ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How is Your lexus Holding Up? Mines not

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 10:31 PM
frankbcnt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 50k on our Es with no probs other then the paint chips from all the highway driving.

Hyundai is garbage you will be at the dealer more
Then behind the wheel. That warranty is 10 years or
Whatever yes but youll be sick of The car before
Then. Our office had a sonata and a Santa fe. How many old hyundais do you see runnin around compared to Toyota Honda ect...

Cheap materials, loud lousy ride, cheap tinny sounding cars .

Same with the Kia. They look nice but go drive one you wount buy it for yourself if you've driven a Lexus.

I haven't driven a genesis but I don't think i would drop 40k on it when I could buy an
Es and have better confidence in it. If something did go wrong Lexus service is above and beyond anything I've ever seen. At least jm Lexus is.
Old 08-13-12, 11:21 PM
AURORA4DTH
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I really enjoy the car other than the issues which i just wasn't expecting. I was happy to finally get it back today. i have been driving a Cadillac which is ok but the ride on the Lexus i like much better. I hope it stays fairly stable now.
Old 08-13-12, 11:27 PM
AURORA4DTH
Driver School Candidate

Frank, i agree i have driven the sonata Garbage, i have driven the genesis, it is awesome. I was very impressed by it. The lexus is also very nice driving. I will give the lexus service much credit as i was also impressed by it.

You have 50k now contact me when you have 70k and see what is going on then. I hope nothing and it is rock solid. if you have the same problems i have had i think you will be telling a different story. It seems like i am in the minority here which i think is good news. Hopefully i will be good for a little while now.
Old 10-17-12, 06:22 PM
colymon
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 es 350

Originally Posted by AURORA4DTH
Hello to all. I bought a lexus some time ago based off of Toyotas reputation and have owned a couple toyotas. They have always been great cars so i decided to get a lexus (an upper end Toyota). Well I have less than 70k miles on it and so far have had to replace an 02 sensor, Halogen Head lamp, Water Pump and Wheel Bearings. On my other toyotas absolutely nothing with over 100k on all of them. Is this typical on lexus cars? How has yours held up?
I purchased my Lexus from Lawrence Lexus, certified pre-owned in early 2011, 44k. I have taken my Lexus back 7 times. Wheel bearing and assemblies on the 2 front, rear, and left. I am not a mechanic and I own three other cars Toyota, Ford and they are 8+ years old and they ride beautifully. Each time they replace or fix wheel bearings the car rides beautiful for maybe 3 months. I have complained about tire banging, pulling when turning corners and when on uneven roads the car has slippeage, very noisy and I dont fell safe driving in the car! I have rode out with the technician and he said that nothing is wrong with the car without driving it. The service manager said that the symptoms do not make sense! He said that wheel bearing issue is not related to my descriptions...after further research, I find that my description were almost accurate to the letter. I thought Lexus was high end and professional. I was going to go to a newer model and it all comes down to customer service. I am going for a second opinion next week with independent mechanic. Is this the procedure? second opinion? then what?

Last edited by colymon; 10-17-12 at 06:25 PM. Reason: forgot mileage
Old 10-17-12, 07:04 PM
AURORA4DTH
Driver School Candidate

colymon, turns out wheel bearings are indeed a big issue with these cars. I did some xtra research after mine went bad and there are tons of people with the same issues. I have owned maybe 10 cars and many with well over 100k on them. NOT ONCE have i had a wheel bearing issue until this car. I really thought i would love lexus when i got it but each and every problem that arises causes me regret in going that route. I am really hoping my problems are done for a while.
Old 10-17-12, 07:46 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If the wheel bearings have been replaced and then fail again shortly afterwards then it's possible that they were damaged during installation and/or the mating parts (the hub, the steering knuckle, the driveaxle) were damaged/worn (very often from an earlier bearing failure) and were not checked by whomever was doing the repair.
Old 10-18-12, 04:13 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I recently had my radiator and tie rods replaced. The radiator was cracked and leaking due to my wife hitting something on the interstate. It's difficult to avoid bouncing items during rush hour traffic. It wasn't bad though. There was just enough antifreeze on the garage floor for me to notice something and take it in for a look.

Lately, I had been hearing and feeling a little "thump" when turning in parking lots. I was worried that it was a CV joint but in the past, there was more than a single noise. Basically, as I would turn, the slack in the tie rod would release and the inside front wheel would move slightly.
Old 10-18-12, 07:22 AM
unklexus
Rookie

Well, in defense of Hyundai, my wife's Tucson, in 86,000 miles, has only had a set of brakes put on it a and that was just a couple of months ago. Otherwise regular maintenance for 7 years. She won't turn loose of it for love or money.

I think there's a bad apple/banana/grape in every basket/bunch/vine and one can only keep their fingers crossed that they aren't buying it when they sign on the dotted line. Not much else you can do.

Having trolled many forums over the years it's obvious every single car model has issues of some sort or another. You can lower the odds by paying attention to reviews, polls, forums, etc. but in the end there are no guarantees.
Old 10-22-12, 07:02 AM
frankbcnt
Driver

I just waxed my 1 yr old tundra ( has 3m shield thank god) and it looks awesome then i pull it in the driveway next to the Lexus and wanna throw up . The more I look at it the more it pisses me off. The car is black and there is a million white dots all over the front end . I was gonna have the hood and front clip painted but the fenders have it, a pillars and roof too it isn't going to match. Damnit why the F do i have to paint a 2 yr old 40k car?!?!? She drove her accord on the hwy too and didn't look this bad....
Old 10-22-12, 07:22 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have found that Lexus paint is softer than the US manufacturers. My 2007 chipped so easy but I will say this, my 2011 Red ES350 is not as prone to chipping or scratching versus my dark blue 2007 was.
Old 10-22-12, 02:53 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=frankbcnt;7556300]
The car is black and there is a million white dots all over the front end . I was gonna have the hood and front clip painted but the fenders have it,
QUOTE]

The last two cars I needed to have hoods & bumpers repainted, chipped even faster then the OEM finish. Clear film "bras" are the only cure.
Old 10-22-12, 03:41 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Wax front end with black high gloss Kiwi. It is a black wax for boots, it will fill in the white and make it back. Once you have that done follow up with your regular wax. At least no more white dots....
Old 10-24-12, 09:22 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
Wax front end with black high gloss Kiwi. It is a black wax for boots, it will fill in the white and make it back. Once you have that done follow up with your regular wax. At least no more white dots....
I don't suppose this will work on Smokey Granite?

The front of my car looks like swiss cheese.
Old 10-24-12, 10:11 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
so you're actually suggesting putting shoe polish on your car? Please people, don't do this.

Originally Posted by Macklin
I don't suppose this will work on Smokey Granite?

The front of my car looks like swiss cheese.
you could try touch up paint, but it'll just look worse. Better to shoot the bumper and have the clear bra installed.
Old 10-25-12, 12:16 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Kiwi is a very high quality natural wax, wax doesn't care what it is on, it will polish anything. I spend 8 years in the Army and 1 year at a military academy, I know polishing... I refrain from explaining how to light it on fire and burn in.....

On a black car with white paint chips, black kiwi is a Godsend. It will fill in the white and make it black, then go over it with your favorite wax afterwards.

Quick Reply: How is Your lexus Holding Up? Mines not