ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

A question on tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-12, 03:49 PM
sford52
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default A question on tires

I picked up a 2011 with 11k mi last Thursday. In general, pretty happy with my car, but..... (there's always a but isnt there?),

It seems to have a rougher ride than some of the Lexuses I've driven. The tires are brand new Pirelli P6 four season plus P215/55R17 94V.

Are these good tires, are they smooth, quiet ride tires?

Also, I don't get any feedback on the TPMS on the info screen, no temp or pressure - should I be seeing something ?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 07-16-12, 05:13 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Checked out the reviews on Tire Rack, nothing to say they are noisy or rough riding except one review was not happy on his LS430. Tread pattern seems okay.
Old 07-16-12, 06:40 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Welcome Bill and congratulations on the new car.

You won't see anything from the TPMS on the screen in this model of the Lexus - just a warning on the dash when one tire (including the spare) is showing low pressure and even then it will be up to you to determine which tire it is.

Dave Mac
Old 07-16-12, 08:07 PM
sford52
Driver School Candidate

Ahh, Thanks Dave, I guess I wont worry about that then!!

Garsrno - thanks for the hint to "Tire rack", googled over there myself. I'm not sure if it's the tires, or if they aren't inflated correctly or not balanced/aligned, or I'm just being way too picky. They were purchased at by the dealer at Discount Tires, so I may see if they have some thoughts. I'm not sure if they'd be willing to exchange them for something else (now that they've been used), but they may be willing to look alignment./balance

Thanks again guys,
Bill
Old 07-17-12, 05:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I find when buying a car,the tires are usually always overinflated and sometimes a lot which definitely cause a harsh ride.
When I picked up my '12,the tires were at 38 and 39lbs.I usually have a tire pressure gauge and check tires when I buy a vehicle.Dealers keep high pressure in tires because the vehicles sit for a long time.
I like a soft ride and go with the door label number pressure recommended of 30 lbs. .
Old 07-17-12, 06:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I find when buying a car,the tires are usually always overinflated and sometimes a lot which definitely cause a harsh ride.
When I picked up my '12,the tires were at 38 and 39lbs.I usually have a tire pressure gauge and check tires when I buy a vehicle.Dealers keep high pressure in tires because the vehicles sit for a long time.
I like a soft ride and go with the door label number pressure recommended of 30 lbs. .
I too have had several cars delivered with the tire pressures too high - In the 39 lbs range that you mentioned. I've also noticed when the car comes back from dealer service the tires are often set higher than recommended. I usually forget to tell them to leave the tires where I have them set.
Old 07-18-12, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Yep, my guess is the tire pressures are too high. Check them with a gauge, reduce them to whats on the door sticker and my guess is it'll ride much better.

Tires are likely okay, I'd never buy those tires for my Lexus...but I bet the culprit is tire pressure. They also inflate them way up for transport. They're supposed to reduce them down to the factory spec when they PDI the car, but seldom do.
Old 07-18-12, 03:49 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sford52
I picked up a 2011 with 11k mi last Thursday. In general, pretty happy with my car, but..... (there's always a but isnt there?),

It seems to have a rougher ride than some of the Lexuses I've driven. The tires are brand new Pirelli P6 four season plus P215/55R17 94V.

Are these good tires, are they smooth, quiet ride tires?

Also, I don't get any feedback on the TPMS on the info screen, no temp or pressure - should I be seeing something ?

Thanks,
Bill
I checked on tire rack...Pirelli P6 four season tires were ranked 19th out of 28 tires that were compared...The Goodyear Assurance Comfortred was ranked #1...I bought of set of Goodyears about a year ago and have 16,000 miles..I am very pleased with the comfortred (ride, noise, traction, wear and handling) and they cost less than michelin..Hope this helps
Old 07-19-12, 09:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Did you buy the old Comfortreads or the newer Comfortread Touring?

The old Comfortreads only came in a "T" speed rating which I personally would never put on a car like the Lexus on which the suspension geometry was designed around V rated tires. I have H rated tires on mine now, and forum buddies drug me kicking and screaming to that.

The new Comfortread Tourings come V rated, but they're $152 a tire on Tire Rack. The Michelin Primacy MXV4 H rated are only $149 each...and the V rated Primacy is only $159. So all in all the pricing is about the same. When you look at the actual survey ratings the Michelins are slightly higher rated than the Goodyears...
Old 07-19-12, 10:01 AM
sford52
Driver School Candidate

Well, I dropped them down to 30psi. They softened just a little, but still -
1) they seem to have a jittery vibration at speeds over 50 that travels, on different types of raod surface
2) they dont seem to take on road bumps (like pavement joins) as smoothly or quietly as I thought they should.

The vibration may be a balancing issue. Just not sure
Old 07-19-12, 10:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah #1 is likely balance. These cars are also hard to balance properly. Pirelli tires...I don't know how round they typically are either because I've never owned any, but I do know some brands have lower quality control and have more issues with being out of round and difficult to balance.

I would have them road force balanced. Now...here's the thing. The road force balancing is going to run you $100 or so. That $100 could go towards a new set of tires. I might think about getting rid of the Pirellis and getting a set of Michelins.

I have not had those specific tires on the car, so I can't promise you that will fix your issue, but I do know that the right set of tires makes ALL the difference on these cars. I do also know you may be able to sell or trade the new P6's in on something else. Maybe try and do a swap at the dealer?
Old 07-19-12, 11:19 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would get them properly balanced and see if there is an improvement. I don't think there is a tire that will match the Michelin Primacy ride.
Old 07-19-12, 05:01 PM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Did you buy the old Comfortreads or the newer Comfortread Touring?

The old Comfortreads only came in a "T" speed rating which I personally would never put on a car like the Lexus on which the suspension geometry was designed around V rated tires. I have H rated tires on mine now, and forum buddies drug me kicking and screaming to that.

The new Comfortread Tourings come V rated, but they're $152 a tire on Tire Rack. The Michelin Primacy MXV4 H rated are only $149 each...and the V rated Primacy is only $159. So all in all the pricing is about the same. When you look at the actual survey ratings the Michelins are slightly higher rated than the Goodyears...
I got the newer Comfortred Touring which are V rated....I paid $490 after rebates.......This price included mounting, balancing, lifetime rotation balance and road hazard...IMO the best way to buy tires is to do research/homework and decide what tire fits your needs and budget...I also sold my four Goodyear Eagle tires that had 34,000 miles on them for $30. Therefore, my total out of pocket price was $460.......The original tires were Bridgestone and lasted 26,000 miles....The Comfortred Tour are rated at 70,000 miles.......I currently have 16,000 miles on them and I am pleased with the handling, ride and tire wear....I have then rotated and balanced every 6,000 miles
Old 07-19-12, 05:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats about what I paid for my Primacys too...

Yeah the Bridgestones are awful tires...the Comfortreads are a big upgrade.
Old 07-21-12, 08:41 PM
sford52
Driver School Candidate

First thing this morning I went to Discount Tires and exchanged the Pirellis for the Michelin Primacy. I wouldn't say the difference is night and day, but it is appreciably better. There's slightly less road noise and a noticeably smoother ride. I also don't notice the vibrations anymore, but wont blame the tires. I haven't seen the tpms warning come on, I kind of expected it, but not yet.

All in all, I dont mind the extra bucks I shelled out, after all, bought this car for the ride....

So, on to the next thing!

Quick Reply: A question on tires