ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 02:25 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Then also bear in mind that you will no longer have high beams...which is an important safety issue.
Not true. The DRL takes the low voltage current and upconverts it to a higher voltage. When you flick the headlights on at night, there's no current going to the high beams. Flick the high beams on, it's full voltage current being sent, passes straight through the high beams, they still come on.
Old 10-01-12, 02:30 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

On the 2010-2012 the dealer doesn't even have to do it, you can do it through the customizations menu on the nav screen....assuming you've got nav.
Really?
I didn't know that.I guess my service advisor didn't know that either.Not many would ask to turn off DRLs.
Thanks Steve.
Old 10-01-12, 02:45 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Really?
I didn't know that.I guess my service advisor didn't know that either.Not many would ask to turn off DRLs.
Thanks Steve.
yeah, same thing would happen if you installed the LED bulbs without the relay, it'd be off during the day but with full current they'd still light up.

Friendly tip, don't ask Lexus SA's about aftermarket parts/mods
Old 10-01-12, 02:53 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
yeah, same thing would happen if you installed the LED bulbs without the relay, it'd be off during the day but with full current they'd still light up.

Friendly tip, don't ask Lexus SA's about aftermarket parts/mods
Never!
As far as the LED DRL,don't you lose the high beams?
The LEDs can't produce lumen light output light like a halogen bulb.
Old 10-01-12, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,702 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Not true. The DRL takes the low voltage current and upconverts it to a higher voltage. When you flick the headlights on at night, there's no current going to the high beams. Flick the high beams on, it's full voltage current being sent, passes straight through the high beams, they still come on.
If you have replaced the high beam bulb with an LED, the LED lamp does not put out the same output as the original halogen lamp. The light will light up, but you won't have effective high beams like you do now. They won't put any light output down the road...when you hit the highs you'll essentially have...DRLs.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Really?
Thanks Steve
No problem, lots of stuff you can customize in the menu, if you have nav you really don't need the dealer for anything anymore. Play around in vehicle customizations, you can do the DRLs, auto lock unlock, light timers, etc.
Old 10-01-12, 03:02 PM
chefchoy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what bulb does it take, thinking of ordering those too. Did they say how long was the backorder?
Old 10-01-12, 03:26 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

No problem, lots of stuff you can customize in the menu, if you have nav you really don't need the dealer for anything anymore. Play around in vehicle customizations, you can do the DRLs, auto lock unlock, light timers, etc.
I know of the other customizing but never thought the DRLs would be a turnoff item due to thinking it was against the law.I also never felt I needed to made any adjustments to the factory settings.
When I had my IS350,some on that forum said their dealers wouldn't turn off the DRLs.
Old 10-01-12, 03:30 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

If you have replaced the high beam bulb with an LED, the LED lamp does not put out the same output as the original halogen lamp. The light will light up, but you won't have effective high beams like you do now. They won't put any light output down the road...when you hit the highs you'll essentially have...DRLs.
yes and no....they do have a considerably less output than a high power halogen...on an empty road with just your lights, the multiple LEDs in the reflector housing will throw some light. Whether that gets washed out by your low beams below the cutoff, or other oncoming cars, i dunno. But if there's oncoming cars you shouldn't have your beams on anyway
Old 10-01-12, 03:34 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

yes and no....they do have a considerably less output than a high power halogen...on an empty road with just your lights, the multiple LEDs in the reflector housing will throw some light. Whether that gets washed out by your low beams below the cutoff, or other oncoming cars, i dunno. But if there's oncoming cars you shouldn't have your beams on anyway
I have 28 LED fog bulbs and they match the HID pretty well but don't throw out much light.
I really don't care but do like the look.
High beams I want as I visit my daughter and friends who live in a country setting with no street lights and plenty of deer..
Old 10-01-12, 04:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,702 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Right...SOME light, but for all intents and purposes you are basically removing the function of the high beams and trading that in on a cosmetic improvement like LED DRLs. In the US vehicles are required to have high beams, so essentially after this "upgrade" your vehicle is no longer street legal.

Not cool IMHO, we all have to share the public roadways with each other, and you may think that you never use your high beams, well you don't use them until you need them...and with this upgrade when you need them they won't be there. As that person who might be walking along that dark road one night with you driving along with no high beams...I'd appreciate it if you kept your car at least street legal.
Old 10-02-12, 01:22 AM
jacobjohn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quick question. If I choose to put HIDs (w/ a kit of course ) as my DRLs, will I be losing my high beam functionality or will it work the same way as stock?
Old 10-02-12, 07:09 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jacobjohn
quick question. If I choose to put HIDs (w/ a kit of course ) as my DRLs, will I be losing my high beam functionality or will it work the same way as stock?
If you install a PnP HID kit in your high beams, you will need the same type of relay as I posted for the LED bulbs. Reason being, the HID kit will not run on the lower voltage signal sent to run the DRLs.

The downside of this is that it's going to be like driving around with HID High beams on during the day. And if you lived/drove in the oncoming direction while on the road with me, I'd probably hate you. That and I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

Don't be one of those d-bags with blinding HIDs on all the time. If you install HIDs, aim them properly, and use when necessary.
Old 10-02-12, 05:25 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you install a PnP HID kit in your high beams, you will need the same type of relay as I posted for the LED bulbs. Reason being, the HID kit will not run on the lower voltage signal sent to run the DRLs.

The downside of this is that it's going to be like driving around with HID High beams on during the day. And if you lived/drove in the oncoming direction while on the road with me, I'd probably hate you. That and I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

Don't be one of those d-bags with blinding HIDs on all the time. If you install HIDs, aim them properly, and use when necessary.
Awww man, that freaking sucks. I hate that stock yellow DRLs, but I don't want to lose the functionality of having highbeams...and I would hate to be the douche that drives around during the day with my high-beams blasting....