ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-12, 09:20 AM
lomarica
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked windshield

any suggestions for a replacement windshield? I had a tiny chip for over a year and if finally cracked. Lesson learned get any chips fixed right away it will be a lot cheaper

thanks
Old 06-30-12, 09:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Talk of windshield replacement in this recent thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ght-a-car.html
Old 06-30-12, 02:30 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

It depends on how long you plan to keep your car. My insurance co,, State Farm, used to pay for "logo glass" on any car a year or two old upon request but the last time I needed a replacement on my 2010 they advised that I would have to pay the difference which was something like $750 to get Lexus glass. It was my Lexus dealer and their glass people, Penske Rapid Repair, dealing with them and because it was a lease car I opted not to pay. It is simply the worst windshield glass I ever had, more noise, tint much lighter than the original and the rain sensor works but not as well as before. And the worst part is this glass won't break even though I find myself following dump trucks on the freeway just waiting for something to hit it. Of course both Penske Rapid Repair and the glass people assured me it was the same as OEM spec. glass. But I suppose if I had it to do over I still wouldn't pay out of pocket for Lexus glass.

Dave Mac
Old 06-30-12, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Thats exactly my experience with every piece of aftermarket glass I've ever been roped into getting. I told my insurance company this time "you can just give me the Lexus glass now, or you can keep installing and I'll keep rejecting aftermarket windshields until you install the OEM. They opted to take me at my word.

It might also be an issue at lease return...
Old 06-30-12, 06:55 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Thats exactly my experience with every piece of aftermarket glass I've ever been roped into getting. I told my insurance company this time "you can just give me the Lexus glass now, or you can keep installing and I'll keep rejecting aftermarket windshields until you install the OEM. They opted to take me at my word.

It might also be an issue at lease return...
I've never had an issue with OEM glass and insurance.
Check your policy in CT glass is 1st $ coverage

I also hate the repairs, I find them annoying and they always seem to be in my field of vision. I prefer to replace
Old 06-30-12, 09:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I never did either until this time. They gave me a little bit of a hard time. My insurance company (Allstate) has partnered with Safelite to manage their glass claims. They have an entirely separate claims process for glass that is managed by Safelite, and they rejected the dealer's request for approval for OEM glass a couple times. Since Safelite is in the business of glass repairs and replacing windshields with their own brand of aftermarket glass you can see where there would be a conflict. I insisted on using the dealer, and insisted on OEM glass.

My insurance agent finally submitted the claim as a comprehensive claim the way they used to instead of a glass claim, and there was no issue from that time forward. As a matter of fact the adjuster cut me a $1,600 check payable to me directly...
Old 07-01-12, 06:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I never did either until this time. They gave me a little bit of a hard time. My insurance company (Allstate) has partnered with Safelite to manage their glass claims. They have an entirely separate claims process for glass that is managed by Safelite, and they rejected the dealer's request for approval for OEM glass a couple times. Since Safelite is in the business of glass repairs and replacing windshields with their own brand of aftermarket glass you can see where there would be a conflict. I insisted on using the dealer, and insisted on OEM glass.

My insurance agent finally submitted the claim as a comprehensive claim the way they used to instead of a glass claim, and there was no issue from that time forward. As a matter of fact the adjuster cut me a $1,600 check payable to me directly...
I have Allstate too.I would fight for an oem windshield.I wouldn't pay $1600 out of pocket for one if Allstate wouldn't go oem.I'd go Pilkington or PGW acoustic.HV glass.I don't keep a car long.
I may have a card to play.My son in law owns a Allstate agency.Maybe that would help me.I had Traveler's before and I believe Traveler's approves oem parts if the vehicles in I believe 12 or 18 months old.Maybe even 2 years.One of those numbers.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-01-12 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-01-12, 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The secret with Allstate is to file it as a comprehensive claim, once they did that there were no issues or questions.
Old 07-01-12, 07:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

The secret with Allstate is to file it as a comprehensive claim, once they did that there were no issues or questions.
Windshield crack claims are a comprehensive claim.I have $0 deductible.
There still would be a fight for oem windshield when an insurance company can pay a claim at $400 vs $1600 for oem.
Old 07-01-12, 07:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But with Allstate like I said they handle glass claims separately from comprehensive now through their partnership with Safelite. They don't even assign Allstate claim numbers, they're different Safelite numbers. It follows the guidelines of your comprehensive coverage but you totally bypass Allstate's claim adjusters, etc. Safelite refused to authorize the OEM glass.

Once we submitted it as a comprehensive claim and went around the new Safelite expedited glass program, I was contacted by an adjuster who needed to see the car, just as if it were body damage. I took the car to him, told him I wanted OEM glass, explained why. He cut me a $1,600 check on the spot. No issues, no argument, no questions.

Just did it with Allstate last month, I could write an article on how to do it, I'd be interested to hear your Son's thoughts. My agent was dumbfounded by the new changes...I was the first customer he had that they put through this Safelite thing.
Old 07-01-12, 08:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

But with Allstate like I said they handle glass claims separately from comprehensive now through their partnership with Safelite. They don't even assign Allstate claim numbers, they're different Safelite numbers. It follows the guidelines of your comprehensive coverage but you totally bypass Allstate's claim adjusters, etc. Safelite refused to authorize the OEM glass.

Once we submitted it as a comprehensive claim and went around the new Safelite expedited glass program, I was contacted by an adjuster who needed to see the car, just as if it were body damage. I took the car to him, told him I wanted OEM glass, explained why. He cut me a $1,600 check on the spot. No issues, no argument, no questions.

Just did it with Allstate last month, I could write an article on how to do it, I'd be interested to hear your Son's thoughts. My agent was dumbfounded by the new changes...I was the first customer he had that they put through this Safelite thing.

When the wife's CR-V took the windshield hit,my son in law had a woman who handles Allstate glass claims in my area call me.I mentioned wanting Honda glass if the chip couldn't be filled.
She said being it's an '11 so Allstate may give you oem.If not she was able to get me whatever aftermarket glass brand I wanted.
Never went forward because the chip was able to be filled and it has held for 6-7 months.
The chip wasn't in the line of vision.I also don't really want a new windshield installation unless i have no choice.Factory installs are always better.
I've heard and read some bad things about Safelite and I'd never go with them.
Old 07-01-12, 08:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I'm the same way, only break the factory seal if I have to...