ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Newbie satellite question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 01:29 PM
Assassinus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie satellite question

Hi guys, this is my first post. I just purchased a 2008 lexes ES 350 pebble beach edition and I want to get satellite radio setup. The dealer says I need a router and antenna and and they will set it up for 600. So my question is, is this accurate and do you have any suggestions of models and places to purchase that will not charge an arm and a leg!
Old 08-22-12, 01:55 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

VAIS makes a superb XM set-up for the ES. You can buy the entire kit for as little as $250 online or try eBay. The kit includes everything you need. Installation can be done by car stereo shops for about $100 if you don't feel like tearing the interior of your car apart yourself. The only "challenge" is installing the the antenna. My entire expense was around $350.

AFAIK, you don't need a router. I can't imagine why you were told that. You DO need an XM receiver, which comes in the VAIS kit.

Lastly, VAIS has about the best customer service I have ever encountered.
Old 08-22-12, 01:58 PM
Assassinus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RickC5
VAIS makes a superb XM set-up for the ES. You can buy the entire kit for as little as $250 online or try eBay. The kit includes everything you need. Installation can be done by car stereo shops for about $100 if you don't feel like tearing the interior of your car apart yourself. The only "challenge" is installing the the antenna. My entire expense was around $350.

AFAIK, you don't need a router. I can't imagine why you were told that. You DO need an XM receiver, which comes in the VAIS kit.

Lastly, VAIS has about the best customer service I have ever encountered.
Is it possible they said that because I have the navigation setup in my ES?
Old 08-23-12, 08:21 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Assassinus
Is it possible they said that because I have the navigation setup in my ES?
Doubtful. Seems like typical stealer obsfucation to me.

The VAIS kit comes with an XM receiver, an interface module (about the size of a pack of cigs), an XM antenna, and necessary cables/connectors. Everything except the antenna tucks in behind the head unit with no problem.

Having removed my head unit twice--I also have the factory NAV--I can state that it isn't a terribly difficult job. Running the antenna wire is the biggest challenge if you want to DIY. I had my antenna installed in the middle of the leading edge of the trunk lid.

There are several threads here on this topic. I would read them if I were you as they are full of additional info.
Old 08-23-12, 11:09 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I added XM to my aftermarket head unit. I installed my XM antenna beside my factory XM antenna. It's been there fore 3 years and I have had one person ask what those 2 bumps were on my trunk.
Old 08-23-12, 12:14 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you can find one get the factory satellite system. The problem is that they are not readily available anymore so you may need to shop. All of the installation is done in the trunk so you don't have to take the head unit out. It's basically plug and play...

Check out this link as they still show up on their site.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...egoryID=122339

You'll need the tuner kit and the fit kit so be sure to read all the literature for this. Rather than istalling the antenna on the trunk I put it on the rear deck by running the wire through the 3rd brake light hole.
Old 08-23-12, 12:21 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking at the site again it appears that the XM radio kit is all inclusive now. When I purchased mine I had to get the one for the NAV system but now it appears that one kit takes care of NAV or non NAV. Also there is no note about needing a fit kit. Check with someone at Champion to be sure.
Old 08-23-12, 09:00 PM
Assassinus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advise guys!! It really helped!! I ended up going with the Vais kit and with installation it was 200 less than the dealer. And apparently they are the ones who supply the units for the dealer! It pays to shop around!!