ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Phonebook issues with ES350

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 07:10 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This morning I tested #5 just to see if it happened again (now that I updated to iOS 5.1.1), it worked fine, all records remained on the car's phone system. Apparently there is something going on with previous iOS releases but this latest one works OK. I still don't understand how a phone can get access to speed dial and call history on the car though.

One thing that bothers me big time is how iOS 5.x.x handles incoming calls. All my contacts have the country code as part of the phone number, this is because I travel frequently outside the country and I also call international numbers. Basically you'll see a +1 or +37 etc. before the number, this is a must for me. The phonebook on my car received the numbers from the phone with their prefix, perfect! All iOS versions prior to version 5 passed the incoming call number through BT to the car with the prefix, so it matched the phonebook's entry and the name displayed fine on the car's screen. Since iOS 5 was released, prefixes on incoming call are stripped ending on a phone number that doesn't match the entry on the phonebook, hence I only see the number on the car's screen but not the caller's name. Does anyone here use prefixes and has experienced this same problem?
Old 08-14-12, 07:34 PM
joeh80
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the phone is getting access to your speed dials or your history. Your speed dials and history are tied into your contacts. I think losing your contacts wipes your speed dials and call history.

I have been on IOS 5.1.1 for over a month now and it has wiped my contacts at least twice. I know one time it happened the day after I had to reset my phone so I am watching that one also.

I have a problem losing waits and pauses. The pauses are included in my iphone contacts numbers but they don't transfer to the car. I have to go in and manually insert them using the Nav screen.

Last edited by joeh80; 08-14-12 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 06:57 AM
Valkirk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone else getting the wipes have multiple phones registered to the system?
Old 08-15-12, 07:27 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

From an old thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...sappeared.html

This guy had the same problem but with a Treo 650, that means that it's not the iPhone at fault. What remains the same is that the car lost BT connection to the phone. When this happens, the car will show the phone as not connected, but it'll display it correctly on the paired phones list. When you select the phone and hit connect, the car will pair to the phone successfully, it won't ask you to enter any code as it was paired before, but by then everything got wiped out. Who wants to explain this to Lexus?
Old 08-15-12, 10:38 PM
Valkirk
Driver

Did anyone change the default BT settings? Just wondering if another phone with same name /pass coming near might cause above?
Old 08-16-12, 08:10 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

^^^ I don't think it works that way. AFAIK you can't change the password on the car, it's always 1111. Also pairing is done using the device's ID (both car and phone), so even if another iPhone 4S passes by my car, it won't connect automatically, I'll have to pair it.
Old 08-16-12, 10:36 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For what its worth, I had our Lexus salesman set up our phones for BT on our 2011. No problems or issues since.
Old 08-16-12, 11:32 AM
Valkirk
Driver

Hmm, got to be a common factor. Do you have more than 1 phone paired?
Old 08-16-12, 03:55 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, my Blackberry and my wife's Nokia regular phone.
Old 08-17-12, 12:03 AM
Valkirk
Driver

Thanks, has anyone had the wipe problem but only has 1 phone registered?
Old 08-20-12, 08:40 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

^^^ That would be me.
Old 08-27-12, 01:02 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

It happened again this weekend. I jumped into the car and turned it on, right away I tried to make a call using the steering wheel button but didn't work because the phone had not connected yet. Once it connected all records were gone. That situation made me think... previous times this same thing happened when I tried to make a call as soon as I got into the car, could that be the sequence that triggers the issue? Trying to make a phone call while the phone is trying to connect to the car?
Old 08-27-12, 03:26 PM
joeh80
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

You could be onto something. That is why it tried to simplify my connection as much as possible by taking out my wife's phone. I have a wireless blue-tooth connection in my house that connects my cellphone to all the phones in the house as soon as I walk through the door. I know when I get in the car it has to disconnect from house blue-tooth to connect to the car blue-tooth and that could be when I am losing my contacts by trying to make a call before the phone connects completely to the car. It hasn't happened to me in over a month now so that gives me another thing to watch for.
Old 08-27-12, 11:37 PM
Valkirk
Driver

Originally Posted by Juanca
It happened again this weekend. I jumped into the car and turned it on, right away I tried to make a call using the steering wheel button but didn't work because the phone had not connected yet. Once it connected all records were gone. That situation made me think... previous times this same thing happened when I tried to make a call as soon as I got into the car, could that be the sequence that triggers the issue? Trying to make a phone call while the phone is trying to connect to the car?
This could very well be the answer! I can clearly recall a few times where I have tried to make a call or look up number and the phone hadn't connected (and not always right at the start)
Old 08-28-12, 12:07 AM
Assassinus
Driver School Candidate

I'm having problems with my phonebook even transfering over. My Iphone initially has a bluetooth connection, then when I hit transfer phonebook and no group. The screen pops up on my Nav saying that the transfer is in progress and my Iphone looses it bluetooth connection. Nothing happens at all!! I am pissed that i may have to input everything individually. Does anyone have a work around?

Quick Reply: Phonebook issues with ES350