ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 as my first car and need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-12, 03:25 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Samgyeop:

I've attached an image. Take a quick look.

1. On the left are two gauges. One is the Tachometer, which tells you how fast the engine is going. It's the larger of the two. The smaller one (on the bottom left) is the water temperature in the engine.
2. On the right are two gauges. The large one is your speed (you already know this), and the lower is your fuel gauge.
3. In the center of this picture, you see four letters in a column (P R N D) and then an S to the left. When you are driving the car forward, you typically want to have the "D" light up GREEN. In this image, the person is parked, with the car in "P" - see how it's lit up green? You will only ever have one of these 5 letters lit up at any one time. They're all affected by the shifter off to your right.

If you see the "S" light up green, you will see a little number immediately above the green "S". This is the sport mode / gear select mode, where you can change the gear using the shifter. Don't worry about this mode right away. However - if you do find yourself with a green "S", grab the shift lever and push it to the RIGHT. This will put the car back into Drive mode "D" and light up the D icon green.

When the car is in "D" it will shift automatically for you. "S" means you have to shift it - certain situations notwithstanding.
Attached Thumbnails ES350 as my first car and need help-screenshot023.jpg  
Old 10-02-12, 03:28 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mlacomb
Samgyeop:

1. On the left are two gauges. One is the Tachometer, which tells you how fast the engine is going. It's the larger of the two. The smaller one (on the bottom left) is the water temperature in the engine.
2. On the right are two gauges. The large one is your speed (you already know this), and the lower is your fuel gauge.
3. In the center of this picture, you see four letters in a column (P R N D) and then an S to the left. When you are driving the car forward, you typically want to have the "D" light up GREEN. In this image, the person is parked, with the car in "P" - see how it's lit up green? You will only ever have one of these 5 letters lit up at any one time. They're all affected by the shifter off to your right.

If you see the "S" light up green, you will see a little number immediately above the green "S". This is the sport mode / gear select mode, where you can change the gear using the shifter. Don't worry about this mode right away. However - if you do find yourself with a green "S", grab the shift lever and push it to the RIGHT. This will put the car back into Drive mode "D" and light up the D icon green.

When the car is in "D" it will shift automatically for you. "S" means you have to shift it - certain situations notwithstanding.
you're an enabler.
Old 10-02-12, 03:44 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just call me helpy mchelperton!
Old 10-02-12, 05:14 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mlacomb
Samgyeop:

This is actually false. As far as the ES is concerned, the "gear selector" is actually a gear limiter. The number on the dash tells you what gear will be the "max" and you can decide to increase this max or decrease it. You are not actually selecting which gear the engine will be on, you are only selecting the maximum number of gears that your transmission can shift.

People have this false belief that you can change your automatic to a manual with this "fake Tiptronic," AKA gear limiter, by changing the limiter to one, accelerate, then "shift" into second gear by changing the limiter to 2. All you are actually doing is changing the maximum gears to 2, allowing the transmission to shift into second gear. Sadly, lexus is one of the few companies that has this "fake Tiptronic," without actually explaining what their version of tiptronic actually is. I know that the g35 has full range tiptronic that allows you to actually shift the gears. I believe the F-line of lexus also has the full range tiptronic.

Sometimes when i drive, I leave my car in S-mode, having my limiter to 5 (when not on the highway) and the transmission will shift just fine.

Last edited by jacobjohn; 10-02-12 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-02-12, 06:16 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jacobjohn
This is actually false. As far as the ES is concerned, the "gear selector" is actually a gear limiter. The number on the dash tells you what gear will be the "max" and you can decide to increase this max or decrease it. You are not actually selecting which gear the engine will be on, you are only selecting the maximum number of gears that your transmission can shift.

People have this false belief that you can change your automatic to a manual with this "fake Tiptronic," AKA gear limiter, by changing the limiter to one, accelerate, then "shift" into second gear by changing the limiter to 2. All you are actually doing is changing the maximum gears to 2, allowing the transmission to shift into second gear. Sadly, lexus is one of the few companies that has this "fake Tiptronic," without actually explaining what their version of tiptronic actually is. I know that the g35 has full range tiptronic that allows you to actually shift the gears. I believe the F-line of lexus also has the full range tiptronic.

Sometimes when i drive, I leave my car in S-mode, having my limiter to 5 (when not on the highway) and the transmission will shift just fine.
eh, you're only half right. The ES definitely doesn't give you the same kind of license as other tiptronic cars, but it definitely will hold on in that gear longer. It won't let you start in a higher gear, but definitely does allow for more control vs. 'full auto' mode.
Old 10-03-12, 10:32 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Read the owner's manual!!
Old 10-03-12, 11:31 AM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Doesn't anybody else have the feeling that the OP is simply jerking everyone's chains? Other than telling the OP to read the Owner's Manual I don't think anything else needs to be stated.
Old 10-03-12, 11:35 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oldgrump
Doesn't anybody else have the feeling that the OP is simply jerking everyone's chains? Other than telling the OP to read the Owner's Manual I don't think anything else needs to be stated.
Troll for sure!!
Old 10-03-12, 11:36 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

unfortunately, it's all too likely that the OP is dead serious...I dunno if you've been on the roads lately but teen drivers these days are awful.
Old 10-03-12, 11:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I actually thought the same thing and that's why I didn't post.
Old 10-03-12, 11:41 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I agree, bordering on incompetent. There has to be some "lowest common denominator" in order to pass a driving test. I know in Texas, if you get your license before 18, you have to take a driver's ed. class. These things would have been covered BEFORE getting a license.

I still say troll.
Old 10-03-12, 11:43 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I actually thought the same thing and that's why I didn't post.
I had to actually edit my initial post to make it PG-13. Was thinking something FAR more harsh, but had to say something.
Old 10-03-12, 05:35 PM
kewl
Rookie

Don't you have to wonder about the people that would even let OP drive in the first place, much less provide a hand-me-down vehicle? Provide, meaning to either allow to buy or actually give outright. I think those people need some kind of legal review given that their judgment ability has to be called into question.

Last edited by kewl; 10-04-12 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-03-12, 08:19 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kewl
Don't you have to wonder about the people that would even let OP drive in the first place, much less provide a hand-me-down vehicle? Provide meaning either allow to buy or actually give outright. I think those people need some kind of review given that their judgment ability has to be called into question.
common sense aint common. And most people have more money than common sense. I see these type of kids near me all the time, parents buy little johnny a brand new rwd benz or bmw because he wants it and itll make him totally cool at school. Then johnny takes it out one night screwing around and smacks it into a guardrail because he lost control and they just pay to have it fixed and give the car back.
Old 10-05-12, 03:11 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

haha, I think most of us WANTS this to be a troll post...but sadly...it might not be one...

Quick Reply: ES350 as my first car and need help