or engine failure.

Regarding your shirt example....If it ripped putting it on after getting home, of course I would want a free replacement.....If I ripped it being careless,then its my problem.
Old 06-14-13, 10:45 AM
lanb
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another premature water pump failure

Came back last evening to find a puddle of coolant under the parked car. Had the car towed
to the local lexus dealership.

Yep, yet another water pump failure at 57000 miles. Vehicle is 20 days out of the 6 year PT
warranty

Quoted $900 for a water pump replacement and the best the dealership could offer was a 10% discount. No goodwill replacement/warranty.

I called Lexus CS and they have forwarded it to a case manager. Will keep you guys posted on
how it goes.
Old 06-20-13, 07:10 PM
lanb
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, after some back and forth with lexus cs they agreed to replace the water pump at
no charge as a "goodwill" warranty.

Moral of the story - Check your car thoroughly a few days before any warranty ends.
Old 06-21-13, 06:30 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lanb
Moral of the story - Check your car thoroughly a few days before any warranty ends.
Bingo, bingo, bingo. This is the whole point.
Old 11-01-13, 01:02 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I've joined the new water pump gang. My 2007 es350 was in for its 60k mile/100k km servicing and I mentioned that there was a growl when the car was idling in gear at a stop light etc. They discovered a noisy water pump seal and low coolant levels. Replaced the water pump assy and bled the coolant system.

Tech time 2.5hrs charged !!!

I mentioned to him that many here have reported 5-10hrs labor for this procedure. He said that the Lexus book estimate was 5 hrs, and many independent mechanics around here charged up to 12 hrs. Why so much I asked? Service manager said because they don't know how to do it quickly and lift engine rather than just loosing some bolts.

And why was mine only 2.5 hours??? Because the repair was done under my extended warranty and the 2.5 hours was the actual time it took!!!

I've gotten a lot of use out of my Lexus Extended Warranty!!! (Trunk paint, camshaft, rain sensor w new windshield, water pump to mention a few biggies!!!)
Old 11-02-13, 10:59 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nevernu: Was this growl similar to what a bad power steering pump would sound like? Just curious; my car has a similar personality and I just figured I'd keep driving it. Haven't lost any coolant etc. I still have until 2016 or 100k miles.
Old 11-02-13, 11:14 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I really only heard/felt it as a vibration and low growl when idling in gear at stop lights. The lexus is usually so quiet that this was a noticeable anomaly. The service manager initially thought that it was an exhaust seal that was leaking but phoned me later with the "bad water pump news" not realizing I had an extended warranty.

Power steering growl I think would have been much louder. However since u seem to have some extended coverage, check with your dealer, cant hurt.
Old 01-20-14, 12:21 PM
mathisj42
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy 2007 ES350 Leaking Water Pump

Discovered today that my 2007 ES350 water pump leaks. It has 39,000 miles of regular driving. What's with that from so soon mileage? Now, that's outside the 72 months warranty but far within the 70,000 miles, therefore, my dealer advised me to call Lexus about it.
Old 01-20-14, 01:16 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

These pumps have mechanical seal with relief port and some leakage is expected. There are guidelines as to what is considered as abnormal leak and when the replacement would be necessary, otherwise some leaking is expected and is OK...
Old 01-29-14, 10:24 AM
kws6000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mathisj42
Discovered today that my 2007 ES350 water pump leaks. It has 39,000 miles of regular driving. What's with that from so soon mileage? Now, that's outside the 72 months warranty but far within the 70,000 miles, therefore, my dealer advised me to call Lexus about it.
If your experience is like mine, Lexus will say too bad.....No coverage, of any kind, for you !
Old 03-15-14, 01:01 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nevernu
This service bulletin re water pumps may be of interest to some.
What exactly does this service bulletin mean? Have a 2011 ES350 with low mileage and no
problems. Is this a known defect? Feedback please!
Old 03-17-14, 02:08 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexi66
What exactly does this service bulletin mean? Have a 2011 ES350 with low mileage and no
problems. Is this a known defect? Feedback please!
Bump ... Please anyone with knowledge regarding this?? Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2007 ES 350 Waterpump