ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Is the ES350 Really That Great?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 06:20 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

smarty666.......you really do need to read your Owner's Manual sect. 1-2 "Opening, closing and locking the doors and trunk" (around pages 29-32). It'll only **** you off more, but you'll have seen what everyone has been telling you, in writing. Normal electronic key battery life is listed to be 1 to 2 years (mine is coming up on two years). I guess you can either make the required adjustments in the handling of your key/s (like myself and others have done) or you can just keep prematurely replacing the batteries. But, as suggested above, maybe it's just time to move on.
If you haven't hit something or dropped a wheel into a hole hard enough to bend something then the dealer does need to have a closer look at the alignment issue.......something isn't right. The alignment just doesn't just come out of alignment that easily if procedures are followed correctly. Have you tried contacting Lexus Customer Support?
Old 10-31-12, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by smarty666
Quit puffing the magic dragon already. Do you know how stupid that sounds? I didn't realize having a cell phone and coins in the vicinity of an intelligent key was such an "unusual" environmental circumstance. C-mon, give me a break.
Like the other posters have said, read the owners manual. Normal battery life is 1-2 years, owners manual says to replace the battery every year.

Different things effect the life of the battery, proximity to other smart keys, cell phones, interference with other things in your house. If all of us have normal battery life, and you don't...why is that? You say you are dissatisfied with Lexus, but the first step to helping someone who provides you service to cure your dissatisfaction is to figure out what you want them to do. So my question stands...what do you wants them to do? You got two keys with the car, have you tried switching the key you carry to see if one of them is faulty?

Would you like to see them give you a new key? What do you want them to do?

I also might suggest that if you are trying to get some satisfaction to this and any other concerns from the dealer, after you decide specifically what you would like to see them do for you, you should be avoid being rude.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-31-12 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-03-12, 08:37 AM
smarty666
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read the owners manual, and 1-2 years would normally be right for replacing the battery in the intelligent keys. Problem is, I'm having to replace them every 3-4 months, which is not normal.

I keep the intelligent key in one pocket, by itself, in my pants, and my cell phone, wallet in my other pockets. What more can I do? The battery still gets drained. I don't keep them near other intelligent keys

I will give Lexus credit, they are, going to give me a third intelligent key, free of charge, to see if it might just be a problem with the two that I have.

I personally don't think it is, but I'm at least willing to try. If it does turn out, that the third intelligent key gets drained after 3-4 months, then that means, even keeping it separate in my 1 pocket from everything else, is still draining it. I have kept my Acura, Nissan, and Audi intelligent keys exactly the same way in my pants pockets and have never had a problem with the key battery being drained in any of them. At least not, until I had these Lexus keys.

And BTW, despite having a Lexus, I'm not made of money, I can't simply get rid of the car without a huge financial hit which I can't afford, so that is not an option.

Granted, the seat cushion and intelligent key issue is not preventing me from driving the car, just preventing me from fully enjoying the ES350 as I did when I first got it last summer.

Last edited by smarty666; 11-03-12 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-03-12, 11:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by smarty666
I will give Lexus credit, they are, going to give me a third intelligent key, free of charge, to see if it might just be a problem with the two that I have.

I personally don't think it is, but I'm at least willing to try. If it does turn out, that the third intelligent key gets drained after 3-4 months, then that means, even keeping it separate in my 1 pocket from everything else, is still draining it. I have kept my Acura, Nissan, and Audi intelligent keys exactly the same way in my pants pockets and have never had a problem with the key battery being drained in any of them. At least not, until I had these Lexus keys.
I'll say it again, something is interacting with your intelligent keys that is draining the battery. All our keys are fine, so there has to be something in your environment that causes problems. If the third key also drains...its something in your environment. The only other option is that something is in all of our environments that prolongs our battery life, that is somehow missing in yours.

Things can interfere with these keys. For instance, I live in a townhome community and ever since my new neighbor next door moved in something interferes with my smart key in my garage sometimes. No idea what it is...but its something.

The key spends much more time out of the car than in the car.

And BTW, despite having a Lexus, I'm not made of money, I can't simply get rid of the car without a huge financial hit which I can't afford, so that is not an option.
But you can buy a $1.50 battery...even if you had to replace the batteries every 3 months, 4 times a year, we're talking about $6 a year. PITA for sure...but still...

Granted, the seat cushion and intelligent key issue is not preventing me from driving the car, just preventing me from fully enjoying the ES350 as I did when I first got it last summer.
My advice would be to lighten up. Seriously, these are minor issues. The dealer will add padding to the seat, they always do.
Old 11-04-12, 12:20 PM
smarty666
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
But you can buy a $1.50 battery...even if you had to replace the batteries every 3 months, 4 times a year, we're talking about $6 a year. PITA for sure...but still...

My advice would be to lighten up. Seriously, these are minor issues. The dealer will add padding to the seat, they always do.
Both excellent points. I'm picking up the new key fob tomorrow and will ask them about putting padding in the butt cushion of the drivers seat. The top/back section has been wearing nicely on the car.
Old 11-05-12, 12:09 PM
CQRT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I've been fotunate with my old `07 - - at 54k miles, we've had none of these quirky issues and the car has pretty much performed as advertised. We sold my wife's ES330 last Spring and replaced it with the new Camry - - it's a nice car but hardly the ride or quiet feel of the Lexus.

You guys with the newer models make me feel like I better keep my old one a while longer - - sorry you're having such issues . . like I said- we're lucky I guess.

Now the 5 benzes we had before getting into lexus - -now that's another story!

CQRT in AZ