ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Just purchased '12 es350...BT Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12 | 09:28 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Default Just purchased '12 es350...BT Audio

keeps "disconnecting". I just bought it on Wednesday and called the dealership on Thursday to ask what to do. The guy I spoke to was the one who gave me my tour/intro to my car before driving it off the lot. He had told me to call him if I had any issues operating anything. And, of course, we had set-up all phone features during this walk-thru of my car.

He expressed frustration w/ Lexus stating that this problem is a current for them, and that I'd have to repeat the "connect to BT audio" steps each time this happens.

I'm frustrated as well b/c 1 of my fav features is the BT audio. It "disconnected" 2x on Wed and 4x on Thu, then not at all today.

Anyone have a work-around? Anyone know what might be triggering these disconnections?

Thx for any suggestions.

Last edited by mckdaddy; 05-18-12 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Mispe
Old 05-19-12 | 04:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Can't help you but this is the first time I've heard of any BT problem with the '12's.
I have a '12 and haven't experienced any BT problem.
Old 05-19-12 | 05:12 AM
RyanC
Driver

Agreed - I have a 2011 and haven't had any problems with BT. Can you try another device? Maybe borrow a friend's phone to try or something?

I've used an HTC Thunderbolt and Galaxy Nexus and both work great for BT Audio and BT Phone.
Old 05-19-12 | 06:12 AM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Thx for the replies. I'm going in for my 1k check-up next week, and will spend some face-to-face time w/ the tech that told me this was common, see if I can get some more details out of him.

One thing I've noticed is if I'm on the BT audio and switch the mode to Sat, then sometime later switch back to BT audio....I'm disconnected.

BUT, if I pause my phone (via the phone itself or the button on the dash) before switching the mode from BT audio to Sat, then when I go back to BT audio I'm still connected. I've never been disconnected when switching b/t BT audio and Sat when pausing my device prior to the switch. Admittedly my sample size is pretty small.

Weird, huh?

I'll share an update after I visit the dealer this week.
Old 05-19-12 | 05:57 PM
frankbcnt
Driver

What phone?

I'd reset your phone. If you turn your bt off and back on while the car is on its not gonna reconnect right.

I have no problems at all with our iPhones with our Lexus or my tundra.
Old 05-19-12 | 07:19 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by frankbcnt
What phone?

I'd reset your phone. If you turn your bt off and back on while the car is on its not gonna reconnect right.

I have no problems at all with our iPhones with our Lexus or my tundra.
-- Iphone 4.

-- I'm not turning BT on or off, but merely doing the "reconnecting BT audio" step. During this step the BT on both my phone and car remain on. In fact, when I've been "disconnected" from BT audio, I've remained able to make/receive calls via the car's BT, as it has remained "connected", just not the BT audio.

-- I've seen in other forums where some iphome owners are blaming this issue on the iOS 5 update. But obviously you and many others aren't having this problem, but my best friend and I are (he also has an iphone 4 and obviously iOS 5).

-- I also found a thread on this site w/ Lexus owners stating the same problem that I did in my 2nd post of this thread....the BT audio being "disconnected" after coming from another mode. For example, BT audio working great. Then I switch to another mode, such as Sat, but when switching back to BT audio it now "disconnected". And remains "disconnected" until I perform the "connect to BT audio" step. Others have mentioned that the solution for them to reconnect to the BT audio was to pull the car over, simply turn the car off and restrt the car, then the BT audio would be reconnected.

-- Frank, by suggesting resetting the phone, would that be a reset to factory settings or a reset done by holding down both the home and power buttons?

Last edited by mckdaddy; 05-19-12 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-19-12 | 07:40 PM
RyanC
Driver

It couldn't hurt to power off the phone and then power it back on - worth a shot. But now that you mention it, I think I usually pause the BT Audio before switching to another source - so maybe you're hitting on one of the underlying issues.
Old 05-20-12 | 07:01 AM
frankbcnt
Driver

I would double click the button an kill all the apps and hold down the power afterwards to shut it off and reboot it.

Do you have other bt devices that can connect to it near? Like a bt headset or something else? I did notice that if we drive both vehicles close to each other and I'm using iTunes it will pause the song! If I get far away it's fine, when we come to a light boom it pauses., it's prob because my phone is paired with both vehicles.

I know in my truck if the phone is shut off while the truck is on I gotta turn the truck off and back on for the bt to work.

I my wife has the iPhone 4 ios5 and I have the 4s on ios5.

She's drives the Lexus everyday though but has never said anything about disconnects. When I drive it I use the audio and voice and never have problems.
Old 05-20-12 | 04:25 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by frankbcnt
I would double click the button an kill all the apps and hold down the power afterwards to shut it off and reboot it.

Do you have other bt devices that can connect to it near? Like a bt headset or something else? I did notice that if we drive both vehicles close to each other and I'm using iTunes it will pause the song! If I get far away it's fine, when we come to a light boom it pauses., it's prob because my phone is paired with both vehicles.

I know in my truck if the phone is shut off while the truck is on I gotta turn the truck off and back on for the bt to work.

I my wife has the iPhone 4 ios5 and I have the 4s on ios5.

She's drives the Lexus everyday though but has never said anything about disconnects. When I drive it I use the audio and voice and never have problems.
-- I have now done the "hard reset" on my iphone4, so we'll see if that helps

-- I do not have any other BT devices and my "disconnections" thus far have only been on the interstate when I was doing a bit of switching back and forth between the Sat and BT audio modes.

-- if all I use is the BT audio and the BT phone functions then I have no problems also, so far. But switching modes is where I have disconnections from the BT audio (yet the BT phone will still work fine). Since Thursday night or Friday I've been trying to remember to pause the BT audio before switching modes, and thus far that has worked, but my sample size is small.
Old 05-22-12 | 05:42 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Well, darn. I was pausing today each time before switching modes, but still had 2 BT disconnections out of approximately 5 times leaving BT audio for Sat.

My 1k "check-up" is tomorrow, so I'll see what the tech says and pass it on if helpful.
Old 05-23-12 | 07:41 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Alright, here's what my tech said...

that this is most common in the Lexus '2012's. That apple is far ahead of Lexus in this area and that Lexus can't move as fast a apple, so the BT audio technology in the '12s isn't up to date w/ Apple software (and likely other phone software, but he only discussed apple). Apple has supposedly said it will look into helping Lexus make the disconnections go away, but my tech's opinion is that it isn't high on apple to-do list.

My tech claims these BT audio disconnections are embarrassingly common for Lexus '12 owners and that there is nothing they can do about it. He estimated 60-70% of their customers are iphone users and thus they having to be constantly apologetic to their '12 buyers for this problem.

I'm just glad I don't have to pullover each time to reconnect.
Old 06-01-12 | 09:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That just doesn't make sense...why would your 2012 be more behind than my 2010? I also have an iPhone 4, and I do have an occasional disconnect and need to reconnect but it happens maybe twice a month...
Old 06-02-12 | 04:49 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SW10ES
That just doesn't make sense...why would your 2012 be more behind than my 2010? I also have an iPhone 4, and I do have an occasional disconnect and need to reconnect but it happens maybe twice a month...
I agree....just what I was told. My disconnections, so long as I pause before changing modes, has dropped to where it only happens about 20% of the time, and not 1x did it disconnect last week.
Old 06-02-12 | 09:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hopefully it stays that way...