ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

aftermarket sound system

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 05:18 AM
ChristianM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_J
Is that a ported box? If so, you are definitely not giving the port room enough to breath and that changes your tuning frequency.
Pretty sure its ported, I can see the port wall through the sub cutout. And robert is right, you can trust his judgement. It looks as if your smothering the port opening which is terrible for any subwoofer. Not to mention, judging by the inside of the box, im not sure if you sanded the edges of the wood that make up that port wall. They should be sanded a bit to make sure there are no sharp edges along the port and will help eliminate port noise. But hey, im just saying
Old 10-15-12, 07:03 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Smooth walls do very little to combat port turbulence. It's mostly a combination of port size and air velocity. Sharp corners are a usually not a big deal but I avoid them if possible.

I know most people don't have this type of equipment but if the OP can find someone with Woofer Tester, they could run an impedance sweep with the box outside of the car and then one inside the car. I'll bet the tuning is lowered a lot. By restricting the port, it's the equivalent of both lengthening the port and making it smaller.
Old 10-15-12, 09:15 AM
LEXUS951
Driver School Candidate

Yes it a ported box and we'll we built it to the specs of the w6 the ones that came in the owners manual

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 10-15-12, 12:04 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

The specs don't take into account putting the port up against the back seat of a car.
Old 10-15-12, 02:06 PM
LEXUS951
Driver School Candidate

Well the box is not directly up against the seat there is about 7-9 inches in front of the port and the seat and it sounds great

Old 10-16-12, 03:49 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXUS951
Well the box is not directly up against the seat there is about 7-9 inches in front of the port and the seat and it sounds great

The picture in post #11, the top of the port is way too close to the back of the seat to keep the box at the desired tuning frequency. How much change is there? Probably not much. You probably dropped the tuning 5 or 6 hz at the most. That's not a big deal and probably only noticeable with measuring equipment.
Old 10-16-12, 06:58 PM
RTSM
Driver

Here's my install (warning crappy iPod photos). Installed myself with a on-off switch and bass control (keep it off when wife and inlaws are in the car). I have a family so I don't have a lot of free time to dedicate to the install but I am happy with the outcome. I choose the smallest components I could find to keep things out of the way since I always have to load the trunk up. The Rockford Fosgate amp, Audio Control LOC and the dual JL's are a awesome match and fit nicely. Btw, I mounted my amp and LOC on the bulkhead under the rear deck and with careful navigation using a trusty bent coat-hanger I was able to route the majority of the cables in the bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails aftermarket sound system-014.jpg   aftermarket sound system-imgp2317a.jpg  
Old 10-16-12, 08:24 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nicely done man, that's a really clean install. What kind of JLs? I had 12w3v2s in a couple of my past SUVs and even with only ~350w running to them they always slammed, took anything I ever threw at them. Bet she sounds pretty now.
Old 10-17-12, 08:21 PM
RTSM
Driver

Hey Jcat, this is the JL CS210-WXv2, ok for mid bass punch and the sonic range fits closely with the ML bass drop-off. I tried JL's single 10" ported HO sub and that thing provided awesome sub sonic bass around 40hz however there seemed to be a gap between where the ML sonic range drops off and where the JL HO sub performs. If I had the time and extra $ I would of went with a mid bass upgrade in the car and kept the HO sub. Overall I'm happy with my install, do this mod, it definitely changed the way the system performs as the ML system already has good mids, highs and spatial sound.
Old 10-18-12, 07:16 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RTSM
Hey Jcat, this is the JL CS210-WXv2, ok for mid bass punch and the sonic range fits closely with the ML bass drop-off. I tried JL's single 10" ported HO sub and that thing provided awesome sub sonic bass around 40hz however there seemed to be a gap between where the ML sonic range drops off and where the JL HO sub performs. If I had the time and extra $ I would of went with a mid bass upgrade in the car and kept the HO sub. Overall I'm happy with my install, do this mod, it definitely changed the way the system performs as the ML system already has good mids, highs and spatial sound.
Yeah, see I don't even have ML, so I'd almost have to upgrade the door drivers to fill the gap between it and the sub.